ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #46
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Talking

Such a great weekend of riding! From the 1st hard split to looking for trail 9A (we never did find it), this ride was an awesome adventure. Thanks to the OMC for organizing this ride. The weather was perfect, even in Ft. Bragg.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #47
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Another great event!

Only comment would be that the 2nd roll-chart for sunday needed some help. Lots of riders got a bit lost on Bartlett Springs Road after coming from Clear Lake. Appears we turned onto M12 when we should have stayed to the right? GPS said we were still on Bartlett Springs Road but the roll-chart was worthless the rest of the ride.

Any word on the rider of the KTM 690 who broke his leg on Low Gap Rd. sunday morning? We saw the tow truck loading up the bike & CHP was there too at 1pm sunday. Hope he is alright.

Loved the ride!
motowest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #48
nrvale0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
The guy who broke his leg is named Cody. He's gonna be alright but his leg is pretty f-ed up. I'm buddies with him and was about 3 miles ahead on the trail when it happened. We got word last night that he was out of surgery at Santa Rosa Memorial with multiple compound fracture and a he's not going to be able to through the metal detector at the airport any longer. The SMS pictures that were flying around were gross.

On that note, everyone in our party was scrambling around trying to coordinate the evac that we didn't get a pic of the bike. Apparently it was standing in the middle of the trail completely upside down (resting on bars and seat with the wheels in the air). If anyone has a picture to share please PM me. After Cody is feeling better we can hopefully get a good laugh out of that pic.
nrvale0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #49
missadventure
n00bie d00bie d00

Oddometer: 281
I just want to thank all of the volunteers at the Oakland Motorcycle Club for putting on another great event! What a fun ride - I'll be back next year.

Special thanks to Super Suz
Next year I'll bring cookie bars AND Laphroaig
missadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #50
third eye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hope Cody gets well, we rode past and saw him lying on the side of the trail. Seems like some people were going just a little too fast down that trail yesterday
third eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #51
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
D And a GPS option for the ride would be awesome.
They've been doing that ride for how long and *still* no GPS Tracks? Gee Whiz...

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #52
PastRedline
Wanderer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
They've been doing that ride for how long and *still* no GPS Tracks? Gee Whiz...
I dunno, I sort of enjoyed the novelty of learning how to use a rollchart - given the option, I would have just grabbed GPS tracks and missed out on trying the roll chart. I do wish we could have done the hard split at the end - we missed it since that part was mismarked on mileage.

(as a backup, I did have one downloaded from a previous sheetiron in case I had to reference it).
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #53
klinquist OP
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
Both Sunday roll charts, shall we say, have room for improvement. And a GPS option for the ride would be awesome.

Agreed. I'm looking for someone that has GPS tracks of all the hard splits so I can go back up there and make a weekend out of 'em.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #54
klinquist OP
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,085
Vid I just put together..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuNkFhrrWQs
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #55
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvale0 View Post
The guy who broke his leg is named Cody. He's gonna be alright but his leg is pretty f-ed up. I'm buddies with him and was about 3 miles ahead on the trail when it happened. We got word last night that he was out of surgery at Santa Rosa Memorial with multiple compound fracture and a he's not going to be able to through the metal detector at the airport any longer. The SMS pictures that were flying around were gross.

On that note, everyone in our party was scrambling around trying to coordinate the evac that we didn't get a pic of the bike. Apparently it was standing in the middle of the trail completely upside down (resting on bars and seat with the wheels in the air). If anyone has a picture to share please PM me. After Cody is feeling better we can hopefully get a good laugh out of that pic.
That wouldn't be Cody that's a member of the Piston and Chain MC club, is it?

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #56
somanygoodbikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
That's quick turnaround time on the video there. I've only finger-swipe fast-forwarded through the 17 hours (!) of raw Go Pro files I've got.

I wish I'd brought my printout of the South Cow area PDF with me. Instead of spending way too much time trying to find 9A, we could have just looked ahead on the roll chart and looked at the map and taken trail 10 over to our choice of the hard or hard/expert options. They were all pretty easily accessible, even from the main road.

The yellow line I added is as far as most people got before getting stuck looking for 9A. The reddish orange line is where we wanted to go. The red line is the last hard(est) section. The orange line is the link we could have taken on trail 10.

Compare to the raw map:

You can get the PDF here:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...th_Cow_Mtn.pdf

The official OHV area map, could, shall we say, also use some improvement as it doesn't designate any off the alternate/additional trails (like 7K, 7C, etc.)
somanygoodbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #57
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
One more vote for gps tracks to go along with the rollchart - it would have helped a few people sunday afternoon.
motowest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #58
nrvale0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
That wouldn't be Cody that's a member of the Piston and Chain MC club, is it?
Yup, it was him. For those who know him and want to get in touch, I can share his email. Just PM me.

nrvale0 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 06:11 AM
nrvale0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #59
jk71
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvale0 View Post
Yup, it was him. For those who know him and want to get in touch, I can share his email. Just PM me.
Glad to hear he's OK, we stopped and chatted with them for a bit (it was on Sherwood not Low Gap) - he was looking pretty shaken up.
jk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #60
Rat Patrol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
No drops - saw the Ural! Awesome event!
Rat Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote