Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
El Dudeness OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Eh? KTM 690 Enduro R starting problems

Hi guys!

So my 690 from '08 has always been acting up when starting during the time I've owned it and that would be the last year and a half.

It always starts but it takes about three times pushing the ignition button but now it sometimes needs 8-9 attempts before it gets going and I'm getting concerned.

I've tried the following to get to the bottom of things without much luck:

1) Replaced spark plug
2) Filled it with fuel
3) Replaced spark plug cap
4) Checked and adjusted valves
5) Checked and changed battery
6) Checked the spark coming from the ignition coil which is strong but not coming fast enough?
7) Checked fuel pressure between fuel pump and injector.
8) Changed the two seals on injector
9) Changed fuel filter in gas tank

Bonus info:

It's fitted with a Leo Vince exhaust
My next plan of action is to order a new fuel injector.

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing??!!

I'm getting slightly mad and I'm on a time issue here as I need to deliver the bike before Christmas so it can be shipped to the start of the Intercontinental Rally....
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
There is a micro-sized filter on the fuel injector itself - have a quick check and clean it. Also, I see that you've changed out the battery - these bikes are highly sensitive to voltage / current and I am a big believer that at least 50% of motorcycle related issues are the battery but in this case, obviously not. Goin back to what I said about voltage sensitivity, the fuel pump in these bikes is total pile of garbage when it comes to reliability - the typical problem with it though is that they usually fail when the fuel pump itself overheats internally (flawed design or build - I experienced this right after weeks and weeks of pulling my hair out chasing other issues - search for my user name from a few years ago and you will find some of my threads...). Anyhow, if this problem is starting up the bike rather tha nstalling or restarting, I would tend to think that it may not actually be the fuel pump but...the fuel pump may not be getting sufficient power even at start-up. If you can, chase all the major ground wires to their connection points - where they connect into harnesses, open the plugs and clean them out. Where ground wires terminate onto chassis / bolt points, remove those connections and check for rust underneath the contact point - scrub and clean as required. For all we know, the pump (or other vital start-up circuit) could be suffering from a poor ground connection. In fact, while you're at it, check all the major positive wiring and connection points and ehck your fusebox - there could actually be some corrosion there as well. Before I finally correctly diagnosed and correcte dmy fuel pump related issues, I also changed the battery and while doing so, I found a few corroded ground and positive contact points. It can't hurt to try some of that (and cleaning that injector micro-filter) before throwing money into the wind by buying parts. Let us know how you make out with these initial steps.

Hope this helps...
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
El Dudeness OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thanks for the full hearted tips - definately good tips.

I can inform you, that I already have checked the micro filter in the fuel injector and it was fine.

I will for sure go in depth with you advice and get back to you with the result.

I have also noted that I need to check the throttle positioning sensor