Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
srad600 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Question 990 Maintenance & Recording (KTMdealer.net)

So I've owned my 990 since June of 2012. Aside from the initial 600 mile maintenance, I've completed all of my own wrenching at home. I keep a fairly detailed record of all work done, any issues, and all items purchased for the bike in an excel file. This seems to work well for me. I'm preppring for my first K300a service by gathering all the filters/oils/o-rings/etc needed and reading the manual a few times to get the procedure straight in my head.

The one thing that bothers me about doing my own work is that the manual states that all work should be recorded on the KTMdealer.net website. I've browsed to it, but of course it's password protected and requires a username and password to log on.

So I began to wonder:
*Has anyone been able to obtain a username/pw from their dealer in order to log maintenance on their own bike (I thought this unlikely, but had to ask)?
*Has anyone been able to have their local dealer log the maintenance for them (i.e. - you do the work, and the dealer logs it into the website for you)?
*Anyone run into any warranty issues due to the fact that their maintenance was NOT logged into the KTMdealer website?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, but I'm curious... Seems like they need a KTMowner.net website.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
So I've owned my 990 since June of 2012. Aside from the initial 600 mile maintenance, I've completed all of my own wrenching at home. I keep a fairly detailed record of all work done, any issues, and all items purchased for the bike in an excel file. This seems to work well for me. I'm preppring for my first K300a service by gathering all the filters/oils/o-rings/etc needed and reading the manual a few times to get the procedure straight in my head.

The one thing that bothers me about doing my own work is that the manual states that all work should be recorded on the KTMdealer.net website. I've browsed to it, but of course it's password protected and requires a username and password to log on.

So I began to wonder:
*Has anyone been able to obtain a username/pw from their dealer in order to log maintenance on their own bike (I thought this unlikely, but had to ask)?
*Has anyone been able to have their local dealer log the maintenance for them (i.e. - you do the work, and the dealer logs it into the website for you)?
*Anyone run into any warranty issues due to the fact that their maintenance was NOT logged into the KTMdealer website?

I'm probably overthinking all of this, but I'm curious... Seems like they need a KTMowner.net website.
There are dozens of threads here about what's written in the KTM owners manual and whether it actually applies in the USA given the Magnuson Moss Act. Now, in Europe, the laws are different and they can require all repair work be dealer performed during the warranty period.

google: "site:advrider.com magnuson moss 950"

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. You just need to keep a log to show that you've done the required maintenance work on schedule. Of course if they can prove you've done something incorrectly which is material to the warranty claim, well all bets are off.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
srad600 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
google: "site:advrider.com magnuson moss 950"

In short, I wouldn't worry about it. You just need to keep a log to show that you've done the required maintenance work on schedule. Of course if they can prove you've done something incorrectly which is material to the warranty claim, well all bets are off.
Interesting, thanks for that. I'd never heard of that act before today. I'll continue on with my little spread sheet and not worry about the warranty.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote