User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
carfun3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Off Road tire pressure on the 1200GS

Ok, I have tried the search function and nothing showed up so I want to ask the guys that ride off road on their GS, what tire pressure they run. I have the cast wheels so I don't want to run it too low as to protect the wheels. Thanks for your input
carfun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
rider257
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I run around 10-15 less than normal, that is what I was told by rawhyde. Usually 25 24 front and back. I hast spokes but have never dinged a wheel.
rider257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
I run full air

I have cast and I have dinged mine, so I keep them aired up. The mid 20's is probably OK. It really depends on what type of surface you are riding on. If it is rocks, keep them aired up. If it is deep sand you can go to 19, 20 but you have to be careful of hitting the buried sharp object. Speed is the next issue. If you are going down a dirt road at 50, hitting anything at those speeds will require full air to hopefully save your wheels from a sharp pot hole or something similar, which is what got mine. The cast wheels are still pretty tough though. When I hit mine, I bottomed out the front shocks, to give you an idea of how hard I hit. If you will be going slow (which you should do given the weight of the bike) you should be fine in the low mid 20's.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
carfun3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thanks, I usually just leave them at full pressure and riding at high speeds off road, the bike feels like it is on marbles. I have changed to the K-76 Hiendau tires and have not tried them off road yet. On my dirt bikes I ran from 6 to 8lbs. I knew I did not want to run that low on cast wheels and a heavy bike. I will run these down around 24 and see how it goes. I know how I ride, so I want enough air in them to handle some speed bumps. I ordered a pump and plug kit to throw in the bike, I can't believe as long as I have been riding that I have never had this before. I guess I have been lucky. I hope this doesn't curse me! Thanks again
carfun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
a.c.s.
Complaining less

Oddometer: 244
20psi... Good for all day Gelande and Strasse, aber wurde ich es nicht nur auf den Strasse fahren...

-acs

Semper Fidelis
a.c.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
WildDuke
Dune Rider

Oddometer: 69
I used to run 4-6psi on my conti tkc 80's when riding in soft sand. Basically just enough air to keep the rim off the sand while riding. It performed amazingly, only lost air pressure once on the front tire after landing a really had jump.
WildDuke is offline   Reply With Quote