User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,905
Help identifying this trailer!

Any clues who might have made this trailer? Axels swing and it has a rubber bump stop suspension. Thanks in advance!

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,258
I have no idea but I REALLY dig that design. I was designing a moto hauler for my FZ1 to haul my dirt bike to trails as a fun project and that picture cleans up a lot of small issues. I like the integrated chock/coupler mount, the simple struts that triangulate the rear end (as opposed to expensive rod ends I would have used).

It would be super simple to make one of those up, they sell the swing axles on ebay under motorcycle trailer, everyone has the tires, coupler, lights. Getting that channel bent would be a trip down to the sheet metal fabricator and then weld it up.

EDIT: I see how those axles work now, brilliant!! Can you get another shot close up of the suspension, I'd be interested if it looks like what I am thinking.

Appears the axle crossbar is the same profile as the center channel, so it appears you would just need to have one channel made, and cut the piece off for the axle tube. I wonder how the axles are located in their swing, friction?

EDIT2 lol: I have an idea, those eyelets for tie downs you could make the shank extra long and drill a oversized hole in the actual axle tube. The shank of the eyelet would keep the axle lateral and the oversized hole would keep it from binding. I think if you designed the axle tube pivot strong enough it would have enough meat to do most of the locating and prevent twisting and the bolt would be there as a backup.

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 06:35 AM
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,286
Looks home made to me.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Looks home made to me.
Definite mass produced to some extent, there is a sticker on it but all the info is faded beyond recognition except for the "complies with yada yada yada......"

More than likely a kit as it is all bolted together.

Richard
Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
condor 2
n00b

Oddometer: 5
trailer

That trailer was made by a company in california in the 1970 by the name of TUFF Trailer ,I have one use it with bmw k100rs,r1100rs,yamaha fz1,klr650,and xr400.never had a problem with it track nice upgraded to 12"tire,come apart easily to cary inside my suv.its a keeper.

t
condor 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
I will not use any trailer with under 12" wheels. I had a jet ski trailer with 10" wheels like that and I had so much trouble with bearings and tire blow outs until I upgraded to 13" wheels, then it was fine.

Other than the little wheels it looks quite useable.

Looks similar to these, maybe an older version?

http://stingertrailer.com/
Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

This trailer looks interesting for those, like myself, who live in a state that has trailer speed limits.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cycle-trailer/

In Cali we are limited to 55 mph whenever towing ANYTHING so a foldable trailer would be nice for picking up, or dropping off a bike and then driving home on a 70 mph hiway. 15 mph really adds up on a long drive and they are really cracking down on the towing speed limit.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor 2 View Post
That trailer was made by a company in california in the 1970 by the name of TUFF Trailer ,I have one use it with bmw k100rs,r1100rs,yamaha fz1,klr650,and xr400.never had a problem with it track nice upgraded to 12"tire,come apart easily to cary inside my suv.its a keeper.
t

Thanks much!!! Yea, I paid $75 for it and it had relativity new tires, rear lights and bearing buddies. Bearings look excellent, but the seals were seeping, so new just ordered.

I have a nice Aluminum 3 rail but travel with one bike often, this puts the bike right on the back bumper and low to the ground in the slipstream, so I am betting 5 mpg improvement to the 3 rail. First trip to the Smokey's in a month should pay for 2/3 of it in savings

Richard
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
zexel
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tuff-n-Lite trailer

An inmate uses one to tow a bike with a bike.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=213034&page=5
zexel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
I will not use any trailer with under 12" wheels. I had a jet ski trailer with 10" wheels like that and I had so much trouble with bearings and tire blow outs until I upgraded to 13" wheels, then it was fine.
I towed a 750 pound bike, 1600 miles on little wheels and tires. Except for actually wearing them out on the way home, they were fine. Had one spare and bought the other in a WalMart in SLC.

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

The smaller the wheel the faster it rotates at the same speeds.

The bearings spin really fast and the tires wear REALLY fast and that causes more blowouts.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

PFFOG,
Remember you always need to check your tongue weight, even on small and light trailers. 10% of total weight needs to be on the tongue...at least.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
The bearings spin really fast and the tires wear REALLY fast and that causes more blowouts.
Yeah, if the bearings are not maintained and the tires aren't the proper load range (there are two common load ranges in that size). I towed that bike in the heatwave last July, across half the country at 70-80 MPH (Utah has sections where that is legal and normal). No problems.

I'm not saying they don't turn more RPM but, they're also very usable if common sense and maintenance are applied.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
PFFOG OP
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
PFFOG,
Remember you always need to check your tongue weight, even on small and light trailers. 10% of total weight needs to be on the tongue...at least.
First thing I did was load the F800GS to check it, it was light, so axle already moved back 6". Going to weld a couple brackets and install a couple small fenders too, to reduce the spray in the rain, and run new wires to the lights. Then pressure wash and a rattle can or two of paint and I should be good for lots of years.

Richard

PFFOG screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 06:11 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #15
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,384
Quote:

+1 physics is physics ain't no getting around that. I don't even like 12" wheels/tires because of that. It's why Kendon switched from 12" to 13" wheels on their trailers

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote