ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Rexford OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Lenoir / Morganton area...?

My wife and I along with the girlfriend ( The Bike ) are looking at moving to the towns of either Lenoir or Morganton NC. We will be out that way in June to look at those towns and any others you guys might suggest. Wanting something sorta small but with a FD and medical facilities nearby... Want this to be the last move! Oh yeah, the wife wants there to be a library. Retired so a job is not necessary!!!
Let me know what you guys think... and thanks in advance for your help.

God I love out there!

Redford,

'13 HD Sweet Glide....
Many others gone but not forgotten
Rexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
maxjett
maxjett

Oddometer: 489
Marion,NC is a other nice town to consider, all just at the foothills of the mountains with roads galore.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,352
I lived near Morganton on 181 near the BRP. Worked at Grace Hospital. I liked it alight, Spruce Pine is another option. Lenior is too flat for me, I rather be deeper in the hills. I would consider Morganton again, but I liked the Murphy area better or even into TN for cheaper living.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
BarberPole
Short of the Clacker

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford View Post
My wife and I along with the girlfriend ( The Bike ) are looking at moving to the towns of either Lenoir or Morganton NC. We will be out that way in June to look at those towns and any others you guys might suggest. Wanting something sorta small but with a FD and medical facilities nearby... Want this to be the last move! Oh yeah, the wife wants there to be a library. Retired so a job is not necessary!!!
Let me know what you guys think... and thanks in advance for your help.

God I love out there!

Redford,
Morganton and Lenoir are probably larger than you think. Marion is smaller but one can get into the surrounding country from all three very easily.
All three are hot in the summer. You need to get above 4000 to really find the cool summer temps.......but then winters are tough. Even Spruce Pine is warm in the summer. Banner Elk, Sugar Mtn, Seven Devils Mtn and Beech Mtn are the cooler spots.
Check out Newland, NC........small, friendly, and highest county seat east of Mississippi.
Boone is another great town. Larger than Lenoir/Morganton.

Let the Internet be your travel agent and guide.

Wonderful, wonderful motorcycle country here. On and off road.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
bess227
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
another option

If you are retired, look into N. Wilkesboro as well, Boone is very nice and a college town.

Wilkes County runs right up to the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Parkway. I live in Wilkes, it is about a 15 minute ride to the Parkway. In the grand scheme of things, houses are very reasonable here. You could be in mountains of Tn in about 2 hours or less, or at the beaches of South Carolina (Myrtle) in about four hours.

PM me if you have more questions, I have lived here for 26 yrs.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Rexford OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
@ Barberpole, when you say that it is hot in the summer how hot do you mean? I do need to be careful of too heavy winters....the steel in my back disagrees with to much cold.
@ everyone else.... Thank you all very much for the responses, will be looking into those areas as well

Rexford

'13 HD Sweet Glide....
Many others gone but not forgotten
Rexford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
All of NC is warm in the summer, biggest change for you will be humidity and bugs. Morganton, along the I40 corridor is going to be larger and busier than you probably realize. Lenoir / Taylorsville / Hiddenite are definitely worth checking out. The smaller mountain communities of Baner Elk / Blowing Rock are very nice but also fairly touristy. The N. Wilkesboro region is still under the radar and the surrounding towns mainly rural countryside. Anything in the Wiklesboro / Sparta / Jefferson / Elkin area will have mainly moderate winters and decent summers - real 4 seasons. Health providers adequate and with Winston Salem an hour away you have top notch medical close by. Lots to do and see in the foothills area. Cost of living reasonable and housing affordable. Hmmm, sounds like I like the area.

You won't go wrong most anywhere in NC, big cities are all the same. Anyplace within 90 minutes of Charlotte is caught up in it's sprawl / shadow. The mountain regions are nice. Asheville is great but larger and actually has a winter.

If you like riding and wandering you'll be happy in the region. A pleasant and active retirement is affordable.

4PawsHacienda screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 06:55 AM
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
thumpthumpthump
Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer: 168
I live near Lenoir. I ride down here year around. My buddies in Boone have been snowed in a lot this winter. Its snowing there now. Great riding in this area and when it gets too hot we go into Tenn. and Va. where its 10 degrees cooler.In summer when days are longer we do 150-300 miles a day up there. Easy to do 150 mile loops down here all off road. Gravel and forest roads mostly.
thumpthumpthump is offline   Reply With Quote