Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Ride to Valhalla (Trans Labrador Highway to Newfoundland) R1200GS

Take one burned out dude:

Add a bike (minus the considerate wife):

And take a trip to the Viking ruins at L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland:

Just woke up in Buffalo, NY after leaving Columbus after work last night. On way to Montréal. Will look at weather forecast at that time to plan approach. Clockwise may be best to give the hurricane time to wane.

BroughtMyWallet screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 08:27 PM
BroughtMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 988
Have a safe trip. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the trip.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
mortalsphere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Valhalla awaits us...

I'd love to see that. Subscribed... Please include pics along the way, and when you get there!
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
I'm in!

Great to find this thread, as I've just decided to try to do the Trans-Lab myself from the 1st to 14th of August. I'm planning on doing it counter-clockwise though. Is there a reason other than the possible effects of the hurricane that made you want to do it clockwise?

How long are you planning to take? Your home is Buffalo? I'm in Montreal.

I would love to hook up with another rider (or several) for either part or all of this trip, because at the moment I'm going to be doing it by myself. Are you riding alone? How much planning did you do for the trip? For me it's pretty much a last minute thing because I didn't know until today that I could have that time off.

Cheers!

Eldor
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #5
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

In Rivière du Loup for the night. Covered about 700 mi. of slab today from Buffalo. Crossed the border at Thousand Islands. Such a picturesque and fantastical area. The Border Service agent complimented me on my "onesie." Hit some nice back roads on my approach to Montreal and crossed the ferry to Oka (below) to meet my dad. Then through Quebec and beyond down the St. Lawrence. Given that the remnants of hurricane Arthur are just east of me, tomorrow I will begin the Trans Labrador Highway vs. taking the ferry from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland (clockwise vs. counterclockwise).

Old 07-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #6
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

Day 3 complete--from the St. Lawrence to Labrador City. Anakee 3s handled the gravel just fine.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

This is what happens when you make it to Baie Comeau after lunch and need to make Lab City at all costs:
Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

35.6 degrees Farenheit??? In the beginning of July? Gee...

Are you going to be doing any camping? Or mostly camping? How was the ferry crossing from Riviere du Loup?

And did you REALLY make it from Riviere du Loup (including the ferry crossing) to Labrador City in one day?

Wow!

Do you know what's the longest distance between gas stations on the trip?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

Yeah, it was a long day. Started around 9am and ended after midnight. Crossed at Trois Pistoles to Les Escoumins. I took a wrong turn in Quebec and ended up on the south bank of the St. Lawrence the day before. Cost me 1.5 hours on the ferry. Then I went up 139 east of Baie Comeau along the cliffs for a 15 mile diversion. At the end of the day I had been in the saddle or on the pegs for 15 hours.

I considered camping, however, the black flies swarm you within 30 seconds of stopping the bike.

Quebec to Labrador was GORGEOUS. Lab City to Churchill Falls is less picturesque. It has a Siberia vibe.

The longest stop between stations is 250 miles. That's tomorrow. I'm currently warming up in Churchill Falls community center--a restaurant called the Midway. Had an hour of 50 degree light rain coming in.

BroughtMyWallet screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 01:46 PM
Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

Day 2 of the Trans Lab ride added tropical storm Arthur as I approached the coast at Goose Bay. Rain, gusts to 20mph and temps down to 43 made things more interesting. Labrador has this Siberia vibe to it. I've never been to Siberia, but trust me. You can travel over 100 miles and not see a structure. This place is so incredibly desolate and raw. 385mi tomorrow to Blanc-Sablon.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #11
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Blackflies LOVE me, but I HATE them! That's something that strikes terror in my heart!

So you hadn't planned on any camping at all? Or have you got camping gear with you just in case? Are you finding motels without too much trouble? Did you make reservations in advance? I guess they must also be pretty expensive, considering there isn't much competition.

250 miles between gas isn't as bad as I'd thought. That's doable with my Rotapax and maybe a wee bit extra for safety margin.

And obviously you've got WiFi at that community center. Good stuff!

Keep the report and photos coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroughtMyWallet View Post
Yeah, it was a long day. Started around 9am and ended after midnight. Crossed at Trois Pistoles to Les Escoumins. I took a wrong turn in Quebec and ended up on the south bank of the St. Lawrence the day before. Cost me 1.5 hours on the ferry. Then I went up 139 east of Baie Comeau along the cliffs for a 15 mile diversion. At the end of the day I had been in the saddle or on the pegs for 15 hours.

I considered camping, however, the black flies swarm you within 30 seconds of stopping the bike.

Quebec to Labrador was GORGEOUS. Lab City to Churchill Falls is less picturesque. It has a Siberia vibe.

The longest stop between stations is 250 miles. That's tomorrow. I'm currently warming up in Churchill Falls community center--a restaurant called the Midway. Had an hour of 50 degree light rain coming in.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

Day 3 of Translab: Goose Bay to Blanc Sablon

Yesterday consisted on the most glorious 300 mi section of gravel I had ever seen. I met up with two Serb-Canadians, Sasha and Zoran. We had the speedo at 60-70 most of the way. The Anakees continued to be adequate in the gravel.

We stopped for fuel at Port Saint Hope. The GSW made that 250 mi. section without difficulty. The little bikes had to use gas cans en route.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 PM   #13
BroughtMyWallet OP
Adventurer

Newfoundland: L'anse aux Meadows

Our ever expanding group of ADVers about to board the ferry to St. Barbe:

Loading: lots of Beemers.

L'anse aux Meadows

BroughtMyWallet screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 09:02 PM
Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Gee, you seem to have made really fast progress. Blackflies so bad that you couldn't stop to take many photos?

Where (what towns and/or motels) did you end up staying at? Any problem getting accommodations?

Will you be checking out Gros Morne National Park? I hear it's really worth visiting and I will probably plan two nights there on my counter-clockwise loop.

Ride safe!
Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #15
mortalsphere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Beautiful! Looks like a great ride.
If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote