User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
micah360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
just bought a KTM 625 SXC and have a few questions

Well, the KLR was just too boring for me (I tried and tried and tried to make it into a more exciting bike, but it never did it for me), so I traded the KLR in on this 2004 KTM 625 SXC and have a couple of questions.

1. CUSH DRIVE. I'm pretty sure this bike does not have one. What are the benefits of having one vs not. Is that something that can be added later. Do I need a whole new hub for something like that. Can I get by without one?

2. OIL CAPACITY. I know this bike's oil capacity is lower than the 640s. What is the main negative on that? Does that just mean that the oil will get dirty quicker and require more frequent changes? About how many miles between changes is regular on this bike?

This thing is a kick in the pants to drive though... man! It's my first KTM and I never understood that the quality of parts, fitment and workmanship was so nice, until now. It is a little tall for me though, but I don't think I want to lower it, but we'll see how many times I drop it first...

micah360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,035
I wouldn't sweat the cush hub. If you are going to worry anyway, there are cush sprockets. Google is your friend for those. But I know a couple of guys that have put a lot of street miles on SXC's without any trouble. The guy below rode his about as hard as you can without any issues.

I also wouldn't sweat the oil capacity for basically the same reason. It seems like every KTM owners manual is a little different on capacity. But it will only be a few tenths less than than my E. Instead of the frame tank and spin on filter it has a piggyback filter that holds a decent amount of oil. Should be the round thing between your kickstarter and frame in that picture.

Enjoy. That is about the most entertaining bike I have ever ridden. To me, it splits EXC dirt goodness and Japanese 650 street goodness perfectly. With a decent seat it makes a damned good long haul dual sport that still has pretty serious trail ability. That is the bike and even the year that orginally sold me on the orange Koolaid.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 09:44 AM
Grreatdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Thumb That bike looks like it is in VERY good shape !

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah360 View Post

1. CUSH DRIVE. I'm pretty sure this bike does not have one. What are the benefits of having one vs not. Is that something that can be added later. Do I need a whole new hub for something like that. Can I get by without one?

I think there is a chance that your bike actually does have a cush
drive hub. If you can post some photos of the rear hub from the right rear
side of the bike we can tell by looking whether it's cush drive or not. We need
to see what the hub looks like behind the rear sprocket.

The benefit of the cush drive is that it absorbs some of the shocks which pass
through the driveline when the bike is being ridden. A big single cylinder engine
makes driveline shocks which are worse than the shocks which a multi cylinder
engine makes ( they don't call them thumpers for nothing). Such driveline shocks
can result in damage to the splines on the countershaft ( this is a known issue with
the Honda XR650L ) and possibly also damage to other internal transmission parts.
I'm not saying damage WILL happen, but a cush drive hub reduces the probability
such damage will happen and that is why some bikes come with them.

If you want to add one, the cush drive is in the hub itself, so you would
need to either buy a hub and lace it to your old rim or buy a complete
wheel assembly which has a cush drive hub.

Last time I looked into those cush sprockets ( I am referring to the ones
which were made in Australia ) there were reports of sprocket failure
which sounded like something I would prefer to avoid. It is possible they
have worked out the bugs by now but the design of the cush sprocket
requires that the cush mechanism is contained in a relatively small area
which means the shock loading will be concentrated over a smaller area and that
makes me skeptical that a cush sprocket will work well on a bike which
has a lot of torque like your 625 does. I'd much rather have a cush hub ;
the cush rubbers do need to be replaced periodically but they are not
something which can cause a sudden failure without plenty of prior warning
and so are a very reliable method of absorbing driveline shock.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 10:59 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
micah360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

here's a shot from the backside. Can you tell from this?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah360 View Post
here's a shot from the backside. Can you tell from this?

I guessed wrong :-(

You do not have a cush drive.

With a cush drive the rear sprocket bolts to a "carrier"
which then fits into the hub which holds the rubber dampers.

Look at post # 18 on the web page below and you can
see a nice photo of an aftermarket hub which has a cush
drive for a KTM 530.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14070623

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 11:25 AM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
micah360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

gotcha... thanks.

I was looking at those Kush Sprockets and I guess they have a new design/generation out because the previous ones were failing.

BUT.. Woody's Wheel works is local to me so maybe I'll call them and see if they have any options for me. They probably have lots of take-off KTM wheels in there.

micah360 screwed with this post 03-10-2013 at 11:46 AM
Old 03-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
gnuttis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
The only 625SXC who got the cush drive was the 2007 the last year with the old LC4 engine before the 690enduro enter 2008. Put a offroad wheel with cushdrive from a 620/640 it will fit. The problem many had with the SXC was that the chain broke down because SXC was built for offroad roads and not tarmac. Is good for your gearbox.

About the engineoil it,s the same as 640 2,1liters. 625-02 and the 660-03 got the 1,6 liters. The have the same place for the inner oilfilter on the right side down where the brakepedal is and other filter behind the cylinder.

I got the 640-01, 625-02, 660-03, 625-04 and 400-98 with the old LC4 until I bought 690EnduroR -11 & rode the Tuareg Rallye with it the sold it :(. I really like the 625, my girlfriend sold her 640SM last year and bought a 625SXC -04 about 2 days ago. Hmmm she knows that I,am going to try drive her KTM instead of my XT660R :)

Nice you got the 18liters tank but with 12liters it feels so much smaller but the orginal 9liters is a nice but not for long trips. Try find a plate under the engine and frameguards like this!
http://www.ebay.de/itm/KTM-LC4-LC-4-...item5aeed8499b
gnuttis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 509
That SXC looks good.

Though the clutch basket is damped (cool feature) cush wheel is needed if it's going to see much pavement with a heavy wrist.

Oil is about 1500ml, keep it clean. I did about 750 to 1200mi intervals depending on conditions, how hot my motor got and how hard I ran the motor.

I made it to over 35k miles on my '04 before I sold it. Damn fun bike, enjoy yours!

PS, make sure you run the chain good and loose. When everyone is saying it looks too loose and to tighten it up, you've probably got it just right.
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
gnuttis
Adventurer

EDIT: Strange that USA model only have 1,6 liters and EU model have 2,1 liters about the oil. micah360 do you have any kind of black oil filter front of the cylinder?

Here is a 625-02
http://image.annonsborsen.se/raw/1006000/1006958_1.jpg

You can see behind the cylinder the extra oil filter. On you 625 you have the electric starter so why does KTM put only one filter and 1,6 liters is weird!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
micah360 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

it has 2 oil filters. One towards the back, behind the kickstarter, and another one on the other side of the engine down by the brake pedal.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 981
you don't have a cush drive.... but i think that's already been said....

ride one w/a cush drive on asphalt, back to back w/yours, and your question will be answered........ no question, really.... zack at woody's hooked me up w/nice used parts that i strung up myself, good stuff....

sweet lookin' bike!....
davesupreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
gnuttis
Adventurer

Ooooh I saw the filter now in front of the WP shock ;)

Skickat från min GT-I9100 via Tapatalk 2
Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,961
Congrats!

My bike started as a 625 sxc.. There a few things you should do including the cush wheel. I ride very hard and demolished one hub and cracked another and have heard of many failures.
Get an 02 LC4 or 640 Adventure wheel complete with the sprocket carrier they come in a 2 1/2 in (wider) rim in silver. If you try to just buy the hub you will need different spokes.
First off before anything do it yourself or have a valve job done to see where you are at.You should also change the oil frequently (under 2000 mi).
I would also rebuld the 10.5 Magura clutch master plunger and the lever insert to avoid slop as well as a new Oring on the Slave and when in there make sure to put in new fluid and bleed.

Other than that ride the shit out of it and when you want upgrades or have any issues use this dedicated thread to solve them. Anything that will happen to your bike has already happened to some one else here so we can help you KTM KOOL AID addiction!!
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuttis View Post
EDIT: Strange that USA model only have 1,6 liters and EU model have 2,1 liters about the oil. micah360 do you have any kind of black oil filter front of the cylinder?

Here is a 625-02
http://image.annonsborsen.se/raw/1006000/1006958_1.jpg

You can see behind the cylinder the extra oil filter. On you 625 you have the electric starter so why does KTM put only one filter and 1,6 liters is weird!

The SXC here was designed for desert racing market here and not street use, Ktm shaved off as much weight as possible.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #15
gnuttis
Adventurer

seems that both weights 132kg?