Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
aladin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
HyperPro Steering Damper on the way - Any installation advice?

I got my UPS notice today that the HyperPro steering damper is on the way. I have a 2011 GS (not Adventure) and I ordred the RSC Active version (see link below)

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Dampers

I have a Touratech hard part (steering stop) installed (see link)

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...DV-matte-BLACK

How complex is the installation? Is this something that I should take to the dealer?

Thanks for your feedback.
aladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Sir Dave
Big Dave

Oddometer: 67
see this thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596803

ordered one yesterday, spoke with rep. re. installation...just bolt on....TT fork guard (i forget what TT calls the thing) should not be a problem. There is a pic in the thread from someone with the TT add-on showing the hyperpro sitting just above the TT product....should not be an issue.
Ride Safe
Old 01-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Patagonian Fox
nOOb, not any more

Oddometer: 283
easy

easy instalation, make sure before tie down the all kit that the piston is NOT touch the cilinder, oder way you'll losse capacity of estering in one way, follow the instruction
with Tauratech will fit no problem as I read in this forum.
I got one for more than 6 month and help me in all terrain, well money spend, see pic's

Cheers.......Omar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladin View Post
I got my UPS notice today that the HyperPro steering damper is on the way. I have a 2011 GS (not Adventure) and I ordred the RSC Active version (see link below)

How complex is the installation? Is this something that I should take to the dealer?

Patagonian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Take pix of your install and post them after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aladin View Post

And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Fork Clamp Issues?

Wondering if anyone else has had issues with not being able to tighten down the steering clamp all the way on the left fork leg because the two clamp pieces butt up against each other before reaching full clamping force?

I had to file down all four edges .5mm to to ensure the clamp was biting down on the fork leg sufficiently. Until I did this, the clamp would slip on the fork leg under the force of turning. Not something you want happening while your our on the road or trail!

Klaus was kind enough to send me a second clamp when I shared this issue with him, but the second clamp was just like the first one I received.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
erkmania
Still Adventuring

Oddometer: 807
Good for Off-Road?

I hope this isn't too much off topic, but would anyone here choose this damper for off-road duty? My concern is that dirt grunge will damage the unit.

2011 BMW R1200GS, 2004 KTM 950, 1996 ATK 605 ESDS
erkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I have also question with respect to off-road. Deep gravel and sand tend to shake the front wheel pretty hard...I've even gone down from tank slappers on a GSA from this.

The way this thing is mounted (based on what I've seen in pictures) looks questionable to me. In a tank slapper, could this thing slip at the fork mount location and bind or pop off the trailing arm?
BostonGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,926
The idea of the stabilizer is to damp the motion so you never get tank slappers.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
"11 GSA, easy install just follow directions.
It will take 30 minutes if you read the instruction three times and you double check things three times and stand and look at it for ten minutes.

I started with two clicks from all the way undampened and stopped at 8 from a total of 22. I love it, makes it sturdy as a rock following 100 ft behind a cement truck at 60mph waiting to pass. The Bike stays put while the wind will blow you around. Turbulence and wind is a non-factor.

I have not tried it off road much yet but first indications it will be wonderful
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
TimothyCaseTimothy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Can anyone advise on an online location to buy these? Found a location once, a while back, but don't remember where I found 'em...thx!
TimothyCaseTimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
The idea of the stabilizer is to damp the motion so you never get tank slappers.
Yes, but the energy goes somewhere. My point is that when off-road riding you will put a lot of stress on the clamped mounting points...will they hold, slowly creep or even give. If that clamp on the fork rotates around a bit, it appears to me that your steering might lock up.

I have absolutely no problem with the GSA on the highway, even with high winds, so I'm not so worried about that environment, though if it improves something, great, but I personally wouldn't buy it for that reason.
BostonGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Undermoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I had my forks swapped out by the dealer, then some other work, and walla one day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
Yes, but the energy goes somewhere. My point is that when off-road riding you will put a lot of stress on the clamped mounting points...will they hold, slowly creep or even give. If that clamp on the fork rotates around a bit, it appears to me that your steering might lock up.

I have absolutely no problem with the GSA on the highway, even with high winds, so I'm not so worried about that environment, though if it improves something, great, but I personally wouldn't buy it for that reason.
+1 Man. From my own experience this is exactly the issue, and wish I'd bumped into this wisdom before adopting this solution. The GS has a huge turning radius, lots of movement that street bikes just don't have.

While turning the forks left and right manually, while negotiating a tight fit into the corner of my garage on a cold morning, I felt something slip.... ouch. What I then discovered is the torque spec made the bracket bite, but it was not making the bracket mate flush with the fork in it's circumference. The bracket would actually shift a little even though the screws had the correct torque applied. I am sure the bracket needs to mate properly in it's entire surface area to properly resist slipping.

So I could no longer get the clamp to properly bite/mate with the tube, and I too filed down the clamping feet of the bracket to allow more bracket bite. It seems to fit right now.

I'm not confident of this solution anymore and would recommend the top of steering tree damper for the GS, especially if you off road. I am hoping the filed down clamp fix does the trick, and like the suggestion of a rubber liner so I'll use a thin layer of silicone gasket seal.

Perhaps the thing to do is weld to the lower triple tree, less expensive than the fork and no structural issues along relatively thin membrane of the fork compared to the tree...

My first real GS blemish ... I knew there was a reason I didn't like fork clamps...

3/27 ***Found out dealer removed fork with bracket to fix the fork seal. Maybe the bracket can't be reused too much without properly inspecting the mate to the tube. In any event my confidence is back for the solution, had it for 8500 miles and not until human hands touched it did it fail. My dealer rocks and offered to replace blemished tube, might just use that "aluminum black" oxidizing dye to touch it up.

Undermoose screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 08:03 PM
Undermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 AM   #13
macadamia
XK Red 27 Technique

Oddometer: 1,338
I was originally going to purchase HyperPro but after having my ESA shocks upgraded to Wilbur's WESA shocks by The Beemer Shop, I went with this one. It is a Dutch built Yacugar damper. In these photos, you can also see the Touratech steering hard part installed on the Telelever. I removed it to install the damper but after realized it did not need to be removed.