Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
KLR_Stretch OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Snapped my KLR Chain Adjuster... Better Replacement?

Hey y'all, this is my first thread here...

Anyway, I recently picked up a nice 2006 KLR650 with 12,000 miles on it for $1,750 off of craigslist... I really like the bike, has aftermarket exhaust, its been rejetted, it fits my 6 foot 4 self very well, etc...

Bad news is, part of the reason it was so cheap, was because the tires were shot...

So I got a mechanically inclined buddy of mine to give me a lesson in tire-changing, and a little while later we had a new set of Shinko 705's mounted up, with new brake pads too...

It was late, dark and cold so I didnt test ride that night...

But today, I got to take it around the block (5.4 miles) a couple times, and aside from a slight viabration coming from the swingarm, all was well... A quick look revealed that the rear axle was SLIGHTLY out of alighnment... But thats nothing a quick wrenching couldnt fix...

"Loosen up the axle... Ain'nobody got time for that"...

In hindsite it was stupid, but I really thought I could budge it just a little,just by turning the nut...

Nope, snapped the stud like nothing... Oh well, thats what I get for being stupid

Anyway, I took a look at that inner chain adjuster, and man does it look cheap... I searched the internet and found a few replacements for various Kawasaki dirt bikes but nothing for the KLR...

Just wondering if anyone knows of any...

Oh well, I sure do hope the rest of that stud is easily removable/replaceable...

That poor bike never saw me comin
KLR_Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,593
I know it's a KLR and whatnot, but why wouldn't you just buy an OEM replacement unit? It's under $20. No hassles, just bolt and go.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
A swingarm off the newer models will work and is supposedly lighter (made from Al), they use a different adjustment system. As to whether or not it is better, well that will probably start a nice debate. Thought about switching to one on my 04, but think I am going to stick with the stocker.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote