User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #166
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
quick question

when u accelerate then let off the throttle is there any engine braking at all or does it just coast?
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #167
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
when u accelerate then let off the throttle is there any engine braking at all or does it just coast?
> 2012 Zeros use a 3 phase AC motor that have a controller that does Regenerative braking. So when you roll off the throttle the controller turns the forward motion of the bike into electricity going back into the battery bank. This feels very similar to traditional engine braking but is smoother.

The regenerative braking is greater in Eco mode and less in Sport mode. In Eco mode the regenerative braking force is enough that you need very little braking force added to stop the bike at a stop light.
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #168
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,800
Just spotted this article about the military "stealth" bike from Zero:

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2255103...lth-motorcycle

The part that really caught my eye:
"A pair of modular batteries provides more than two-hours of riding per charge and can be swapped out for fresh packs in a matter of moments."

Being able to carry a spare battery would be like carrying a spare jug of gas - something many do when off exploring.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #169
mjs91882
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Nice Bike, I really like it. I want one. But 15 grand is a lot right now for something like that, but if I had that kind of money seeing im in college I would love one to have to commute to school
mjs91882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #170
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
Just spotted this article about the military "stealth" bike from Zero:

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2255103...lth-motorcycle

The part that really caught my eye:
"A pair of modular batteries provides more than two-hours of riding per charge and can be swapped out for fresh packs in a matter of moments."

Being able to carry a spare battery would be like carrying a spare jug of gas - something many do when off exploring.
The battery packs are heavy, like 20-30 pounds heavy... not like packing 8 pounds of gas... But staging them or having a couple extra would work once you get past the 2 to 3 thousand dollar price tag each... It's getting closer.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #171
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
...Being able to carry a spare battery would be like carrying a spare jug of gas - something many do when off exploring...
A fully charged battery weighs as much as a depleted battery; unlike an empty gas can. So why would you carry a battery as a spare instead of just having a bigger battery?
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #172
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
A fully charged battery weighs as much as a depleted battery; unlike an empty gas can. So why would you carry a battery as a spare instead of just having a bigger battery?
Granted, a bigger "fuel tank" is better - but where to stuff it into the chassis? The spare doesn't have to be a full pack - it does have to have the right voltage, but a smaller/lighter/less AH spare pack would still be a desirable thing? Also, the modular fashion of the milspec pack - vs the fully built into the bike commercial version. Being able to stop home, swap out a pack and take off again seems desirable - but yes, a full replacement pack is chunk'o'change.

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #173
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,770
im glad you are doing this long term test.
it needed to be done.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #174
protomech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
The commercial MX, FX, XU bikes use the same modular battery system.
protomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #175
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Wind - thank you for this review. :)

OK, so you get a more offroad oriented dual sport with the FX, but the DS gives much more usable range it appears...

Logical combo would be the DS "train" in the FX chassis... *sigh*
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #176
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Electric is all well and good except for the fact, yes fact, that most riders enjoy having a real engine purring and grunting and making all of those thousands of explosions per minute while they ride. I don't know any rider at all that wants to ride a prius around in the woods or on the road.

Sorry for the buzzkill but this is a viewpoint that the majority of riders have and the primary one, not the technological one, that EV riders and makers will need to address before they get any sort of foothold in the market.

Riding a motorcycle for many people is about image and the thrill of having power under their control - a silent electric bike that can barely do a power wheelie (only some of the models) is a major turnoff. No sex appeal. No power. No distance, no freedom. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #177
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Electric is all well and good except for the fact, yes fact, that most riders enjoy having a real engine purring and grunting and making all of those thousands of explosions per minute while they ride. I don't know any rider at all that wants to ride a prius around in the woods or on the road.

Sorry for the buzzkill but this is a viewpoint that the majority of riders have and the primary one, not the technological one, that EV riders and makers will need to address before they get any sort of foothold in the market.

Riding a motorcycle for many people is about image and the thrill of having power under their control - a silent electric bike that can barely do a power wheelie (only some of the models) is a major turnoff. No sex appeal. No power. No distance, no freedom. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I'm sure that's exactly what the billions of people in Asia think.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #178
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post

Wind rider, this is a great thread, keep it coming.
While the attitude expressed above is common, it's pretty selfish and shortsighted. If we stopped "enjoying" ourselves with loud mufflers, we would stop pissing off non-bike riders and might find less tracks getting closed off.
The ONLY issue for me ATM is range and purchase price, which no doubt will improve over time
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #179
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Wind rider, this is a great thread, keep it coming.
While the attitude expressed above is common, it's pretty selfish and shortsighted. If we stopped "enjoying" ourselves with loud mufflers, we would stop pissing off non-bike riders and might find less tracks getting closed off.
The ONLY issue for me ATM is range and purchase price, which no doubt will improve over time
That was my point. I would personally ride an electric moto but I wouldn't have it as my only bike - I love long multi-day rides and an EV would complicate that due to aforementioned logistics of power and recharge times.

Regardless, the negative viewpoint is one that will always pop up in the EV vs Gasoline discussion. Ignoring it as selfish or short sighted is silly - people get off on having a real engine and they love being able to control the torque and do power wheelies with the clutch... those are common enjoyments of motorcycles. Saying otherwise is to ignore the interests of the majority of moto riders and that's pretty selfish in itself.

You can't please everyone - but you can at least prepare to have a decent argument or have logical discussions about the +/- of EV. It's a trade off that some people are willing to make - just like driving a prius vs a mustang.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #180
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I'm sure that's exactly what the billions of people in Asia think.
I must have missed all of those billions of EV motos in Asia?

Also there's a significant difference between people that buy small scooters for commuting in Beijing vs people that buy a motorcycle for pleasure riding or as a sport. Completely different purpose and needs, so much so that it's not even worth comparing - it's the equivalent of the needs of a Smart Car owner in NYC vs a drag strip racer in Ohio. Sure, scooters and dirtbikes have two wheels and you sit on them but the comparison ends there.