User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
Trygstad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Day 6 Waterton AB to Toad Rock campground

Leaving Waterton was pretty wet. Luckily the rain let up for just enough time for Cris and I to shake the water off our tents and get them packed up.

We stopped in a little coffee shop in Waterton to grab some breakfast before we got on the road. We met a girl at the shop who was heading to meet up with some friends and canoe the Mississippi from the from Minnesota to New Orleans....and we thought we were on an adventure..

We hopped on the bikes when the rain let up....but it did not let up for long. We stopped after about 10 miles for Cris to put on his rain gear. My TPG coat and pants from firstgear are great. I have been in some pretty heavy rains and have never gotten wet.

Our fist stop of the day was kind of by chance. Driving along the 3 in Alberta we saw a hill side that looked like it had slid down across the valley.

This was the Frank Slide

The slide occurred April 29th 1903. About 90 million tons of rock slid off the side of Turtle Mountain. Between 70 and 90 people were killed by the slide. The rocks that blocked the river in the valley had to be blasted so that the town of Bellevue did not flood. If you are ever in the area, I would suggest that you stop at the info center it was really interesting.

We missed our photo op crossing in to B.C. "The best place on Earth". They do not lie, I though B.C. was stunning.

Our first stop in BC was in the town of Sparwood. Of course we had to get a picture of the biggest dump truck ever built.

Im 6'2.....that should give you a good scale of the size of the truck...Im in the wheel well

[IMG] photo P1010146.jpg[/IMG]

Here are the numbers on the Truck..

[IMG] photo P1010148.jpg[/IMG]

There was a info center in Sparwood and the lady working there was more than helpful. She pointed us towards Kootney Lake.

From Sparwood we continued on the 3 though Fernie and Cranbrook and on in to Creston.

In Creston we met a couple riding two up on a KLR. They asked us what our planes were for the night....Hadnt really made any lol. They said follow us! Sweet.

We headed up the the side of Kootney Lake (Beautiful) and stopped at this roadside diner for dinner, I wish I could remember the name of it. the food was great.

[IMG] photo P1010149.jpg[/IMG]

After dinner we headed north to the Kootney Bay to Balfor Ferry following the couple on the KLR. They pulled over after about 10 miles and said from here to the ferry the road is really nice. I took off with him at a pace a little quicker than Cris could muscle with the Ural. It was nice to really dig into some corners. The couple and I made it to the ferry and Ill be damned, Cris showed up no more than a minute or two later. He must have been going pretty quick on the Ural.

One thing that is awesome about the all the inland ferries in BC...they are free. Cris was really liking that :)

Here is us waiting in line for the Osprey 2000

[IMG] photo IMG_1424.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo IMG_1425.jpg[/IMG]

And on the boat

[IMG] photo IMG_1426.jpg[/IMG]

From the boat the KLR couple lead us to a motorcycle only campground called "Toad Rock". Two things here...I had never heard of a motorcycle only campground and oh my god what a place.

This place had everything for the traveler...hot showers, a outside kitchen and really nice campsites. Even cool campsites if you did not bring a tent...

VW campsite..

[IMG] photo P1010161.jpg[/IMG]

Outside kitchen..

[IMG] photo P1010160.jpg[/IMG]

Campsite..

[IMG] photo P1010157.jpg[/IMG]

What a nice day, I was so happy to be in BC, we were 1 day away from the Nakusp rally and Cris and I were looking forward to tomorrow. Took some hot showers and hopped in to bed.

Odometer: 290 Miles.....Trip: 2035 Miles

Route

[IMG] photo day6.jpg[/IMG]
Trygstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Trygstad OP
Adventurer

Day 7 Toad Rock to Nakusp BC

Our time at Toad Rock was great, even if it was only for the night. I would recommend stopping by if you are in the neighborhood.

We got up early and headed north on the 31 towards Kaslo. It was a great road that ran next to Kootenay Lake. Just before we pulled in to Kaslo we had our second close call of the trip when a good sized Black Bear ran out in front of us on the road. The brakes did not have to be locked up but it was a bit scary to see that big of an animal on the road.

Once we made it to Kaslo we stopped at this really nice Bistro...

[IMG] photo P1010167-1.jpg[/IMG]

View from the deck

[IMG] photo P1010166.jpg[/IMG]

The owner of the Bistro could not believe that Cris had ridden the Ural from Los Angles to Kaslo hahaha.

[IMG] photo P1010186.jpg[/IMG]

After Breakfast we took a tour of the Moyie, an old paddle wheel ferry that use to operate on Kootenay Lake.

[IMG] photo P1010164.jpg[/IMG]

Representing the D in the "Ladies section of the boat"

[IMG] photo P1010181.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo IMG_1449.jpg[/IMG]

The Mens Lounge or cigar room

[IMG] photo IMG_1439.jpg[/IMG]

View from the Moyie

[IMG] photo IMG_1436.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG] photo IMG_1431.jpg[/IMG]

From Kaslo we headed West on the 31A towards the little town of New Denver.

The 31A was beautiful, we stopped a few times for pictures along the way :)

[IMG] photo IMG_1455.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo IMG_1454-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo IMG_1452-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010192.jpg[/IMG]

We stopped on New Denver just long enough to get gas and then it was on to Nakusp. Cris and I were both ready to get there and set up camp for a few days. We got in to town and checked in at the B.C. Beemer Rally. It was thursday. That was going to give us 3 nights without having to move the tents... That was a good thing :)

[IMG] photo P1010218.jpg[/IMG]

Nakusp looked great we were both ready to take it easy, I dropped the cases off the bike as soon as possible and we took a quick ride around town.

[IMG] photo P1010198.jpg[/IMG]

View from town

photo P1010196.jpg

Odometer: Day: 76 Miles ......Trip: 2111 Miles

Route

[IMG] photo Day75.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
chalayko
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Nice timing - thanks! We're planning on riding many of the roads you did in B.C. as well down Highway 101 to the Eureka area to hug some redwoods this summer. We made as far as Florence a couple of years ago and ran out of time to go further south. Great write up and pictures, keep them coming please!! Cliff.
chalayko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
cluedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Great ride report.
If you guys go through Port Townsend on your way home stop by my place.
Beer is on me.

Gary
cluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
That far into the trip the air filter on the Ural is probably clogged up from the oil being blown into the airbox by the breather hose. That's why I always carry a spare all ready to go. Great report and pictures.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #21
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluedog View Post
Great ride report.
Beer is on me.

Gary
Gary,
These guys did this last year

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Trygstad OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluedog View Post
Great ride report.
Beer is on me.

Gary
Like Ged said, we did this trip last august, but I will be heading up that way again in August on my way to Alaska I will look you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONKR View Post
That far into the trip the air filter on the Ural is probably clogged up from the oil being blown into the airbox by the breather hose. That's why I always carry a spare all ready to go. Great report and pictures.
The air-cleaner actually looked pretty good, not too much oil in the airbox. Cris also carries a spare so we went ahead and changed it anyway. The previous owner had changed out quite a few things on the bike before Cris had purchased it. Different main jets, needles and a BMW 1200 GS exhaust can lol. Once we switched back to the stock needles and mains the bike ran quite a lot better.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
Trygstad OP
Adventurer

Day 8 Nakusp

This was Cris and I's first day of rest on the whole trip. It was nice to get a break and check out the other bikes who made the trip to Nakusp.

[IMG] photo P1010220.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010202.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010217.jpg[/IMG]

There were two WWII era sidecar bikes that were really cool. One was a BMW and the other was a Zundapp. Both were 2wd with limited slip diffs in the rear with lockers.

[IMG] photo P1010208.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010205.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010203.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010209.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010210.jpg[/IMG]

There were actually quite a few sidecar bikes at the rally (none that came as far as cris had lol). Cris and I were quite surprised with how many there were. The rally had a really cool ride for the elderly, where the guys with sidecars gave rides to people in the local nursing home.

[IMG] photo IMG_1491.jpg[/IMG]

This lady did not want to get out of the side car :) and she even had Cris stop in town so she could boast to her friends lol.

[IMG] photo IMG_1469.jpg[/IMG]

There were other sidecars that gave rides, but most of the people wanted to ride in the Ural :)

[IMG] photo IMG_1463.jpg[/IMG]

After the elderly ride Cris and I took a walk around the town. I was really impressed with Nakusp, everyone was really nice and the town was really quaint.

We saw this guy who tows his sleeping quarters lol. Actually we had seen him the year before at the John Day Rally.

[IMG] photo P1010221.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG] photo P1010222.jpg[/IMG]

All in all it was a great day. But with little to no time on the bike for the day Cris and I were itching to get back in the saddle lol.....so we signed up for the GS ride for the next day.

Odometer: Day: 0.....Trip: 2111 Miles

No Route :)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #24
testrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Nice report! Why all the pictures have broken links? I couldn't see any?

Sent from my SGH-T989
testrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
cluedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Sorry guys
I wasn't paying attention - what a maroon

Still it is a great ride report
and the beer is on me if you are out my way.
cluedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
Trygstad OP
Adventurer

Day 9 Nakusp to Nakusp "GS Ride"

After one day off, Cris and I were itchen to get back in the saddle. We had signed up the night before for the GS ride. Cris was really looking forward to trying out the Ural in the dirt and I was just happy to do some driving without a 100lbs of gear on it :)

The GS ride consisted of some dirt logging roads, not really what we had expected but the scenery was defiantly worth it! We headed north on the 23 out of Nakusp and then south on the 31 to Kaslo and back to Nakusp on the 6 (I loved that road!)

Beautiful Trout Lake
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Veiw from above Trout Lake
[IMG][/IMG]

Random waterfall along the trail
[IMG][/IMG]

By this point in the day Cris was really liking the Ural, sliding the rear sideways in the corners and flying down the logging roads. Probably the first time on the trip I had a hard time keeping up with him lol.

View from the south end of Trout lake
[IMG][/IMG]

Bridge crossing
[IMG][/IMG]

After crossing the inlet to Trout Lake the 31 followed a river that was stunning...

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

We headed south and ate lunch at a nice little diner in Meadow Creek. After lunch we continued to head south to Kaslo and then back west to Nakusp on the 6. We made it back to camp in plenty of time for dinner and a shower. We both knew that we had a long day ahead of us tomorrow (on the road again!)

Odometer: Day: 172......Trip: 2283 miles

Route
[IMG][/IMG]

Trygstad screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 10:52 PM
Old 05-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #27
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,853
Thanks for sharing your trip details and great photo's. I will use your maps and photos for helping to plan my forthcoming trip to USA and Canada, shipping my F800GS over from Oz and arriving Portland July 8th.
Attending several rallies in Oregon/BC area,especially around the Nelson area.
That area looks awesome for motorcycling.

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #28
Trygstad OP
Adventurer

Day 10 Nakusp BC to Port Townsend WA

Well after a great time at the Bee Cee Beemers Rally in Nakusp it was time for Cris and I to start making tracks south. Although we both agreed that we would rather head north lol. We will have to save that for another trip!

We woke early, knowing that we were going to have a long day ahead of us. We did not really know where we were heading for the day but we did have plans to see some of Cris' relatives in Port Townsend on the way home. This was in the back of my head and seemed like a good place to stop for the night.

The morning started out a little nervous for us, all of the gas stations in Nakusp were closed until 9am doesnt do us much good when we hit the road at 6. So we took off hoping we could find gas along the way.

We headed south on the 6 out of Nakusp to catch the ferry crossing at Fauquier. On the way to the ferry we saw a moose out for a morning swim.

[IMG][/IMG]

We made it to the ferry but still no gas stations were open....

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The water was like glass such a nice ferry ride across Lower Arrow Lake.

[IMG][/IMG]

About a 1/2 hour past the ferry we found the Gold Pan Cafe and had some breakfast, we were met there by a bunch of the other riders from the rally.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The 6 was a great road all the way to Lumby. Pretty diverse road too, some canyon curves and flat farmland. We still had not found gas yet, Cris had went though his 2.5 gallon red can, his 2.5 gallon jerry can and most of the gas in his tank. Big mistake not getting gas the night before in Nakusp. Once we got to Lumby Cris was searching hard for a gas station, so hard in fact he drove right through a 4 way stop! What the heck dude! Better a 4 way than a light though lol. We found gas and all was right in the world.

From Lumby we continued on the 6 towards Vernon. From Vernon we headed south on the 97 towards Kelowna. The Lakes on these paths were really cool and the land had went from lush and green to more of an arid climate. Interesting to see such a change in climate in a small distance.

We picked up the 97C from the 97. The 97C heading west starts off with a long long long climb up in to the hills. I took the lead in the 800 on the way up the hill. I was surprised to see Cris in my mirrors the whole time.....The little Ural that could lol.

Continuing on the 97C we reached Merritt, once there we caught the 5 and headed south towards the town of Hope. The 5 had some stunning views of the mountain sides but man was it windy coming back down the hills. Cris an I were getting blown all over the road yikes. We stopped in Hope for some more gas and a quick break. I did not realize at the time but Hope is were the first Rambo movie was filmed, pretty cool.

From Hope we picked up the 1 and headed towards Abbotsford, once there we headed south to the boarder crossing. We rode some back country roads out towards Bellingham where we picked up the I-5 and took that to Burlington. Back off the freeway again! woo hoo!

Hopping on the 20 we headed out to Whidbey Island. Crossing over Deceptions pass we stopped and grabbed a few pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The 20 on Whidbey Island is a great little road lots of nice curves and wonderful scenery. We decided if we could make it to the Port Townsend ferry we would stay at his relatives house tonight. A bed sounded great after a long day of riding! We made it to the ferry with time to spare so we headed back in to Coupeville for some dinner. Found a great place right on Puget Sound for a great seafood dinner.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the Ferry.....

[IMG][/IMG]

So....Funny story about the ferry ride to Port Townsend.....It was a cold night. They let the bikes leave the ferry deck first and Cris was having a hard time getting the Ural to warm up on short notice, so before the bike was warm and with the workers on the ferry telling him to get going before they let the cars go, cris revs up the motor to keep it running and pops the clutch.... I know now..... and cris knows now..... that Urals can pop a wheelie! Only problem with popping a wheelie on a bike with a side car is the "slight" right trajectory the bike tends to take lol. Luckily Cris was on the far left hand side of the boat so he had some room to work with. Phew another close call lol. We laughed about this one for quite a while.

We pulled in to the realities house after 10 pm, over 14 hours on the bike. A bed had never felt so good!

Odometer: Day: 447.......Trip: 2730 Miles

Route

[IMG][/IMG]

Trygstad screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 09:48 PM
Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
GAGirlMissingMyRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Really enjoying this report....great pictures too
GAGirlMissingMyRide is offline   Reply With Quote