ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
chainslapAZ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Elkins Flat/Placerville March 30-April 4

Going to be visiting my aunt in Shingle Springs from March 29th through the 4th. Was looking to bring my KTM 400 and do some single track riding whilst there. Anybody know if that area will be open and if so would like to do a ride? Pretty open on any of those days. AA/A level rider but I'm just looking for some good riding and company...but ugly technical is no problem...

I know nothing about the area so I would be open to other suggestions too! I'll also have my mountain bike so looking for suggestions on that, heard Auburn is good?

Geoff
chainslapAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Big_D
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Elkins is a great area to ride. It connects up with the Caldor Trail system as well. End o March is a wild card in terms of weather. These areas go from roughly 2500ft to above 5000ft, so if there has been recent snow you may have some trouble. Check the map, but I think PiPi Valley campground area is the lowest elevation. My guess is you should be able to ride, but you'll come across some snow patches. The area offers some great riding. If you want really technical stuff, go up to Georgetown. If these trails are open you will definitely get plenty of the ugly technical stuff. Bring a GPS, cause the trails aren't marked very well in Georgetown.
For mountain biking you are better off going towards Auburn. There are several great mtb trails in the Foresthill area.

Have fun!! Wish I could join you, but I'll be in Florida for work.
Big_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
chainslapAZ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thanks! I'll look into Georgetown. Know any good bike shops in Auburn that can direct me to some good loops or maps? I like to go in and support local shops when I can.
chainslapAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 323
Just for reference the El Dorado National forest is under it's winter closure until April 1. That date will probably be pushed out further as it gets closer like it does every year.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris666 View Post
Just for reference the El Dorado National forest is under it's winter closure until April 1. That date will probably be pushed out further as it gets closer like it does every year.
Hey with global warming and all, shouldn't that date be getting earlier every year?

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote