ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NE Mesa, AZ near Usery.
Oddometer: 1,248
21 year old daughter wants to learn to ride.

My daughter who has never even wanted to ride on the back of mt 990 said that she wants to learn to ride. And even said wants to buy a bike. My nephew has a 50 pit bike with a 90cc big bore kit and high bars she can learn on. I told her she would need a helmet, goggles, and gloves to start with and she ordered them today. So I guess she really wants to do this.

So my question is what would be a good bike for her? She wants to ride a family type enduro at some point.


She is, 5'8" maybe 120#. Not very athletic. She tends to be the type if it is to hard she gives up. But since she has her own money in it that will help. We are planning on moving west in the next year or so, she may move sooner. Probably be the Phoenix area. Looking for something bullet proof and low maintenance. I would like to see something that could get a street plate in AZ but it wouldn't get plated here in IL. But that might be a bike to two down the road if she like to ride.

Would a 125 or 140 be big enough? To big? What is the smallest street legal DS type bike? Or dirt bike you can get a plate for in AZ?

Thanks
__________________

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,817
You can plate anything in AZ

TTR-125? Make sure she learns off road first! I could not imagine learning on the street
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust + over sized header
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Chillis
Iron toocus
 
Chillis's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Spring Mountain Range
Oddometer: 3,926
I would steer her towards any of the following: DR200SE, CRF230L, TW200, XT225, Super Sherpa.

They are all light with seat heights easily managed and in un-intimidating but capable packages.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Speaking of dumps, that coffee is working for sure, gotta scurry and perch on the thundermug...

Chillis screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 09:45 PM Reason: predictive text screw up.
Chillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
You can plate anything in AZ

TTR-125? Make sure she learns off road first! I could not imagine learning on the street

You can plate almost anything in AZ. No 2 strokes. And if it doesn't have any kind of an electrical system to begin with, you will have to add a stator, battery, and all that stuff. Headlight, tail light, brake light, horn, license plate light, and a left side mirror are required. Turn signals are not required. I have made 2 dirt bikes and a quad street legal in AZ. It's even easier now since the emissions test is gone. I would recommend a DR200 or an XT225, both available used fairly cheap, but the seat height might be too much.

Both my daughters started riding dirt bikes at around age 8, and did so for several years. They never had any interest in street riding, and pretty much gave up riding altogether when they were grown.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Noone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
My daughter who has never even wanted to ride on the back of mt 990 said that she wants to learn to ride. And even said wants to buy a bike. My nephew has a 50 pit bike with a 90cc big bore kit and high bars she can learn on. I told her she would need a helmet, goggles, and gloves to start with and she ordered them today. So I guess she really wants to do this.

So my question is what would be a good bike for her? She wants to ride a family type enduro at some point.


She is, 5'8" maybe 120#. Not very athletic. She tends to be the type if it is to hard she gives up. But since she has her own money in it that will help. We are planning on moving west in the next year or so, she may move sooner. Probably be the Phoenix area. Looking for something bullet proof and low maintenance. I would like to see something that could get a street plate in AZ but it wouldn't get plated here in IL. But that might be a bike to two down the road if she like to ride.

Would a 125 or 140 be big enough? To big? What is the smallest street legal DS type bike? Or dirt bike you can get a plate for in AZ?

Thanks

Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic riders course. That is the place to start.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
ZJeepMI
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZJeepMI's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Plymouth, MI
Oddometer: 131
TW200 are really easy to learn on. I'd never even ridden a dirtbike let alone a street bike on pavement before I bought mine and I caught on real quick. The fat tires make it very predictable and stable. I'm glad I learned on that vs. my current XT225, but either one works fine. Low power, lightweight, easy handling is the ticket.
__________________
1999 Suzuki DR350SE - 2013 Specialized Crux Elite - 2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport


ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
exlogger
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 35
No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic riders course. That is the place to start.
Number one on the list before she buys a bike. After that whatever lifts her skirt after that.
exlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Mooncat
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic riders course. That is the place to start.
I agree. Take the basic rider course before anything else. Might as well start off with good habits. Plus in CA it waives the DMV riding test. Well worth the money.
Mooncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NE Mesa, AZ near Usery.
Oddometer: 1,248
Thanks for the replies so far. She looked into a class and the soonest one with space is well into June. She wants to take one. I just bought a DVD, MSF offroad riding last night in the FM. I don't see her riding a lot on the road, at least around IL. I stopped and looked at a few bikes today and I don't see her being comfortable on any of the street legal bikes I looked at. Still need to see a TW200 that would probably be the best bet for street legal. We are going to try to hit a few dealers so she can see what fits. I'm betting it will be a small trail bike in the 140-150 range. Mywife would like to learn to ride too but will not ride the street.
__________________

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
CRW
I dont want a pickle
 
CRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Cotati Ca. USA
Oddometer: 755
Buy a used Honda xr 100, cheap,low seat hight, not heavy.
Everyone will ride it.
__________________
06 KTM 950 ADV
2006 KTM 450 EXC
DMC FRAMED XR125
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 18,836
start there and she'll get her skills down fast.
you can easily resell those fast when she upgrades.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJeepMI View Post
TW200 are really easy to learn on. I'd never even ridden a dirtbike let alone a street bike on pavement before I bought mine and I caught on real quick. The fat tires make it very predictable and stable. I'm glad I learned on that vs. my current XT225, but either one works fine. Low power, lightweight, easy handling is the ticket.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
NM map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hesaid's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Central CA
Oddometer: 1,304
Everybody loves a TW200! At 5'8" she should have the inseam for any of the 200-250cc bikes, so that ought to help. Shesaid is splitting her time between her TW (the Wombat), and her DR650. Click some of the links in my signature line, and you can read more about it, but, as mentioned, everyone loves a TW. As long as they're not stuck behind one!

MV
__________________
DR Feelgood , Tipsy Wombat, Pinkfoot, FatCat, and how they got their names: What the hell is a wombat? And now, the tales of their adventures.
Hesaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
vintagespeed
fNg
 
vintagespeed's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonger, CA
Oddometer: 1,753
TU250, and get her riding out there where it's relatively "safe" before throwing her into the fray out West..

what we do out here is called "surviving", not riding.




i commute daily with these f*cking idiots and unfortunately see alot of downed riders. MSF course or not.
__________________
530EXCR and a bunch of 2 strokes that you dont want to read about. :)

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 12:58 PM Reason: blah
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer
 
orangebear's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: dumfrie scotland
Oddometer: 1,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post
You can plate anything in AZ

TTR-125? Make sure she learns off road first! I could not imagine learning on the street
The ttr 125 and 250 are both road legal from new. I would go for a 250 bike then get her to pass what ever the bike test is before she goes on to a big bike
__________________
suzuki gsxr 600 srad sound fun bike
bmw r100gs i sold as it be came to unreliable.
road legal stomp pitbike sold
Klr 650 the worst ever made
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer
 
imprezagm4's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Bend, OR
Oddometer: 186
I vote xt225, awesome first bike.
__________________
“Merely having an open mind is nothing; the object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid.” –G.K. Chesterton

Isaiah 40:28
imprezagm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015