ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Twinner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 108
Curious about the Super Tenere

Hello fellow riders,
I am seriously considering the R1200GS as my next ride but I am really curious about the Super Tenere. I will be riding it on the asphalt roads (including very bad ones) 99% of the time.
I have bought a Triumph Tiger in 2010 and sold it the next season because I could not trust it in corners. It was just not confidence inspiring to me and corners is where I usually find the greatest satisfaction when riding.
I would like to hear about Super Tenere owners regarding:
- Handling;
- Power;
- Protection;
- Comfort (for pilot and pillion);
- Pros and cons.
It is very difficult to get to test a bike out here, unfortunately, and I would like to avoid making a costly mistake again.
Thanking you in advance for your educated advice!
:-)
Twinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less
 
Anticyclone's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Columbus, MS
Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
Hello fellow riders,
I am seriously considering the R1200GS as my next ride but I am really curious about the Super Tenere. I will be riding it on the asphalt roads (including very bad ones) 99% of the time.
I have bought a Triumph Tiger in 2010 and sold it the next season because I could not trust it in corners. It was just not confidence inspiring to me and corners is where I usually find the greatest satisfaction when riding.
I would like to hear about Super Tenere owners regarding:
I'm sure Dalara will be along shortly and tell you to do a search

I hear ya on the Tiger. I had a 1050 Tiger before the Tenere and sold it because I felt like I was always fighting it in corners especially when loaded down for camping, plus the wind management was atrocious. I've spent a little time on a 1200GS, probably less than 200 miles total though. I'm sure somebody will be along shortly who has owned both.

Quote:
- Handling;
Probably about a wash. The Tenere is probably a little slower steering.

Quote:
- Power;
No contest, the GS is faster, the waterboxer likely even more so. The Tenere feels faster (torquier) though.

Quote:
- Protection;
Both will need an aftermarket screen for ultimate serenity.

Quote:
- Comfort (for pilot and pillion);
The stock seat on the Tenere is fine for me with a sheepskin pad for 500 mile days. I've never spent long enough on the GS to tell you. No pillion experience on either.

Quote:
- Pros and cons.
Tenere, 28k mile valve check interval, GS 6k mile interval. Around here there is a Yamaha dealer in every small town, not that you need it. The closest BMW dealer is 3 hours away, and you will need it

Quote:
It is very difficult to get to test a bike out here, unfortunately, and I would like to avoid making a costly mistake again.
Thanking you in advance for your educated advice!
:-)
__________________
Later,
Michael
"If I can't pass at a reasonable speed I do it unreasonably." - jdmetzger
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative
 
llamapacker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Doyline, Louisiana
Oddometer: 1,102
I like corners also, and enjoy the Tenere in the corners.

Been to Alaska on mine, couldn't have picked a better bike for the trip.

Been places offroad 2up that lots of people wouldn't go on a dirt bike.

The immediate torque at low rpms makes it an easy bike to handle just about anywhere.

Don't know anything about the GS, but have lots of friends that ride them.
__________________
14 KTM 1190 Adventure
14 500xc-w
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
scott123007
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: jupiter, fl
Oddometer: 27
The GS is a slightly better road bike than the Tenere, but there are MANY bikes (smoother, more powerful, better wind protection) that are better than either the Tenere or the GS if ALL you are going to do is road. Hell, I'd even say if you had to be on smooth dirt or gravel 2 percent of the time, I'd still take a proper street bike. Then again, it's as much about your skill set and what you want to use it for, as anything. From a dependbility and value standpoint, the riders with the most experience, that are not hung up on status, will buy Japanese.
scott123007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
StorckWhip
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Oddometer: 53
I sold a CBR600RR to buy my Tenere. I put a bit over 20K on the CBR in two years and really felt that it was the best handling bike I've ridden. Truly a scalpel. The Tenere is no scalpel. Not even close. But it handles remarkably well. I've been really impressed with the handling, even with the Tourance EXP tires that came with it. The back is a bit flat/squared off after 7K, but the bike is still fun in the corners. My only gripe, and it's a big one, is that the cornering clearance kind of sucks.

Comfort is great for me. My wife loves it too. She did a 400+ mile day in the mountains at less than 50degrees and didn't complain.

The ABS and traction control are both great. My favorite experience with the bike was running fire roads off the BRP and power sliding around corners in the dirt one minute, and then dragging the center stand on my favorite mountain road the next minute. The bike is totally happy in either environment.

The power is...OK. Actually, the power isn't bad, but I'm not a fan of the engine. Better as the bike breaks in, but it's sort of a tractor. I sync'd the throttle bodies and it helped. Sometimes it feels like it knocks at about 3500rpms in 4th/5th gear with a handful of throttle. Plenty of acceleration so it doesn't feel like it's lugging but it doesn't really like it. My SV650 probably spoiled me for flexible engines. The CBR was as smooth as silk too. I'll live with the S10.

Anyway, another pro for me is fuel mileage. I'm getting about 45-46 avg. No worse than 40mpg. And the heated grips. Amazing. And the shaft drive. I love not dealing with chains. And not having to inspect the valves for 26K. Overall you couldn't pry the bike out of my cold dead hands.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123007 View Post
The GS is a slightly better road bike than the Tenere, but there are MANY bikes (smoother, more powerful, better wind protection) that are better than either the Tenere or the GS if ALL you are going to do is road. Hell, I'd even say if you had to be on smooth dirt or gravel 2 percent of the time, I'd still take a proper street bike. Then again, it's as much about your skill set and what you want to use it for, as anything. From a dependbility and value standpoint, the riders with the most experience, that are not hung up on status, will buy Japanese.
I had two FJRs before my Tenere. Still have an FZ1. After not using the FJR once in 6 months
of Tenere ownership I sold it. I personally like the cornering of the Tenere better. I also liked the
plusher suspension. The upright seating position appeals to my aging bones more too. I know the
OP stated his intent is for 98% pavement, I think the Tenere will tempt him to change those numbers.

I agree the BMW has a perfomance advantage. You are really talking tenths of seconds. In the real world
the Tenere has more than enough to get out of it's own way. Couple of easy electrical mods help wake it up.

To me the biggest deciding factor was a total lack of reported break downs. It's become a quest to find
someone who has had a trip ending failure. Leaking fok seal, weaping hub seal, some sumps that
have taken a hit and cracked, dreaded loose nipple OMG! Just seems to be a lot of very happy owners
enjoying drama free rides.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 1,645

Most magazine review give th Tenere an edge over the GS on road and the edge to the GS off road, two good bikes in my opinion.

The Tenere isn't perfect but none are. Fuelling is an issue with a hesitation just off idle and power is restricted in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. Their are several method to cure these issues. I've added a Madstadt 20 inch windscreen and adjuster along with the OEM wind deflectors and find rider protection from the elements to be excellent. Most find the OEM seat to be, we'll, a pain. Sargent and other seat mfgs. offer good alternatives.

I also own a BMW R12R and like that motor better, but for going long distance and the option to explore off the Tarmac I ride the Tenere.

You can't go wrong with either th GS or the Tenere.....
But why an adventure style bike if you're not planning to ride off the pavement?
Do you plan on touring or just day rides and a weekend away now and then?
Is fuel mileage and range a concern for you?
How much of your riding will be two up?

Regards, Paul
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
Flydream
King of the Atlantic
 
Flydream's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Azores
Oddometer: 357
Thumb Super tenere

Cycle World vídeo, resume almost everything.
Touch on view media
http://touch.cycleworld.com/cyclewor...619f/2/media/2
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I had two FJRs before my Tenere. Still have an FZ1. After not using the FJR once in 6 months
of Tenere ownership I sold it. I personally like the cornering of the Tenere better. I also liked the
plusher suspension. The upright seating position appeals to my aging bones more too. I know the
OP stated his intent is for 98% pavement, I think the Tenere will tempt him to change those numbers.

I agree the BMW has a perfomance advantage. You are really talking tenths of seconds. In the real world
the Tenere has more than enough to get out of it's own way. Couple of easy electrical mods help wake it up.

To me the biggest deciding factor was a total lack of reported break downs. It's become a quest to find
someone who has had a trip ending failure. Leaking fok seal, weaping hub seal, some sumps that
have taken a hit and cracked, dreaded loose nipple OMG! Just seems to be a lot of very happy owners
enjoying drama free rides.
I'd agree with pluric. Imagine, if he likes the blew one that much how ecstatic he'd be with a black one.
Anyway, I had a new GS1200 & a new BMW RT ( I was kinda hard on both, just as I had been on all my previous jap bikes) . Had lots of trouble with both beemers which was a new experience for me as all my previous bikes were trouble free & of jap origin. The reliability of the Yamaha alone, as pluric says, is reason enough to buy it. My experience with BMWs amounted to a constant & disgruntled sense of "what's going to break next" in contrast to the almost total unawareness of the jap bikes as I rode them concentrating on corner blasting & scenery rather than wondering where the nearest tow truck was. A mighty big difference ,that.
The GS was ok when it wasn't busted. On dirt I liked it a bit better than the Yamaha but I'm hard put to say why. The weight of the Tenere has been a concern on dirt,but less so as I ride it more & find amazement in it's competence & seeming lightness ( hard to explain). I can't think of anything the GS really did better,lots it did worse. I often ride 2-up ,mostly on dirt & my wife likes the Tenere LOTS better than she did the GS.
While I'm more of a dirt guy nowadays, I always felt like the GS's frontend wanted to drift out when corner blasting on asphalt. Not the Tenere. Normal jap competence. I also find I'm not "gear hunting" nearly as much with the Yamaha which is really nice. Both have nice torgue.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,454
Don't buy it it can cause seriuos brain injuries

I was a normal person before I buy this beast!!

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: South of the big lake
Oddometer: 596
I have 2000 miles on a used 2012 I purchased a month ago. Was toen between the GS and the Tenere and decided with it. Sold a ZX-14 and KTM 990 adv. I really like the Tenere and it is a much better road bike than I expected. Corners better thsn my KTM or ZX-14 and is good off road. I just did 8 days on it in Western NC and had a blast on the fire roads. Ny has the clutch mod, Arrow header, two brothers slip on, and a PCV with a custom map by Wheelers Cycle in Robinsville NC. After the dyno session I find it is much smoother, pulls much harder and still get around 44 mpg. I do not like the fact that it always resets to TC1 every time it starts! Carries a load of 40 lbs of gear no issue and good wind management.
The BMW is a great bike but I could not live with the poor dealer network and the number of recalls and warranty issues the BMW's seem to experience.
Very haapy wit the bike overall.
__________________
Current Bikes: 2012 Yamaha Tenere, 2010 Vespa 300 Super scooter ( hers), 2011 Blur 220i (his)
Kenbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,454
I had a GSA before the ST. Both are great bikes but the Tenere is more reliable and fun.
I'm very happy with it
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Twinner OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Oddometer: 108
Wow! Thanks a lot guys for the feedback!
Well to answer the question about why an adventure bike and not a touring bike instead.
I had the opportunity to tour several times on a V-Strom and coming from a sportbike background, was really, really impressed with the bike's capabilities. You can litterally eat the tires to the very edge in corners, no issues whatsoever.
Plus, I really liked the upright, natural position. Also and importantly, an adventure type motorcycle eats up the bumps, cracks and holes in the roads we have like no touring bike can.
I cutrently ride a VFR1200. It is an amazing motorcycle, but after an hour in the saddle, I get so tensed between the shoulder blades (old injury) that it ends up in a headache. I want back to the straight up position that I liked on both the Tiger and V-Strom, but with a bit more power than the Strom and with a shaft drive.
How are the vibrations on the Tenere when cruising at 120-140 Km/h?
Where is this that the bike starts to loose it's composure/comfort zone both handling and engine wise?
Thanks guys, you are the best! :-)
(I was very sad that the Tiger didn't suit me. I thought it would be everything the V-Strom was and then some, but the handling killed it for me)
Twinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinner View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot guys for the feedback!
Well to answer the question about why an adventure bike and not a touring bike instead.
I had the opportunity to tour several times on a V-Strom and coming from a sportbike background, was really, really impressed with the bike's capabilities. You can litterally eat the tires to the very edge in corners, no issues whatsoever.
Plus, I really liked the upright, natural position. Also and importantly, an adventure type motorcycle eats up the bumps, cracks and holes in the roads we have like no touring bike can.
I cutrently ride a VFR1200. It is an amazing motorcycle, but after an hour in the saddle, I get so tensed between the shoulder blades (old injury) that it ends up in a headache. I want back to the straight up position that I liked on both the Tiger and V-Strom, but with a bit more power than the Strom and with a shaft drive.
How are the vibrations on the Tenere when cruising at 120-140 Km/h?
Where is this that the bike starts to loose it's composure/comfort zone both handling and engine wise?
Thanks guys, you are the best! :-)
(I was very sad that the Tiger didn't suit me. I thought it would be everything the V-Strom was and then some, but the handling killed it for me)
The Tenere stays pretty composed until you reach the 150+kph range. At that point it could use a re-valve in the shocks and fork to give it better high speed damping. I you do any sustained speeds in that range, there are mods availabe from various vendors including Ohlins, Wilburs, Penske, Superplush and there's another cartridge maker that is slipping my mind. I think there is also a Spanish company that builds suspension parts.
__________________
2011 Yamaha XT1200Z
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #15
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flightar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL.
Oddometer: 137
I don't own an S10 but I have ridden one. I really liked the comfort and the smoothness. The engine I also liked, but it runs out of revs quickly, and does not give you a strong top end rush. I get that sportbike type performance isn't what it was designed for though. The brakes worked great, and the wind protection was adequite...aftermarket fixes I'm sure would make it much better. My only gripe about the bike to be honest was that its kind of homely, and I'm a guy that likes the looks of the GS.

Here's my list of adventure bikes I've ridden and my very brief impression of each. Assuming, 99% on road use which fits me to a tee.

MTS 12: Wow what a bike!...actually bought it.
S10: Great all around bike, very comfortable and smooth, but let down by its quirky and ho-hum looks...

1K VStrom: Hated EVERYTHING about it after I rode it.

12GS A/C: Great bike...wouldn't buy it though now that the much improved and better looking W/C bike is out.

Tex: Fantastic bike, great handling, great comfort, heated seat, standard cruise control...if I hadn't bought the MTS this would have been the bike prior to the W/C GS's debut.

Stelvio: Great bike but heavy and really tractor like, and almost zero dealer support where I live.

Ymmv of course...
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014