ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
coryo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Cry moving to california with my minnesota street legal 650r

Please help me!!! I am moving to cali from minnesota, can i register my 04 xr 650r for road use there? I understand it may be trickywhat are my options? Open to loop holes or what ever it takes to make it work??! Thank you so much. Please have good news...
coryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
As long as it has over 7000 miles it should not be a problem. The only time there is a problem is if you already live in Calif. People bring in non California vehicles with them as they move all the time . Good luck and enjoy the great riding we have here. Rod
Old 06-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodT View Post
As long as it has over 7000 miles it should not be a problem. The only time there is a problem is if you already live in Calif. People bring in non California vehicles with them as they move all the time .
I think so too. I bet TUCKERS would know, maybe he will see this thread.

You need proof of insurance when going to DMV, and they are going to want to know the mileage on the bike. You are required to have an odometer, I had trouble registering my XR400R because of this.
My odometer resets at 100 miles. I had to lie
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
coryo OP
Adventurer

Thanks fellow riders!

Getting excited to move to your state! The info here is very helpful, glad it giving me hope to bring my 650r!! Thank you my friends, keep you ideas and oppinions coming, helps others too!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,630
No insurance proof needed on initial visit to register.

7500 miles and 50 state rule does not apply if vehicle is registered in same name out of state. This rule is for change of ownership.

XR650R may be a problem, depends on the VIN #, only a DMV verification will prove this.

Yes, must show odometer reading. You can use a Vapor or a GPS...no odometer no plate...don't even bother trying without one...you will get a green sticker.
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
I'm not sure you guys are right about that. If it was an XR650L, it would be no problem, but the R was/is dirt only in California as far as I know.

Some people have managed to get them plated, though, with mixed results. Sometimes the plates are never questioned, and sometimes they get flagged and pulled by the CA DMV. My uncle has a, XR400 that has been plated since new, and his luck is holding.

Check out this thread on thumpertalk.com:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/137...in-california/

I would suggest you call the DMV, but you will get a variety of answers depending on who answers the phone. Not too helpful. The bad news is if you bring it out and cannot plate it, the value will drop. I have been shopping for a small dual sport for my wife, and was surprised by the prices differences of identical bikes depending on their plate eligibility. If that is the case, you would be better off selling it, and buying a plated one here. I just saw a 2002 for $3100.

Hopefully, I am wrong.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I'm not sure you guys are right about that. If it was an XR650L, it would be no problem, but the R was/is dirt only in California as far as I know.
I have dual registration on my XR. Its registered as street bike and a dirt bike.
Every two years I have to buy a green sticker and every year tags of course.

I think if I ever sold the bike, whoever bought it might have trouble registering it.
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,741
You may have a problem if the bike was never emission tested. Does it have a 49 state road emission sticker? I don't think they did. If it has a 3 or C in the 8th number of the Vin you are dead in the water. But I don't think they have that either.

One thing in your favor is it was street licensed in another state and you are moving here, opposed to a person here buying it out of state and bringing it in . You might sneak through. It is mostly the luck of the draw, some DMV employees seem to be incompetent. Sometime is works in your favor.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I have dual registration on my XR. Its registered as street bike and a dirt bike.
Every two years I have to buy a green sticker and every year tags of course.

I think if I ever sold the bike, whoever bought it might have trouble registering it.
The bikes could be licensed up until 1/04. I don't why you have it dual licensed. You can take a street licensed bike anywhere you take a green sticker one.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
One thing in your favor is it was street licensed in another state and you are moving here, opposed to a person here buying it out of state and bringing it in . You might sneak through. It is mostly the luck of the draw, some DMV employees seem to be incompetent. Sometime is works in your favor.
That's a good point. You could just walk in, and say you want to get a CA plate for a "motorcycle" you already own. Don't even mention dirt or dual sport. If they say you can't do it, gather your papers and walk out without paying any fees or starting any paperwork, then try another DMV.

Worst case scenario; you can sell it to a neighboring state where it is allowed on the street.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #11
coryo OP
Adventurer

still worried but gonna try it...

I got alot of people telling me mixed results, but i have to risk it, cali is like home for the xrr. When i get there i am willing to go where ever in state to improve my odds and or pay someone to help my odds if could help. Worst case...i ride it on my minnesota plates as long as possible, then bring back to minnesota or and sell it for street use in neighboring state there. I just wanna ride it there! Thanks again everyone! Keep the ideas coming....
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
The bikes could be licensed up until 1/04. I don't why you have it dual licensed. You can take a street licensed bike anywhere you take a green sticker one.
Apparently at some state parks you must have a green sticker for off road use.
I dont know for sure. I was led to believe this was true
The DMV asked me if I wanted dual registration, WTF, why not. I just wanted the bike registered whatever it cost.
Untill I'm ready
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I just saved you some money.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,273
Bottom line is they want to see the Emissions Label and the XR650R doesn't have one.

Don't bother with the DMV, google for a Registration Service in the area you're moving to...pay a fee and they do the work for you, title and plate will come in the mail...it's what they do for a living and know how to do it legally.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
The DMV asked me if I wanted dual registration, WTF, why not. I just wanted the bike registered whatever it cost.

It's a feel good thing, the green sticker $$ is supposed to help keep the OHV parks open for use.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote