ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
mark1305 OP
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Question Anyone Ever Visit Or Stay At These Kentucky Parks?

I'm putting together a rough plan for riding from mid-GA up to the Greenville, OH area next weekend and arriving in OH Monday afternoon, 7/18. A couple of potentially good spots to camp overnight just over the halfway point include Levi Jackson SP at London, KY and Ft Boonesboro SP at Richmond, KY.

Anyone familiar with these parks? Any oddsmakers on finding a camping space at either one on a July weekend?

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 AM   #2
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Never been to those parks, but I lived in Louisville for a short time during my stint in the circus ( ). Great scenery, beautiful state. Have a good time, and watch out for the 5-0 if you're going through L'ville.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:49 AM   #3
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,119
Haven't stayed there but if your route takes you near Bowling Green, Ky stop at Mammoth Cave if you have time. Nice state park and tons of cool caves.
It's about 120miles west of London, KY

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 07:53 AM   #4
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,686
The closer you stay to the eastern edge of kentucky the more likely that there will be campsites available at the parks. Those that are pretty close to I-75 tend to get pretty crowded with the "I want to be adventurous and go camping, but not that far" type of people.
Just be aware, if you take the fun roads thru Kentucky, it can take a long time to go a little ways on the map.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
mark1305 OP
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
Thanks for the replies everyone. Good info regarding the I-75 corridor. As luck would have it, the only stretch of the trip I really plan to use it will be from around Corbin, KY to Lexington. All else will be state and US highways through some of the more scenic areas.

Since my overnight stop will be a Sunday night, I should benefit from the weekend warriors pulling out by the time I start looking for a stop that afternoon. If all else fails, there's always the luxury of a motel on the way to a camp out - kind of ironic.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Spacerat
I worry about my apathy.

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Haven't stayed there but if your route takes you near Bowling Green, Ky stop at Mammoth Cave if you have time. Nice state park and tons of cool caves.
It's about 120miles west of London, KY
Super +1. Mammoth Cave rocks. It's worth the detour even if your not nearby.