Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #271
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Well, it is electric, so maybe looking for sparks will still be part of the equation.
Ha. Yes. Avoid the 10KWatt spark though.
Wind_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 AM   #272
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 430
So the dealer did not check it was charging even in fact you said you needed a charge and the problem in the first place was the charger ????

do they service BMW's also .....
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #273
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Rider View Post
I will troubleshoot the main connection tomorrow.
Good thing you know what you are doing. Your dealer tech totally let you down.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #274
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Fix is in

After work this evening I spent a few hours to finalize the fix.

When I moved the cable back from the Auxiliary charge port to the main input of the battery pack I was able to reproduce the problem exactly: the connector is large and has a couple of locking tabs that the connector has to go over and then lock into to. It takes a fair amount of force and it is quite a dexterity test to reach the connector and force it over the locking tabs. When I first connected it I got the same problem as when I picked it up from the dealer. After pushing harder on the connector and wiggling it into position it slid further into the batt pack and I heard a click as it locked into position. Viola, charging happens again. All LED indications on the charger and BMS are normal again.

Here is a pic of the Charger Cable connected to the Aux charging port:

Here are the LEDs on the DeltaQ Charger:

And here are the 4 LEDs visible through the front viewing window on the BMS computer that helped me diagnose the problem:

I am not upset at BigTwin for failure to diagnose the problem after the charger replacement. Yes, I wish that it would have worked and I had not spent my time to diagnose and fix the problem, but I can completely see how it happened as when I first connected the cable to the main battery pack I did the exact same thing as the tech. I understand that they were rushed for time and they responded to the failure as rapidly as possible both when I dropped it on them at the end of the day and they put the Zero to the front of the line when the charger came in to get it out the door for me as soon as possible. They know that I am a daily rider and the Zero is my only bike so they were pushing hard to get it done for me ASAP. They were also really generous and lent me their new Husky Terra as a loaner to get me home in a pinch so that helps to buy some grace from my side of the fence.

I also understand that Zeros are a really low volume bike and I expected some pain for being an early adopter so I was expecting a lump or two along the way. I have learned quite a bit more about the charger and BMS than I knew a few days ago and the bike has a new charger that cost me $0.

All in all, I am just happy to have the bike repaired a week from the failure date.

Tomorrow I get to ride to work instead of drive to work!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #275
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post

do they service BMW's also .....
Yes, and If I had a beemer I would not hesitate to take it there for service. They have probably done most service tasks on a BMW hundreds of times. A charger replacement on a Zero is very rare so this is probably the only time that they had to do that task and they missed a detail and rushed through final testing... the Charger LEDs were on so it looked at first glance like the Charger was powered up and working which it was, it was just not putting it's charge to the final destination. The original charger had no LEDs lit so it looked like it was fixed unless you knew to look at the BMS LEDs or you checked the charge level after an hour or two of time.

There are a lot of experienced BMW techs. There are very few experienced Zero techs and even the most experienced Zero techs have very little experience as the bikes are rare, new, and the technology is different and requires some different skills.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #276
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Yes, and If I had a beemer I would not hesitate to take it there for service. They have probably done most service tasks on a BMW hundreds of times. A charger replacement on a Zero is very rare so this is probably the only time that they had to do that task and they missed a detail and rushed through final testing... the Charger LEDs were on so it looked at first glance like the Charger was powered up and working which it was, it was just not putting it's charge to the final destination. The original charger had no LEDs lit so it looked like it was fixed unless you knew to look at the BMS LEDs or you checked the charge level after an hour or two of time.

There are a lot of experienced BMW techs. There are very few experienced Zero techs and even the most experienced Zero techs have very little experience as the bikes are rare, new, and the technology is different and requires some different skills.
Sorry
I guess it's ok to you, but still ... had it been for a reoutine maintance i'd admit it can happen, or while working on someting else, but the tecnition should know more than the owner and the diagnostic should exist and be
done.
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #277
protomech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Yes. It's understandable how they messed up, but they still sent you home without verifying that the charging system worked properly. I would definitely provide feedback to them.

Still, glad you're back on the road on two wheels!
protomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #278
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
and viola: BMS indicates charging, Charger indicates normal and current flow at max. Charging is now happening.
Great story, so....was the original charger bad, or was this connection snafu the root of all problems?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #279
G$
Lack of Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Hey G$,

Thanks for the comments and please post the size of front TKC80 that you used and a pic of it on the bike. I will need to replace the front tire pretty soon and was going go with another TrailWing so I would like to see what other options might fit.
I finally got my tires mounted today so I will post with some pictures and comments for anyone contemplating using a similar setup. The good news is that the tire fits with plenty of room. This is at the dealer.

It definitely gives the bike a more aggressive look.

Upon riding the bike, I noticed some things right away. I could feel the pulsing of the front knobby at low speed. It was a little bit more than I expected but I suspect that the lack of noise and engine vibration exaggerated the effect. 2nd, I can feel a resonant frequency hum at about 25 mph on the asphalt. I wasn't overly happy with this but can find a way to live with it. Getting up to highway speed the effects go away for the most part but I can feel a bit of a hum that I didn't feel with the old tire. Again, all very minimal but for the folks that are sensitive to these things, they could be a problem.

I ride through a canyon on my way home, and I am happy to report that the cornering is very good, especially for a tread like this. Typical to what I'm used to on my KTM 950 ADV with the same Continental TKC 80.

And now for the good news, the dirt road riding was awesome! No more sketchy cornering at higher speeds. I definitely felt confident and because this is my primary objective for the front tire, I am very happy. This coupled with the TW40 on the rear made for a great ride on the last few dirt miles to my house. I was running out of juice by the time I got home (bike shop didn't plug it in) so I can't add any more right now except that this critique was done with way too much pressure up front and in the rear. I adjusted the pressure in the front to 18 psi and 23ish in the rear. It's on the charge now and I may go test it some more once I get some electrons back. I'll post if there are any significant changes.

Wind Rider: The black ones are definitely faster !!

edit: Went for an evening blast. Bumped the front pressure up to 21ish. Resonance gone that existed at 35psi !! Seems to help plush out the suspension.

G$ screwed with this post 08-08-2013 at 07:53 PM
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #280
McSchlinky
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great thread Wind Rider, just spent the best part of the morning looking through it! Like the earlier poster I am in Melbourne and have been wondering for some time how the Zero's perform in the real world. keep it up, I'll keep reading
McSchlinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #281
McSchlinky
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just checked their Aus website..."currently not for purchase in Australia", guess we'll have to wait to stop paying for petrol...
McSchlinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #282
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Great story, so....was the original charger bad, or was this connection snafu the root of all problems?
The original factory Charger failed. No LEDs were coming on on it's display.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #283
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
I finally got my tires mounted today so I will post with some pictures and comments for anyone contemplating using a similar setup. The good news is that the tire fits with plenty of room.
Hey G$, thanks for posting up the pics and ride impressions, especially with the tire pressures. That front tire makes the bike look a lot more aggressive as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Wind Rider: The black ones are definitely faster !!
Funny, I used to hear the same thing about Buells....

I do like the Black ones but I ride dirt every day and the white just shows less of it. I also like the Black/White contrast for safety as the bike moves through traffic... I think that the white pieces add some contrast and make the bike more visible. But it could very well be true that Black ones are faster as I have heard this many times
Old 08-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #284
Wind_Rider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchlinky View Post
Great thread Wind Rider, just spent the best part of the morning looking through it! Like the earlier poster I am in Melbourne and have been wondering for some time how the Zero's perform in the real world. keep it up, I'll keep reading
Glad that you enjoy the thread. As long as I keep owning the Zero and it keeps rolling I will keep updating the thread so that others can learn about the ups and downs, the charges and discharges, of EBike ownership.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #285
G$
Lack of Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Hey G$, thanks for posting up the pics and ride impressions, especially with the tire pressures. That front tire makes the bike look a lot more aggressive as well!

Funny, I used to hear the same thing about Buells....

I do like the Black ones but I ride dirt every day and the white just shows less of it. I also like the Black/White contrast for safety as the bike moves through traffic... I think that the white pieces add some contrast and make the bike more visible. But it could very well be true that Black ones are faster as I have heard this many times
It's an old KTM joke with the 950 adventure crowd, the orange ones are definitely faster. Too bad I have a silver one!

Our bikes are awesome regardless of color

G$ is offline   Reply With Quote