ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #61
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
Did anybody ever find trail 9A in Cow?
It's not there - I was totally disappointed that the roll-chart/route was the same as 2 years ago - turn for turn... chart errors included.
They can't even fix the issues between 2 years... bummer.

That said, after we couldn't find 9A for the 2nd year, we just took off based on the GPS map in the Garmin which showed the trails.
Went wondering around , had a good time and somehow we sort of joined back to the steep downhill / creek crossing / nice uphill - looking at tire tracks maybe 3-4 bikes had gone through that - the elevator shaft :-)...
Did Section 8 - hard split as well -

The afternoon same shit, on Bartlett spring road the mileage for the hard split is screwed up - the left turn to cross the creek is not at ~28miles but more like 24 miles - ways before the lake.

Now if somebody from the OMC would pre-ride and check the route before re-using the same thing it would go a long way - unless it's fixed I won't go back.

This year the dust was bad - everything was so dry and all the creeks were dry too.
That's why Cody got hurt - couldn't see anything - and the construction on HWY 1 which was packing the riders in batch of 50-60 heading into the trails wasn't great either - just because of that - the route should have been reverted and the whole dust situation better by spreading the riders more. The construction zone would not have generated any issues at the end of Saturday.

And yes I know the details of the accident, I trailer-ed up with the guy that call 911 for Cody, and he was bike #2 behind him. Unfortunately I trailer-ed back alone as he was with Cody at the Hospital.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #62
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk71 View Post
Glad to hear he's OK, we stopped and chatted with them for a bit (it was on Sherwood not Low Gap) - he was looking pretty shaken up.
Sherwood road was Saturday late afternoon,
Low Gap was Sunday morning.

Cody got hurt Sunday morning -
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #63
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,955
These clubs are always looking for new members to lighten their workload, and you get to ride a lot.

Just sayin'

'02 BN125 Eliminator, oversize 150 rear tire, 1 down on the front sprocket, Amsoil full synthetic race oil, dual gremlin bells
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #64
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk71 View Post
Glad to hear he's OK, we stopped and chatted with them for a bit (it was on Sherwood not Low Gap) - he was looking pretty shaken up.
That may have been a different accident. CHP said there were four that weekend, including at least one on Sherwood. Cody's incident was about 6 miles from the intersection of Orr Springs and Low Gap, on Low Gap.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #65
RoundEye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinquist View Post
I'M A STAR!! 40 seconds in, that's ME piloting the Ural! I got passed by everyone starting after 7:30 both days.

Thank You OMC for yet another great event! 2007 Ural Arctic Gear Up w/ Sidecar, 3 times in, two time finisher. I can't wait till next year!
RoundEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #66
RoundEye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
No drops - saw the Ural! Awesome event!
No drops, PILOTED the Ural, awesome event!

All the best to Cody!
RoundEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #67
cobra46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Although I don't know Cody, he's a fellow rider and I hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery. Did he end up taking the helicopter or an ambulance?

One thing that is complete bullshit is that the ambulance was coming up the road towards where the road was washed away. My friend told them the road is not passable. Their response was that they know about the road but are required to make an effort. If they can't make it, they radio to have an ambulance from the other side come out. This seems very inefficient and potentially could cost a life.

Maybe I should give one of these investigative reporters a call on this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
cobra46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #68
MrEndo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by somanygoodbikes View Post
There were dozens of riders with us, lost looking for the reset point after the creek on the left after lunch on Sunday too.

Both Sunday roll charts, shall we say, have room for improvement. And a GPS option for the ride would be awesome.
I think it was the reset after section 6 sunday that was mis mileaged. They had it as 28.2 or something like that but I think it was closer to 22 miles. I went back and think I found the creek crossing but then just pressed on because I had to get home. Even if there were no GPS tracks provided, a few waypoints at the resets could be sent out in advance and that would be pretty easy to do.
2006 950 Adv S/2002 640 Adv/1970 Yamaha RT1
MrEndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #69
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvale0 View Post
On that note, everyone in our party was scrambling around trying to coordinate the evac that we didn't get a pic of the bike. Apparently it was standing in the middle of the trail completely upside down (resting on bars and seat with the wheels in the air). If anyone has a picture to share please PM me. After Cody is feeling better we can hopefully get a good laugh out of that pic.
It was like that when I rounded the bend, but I was too busy trying to see if I could help Cody (and make sure he didn't get run over) that I didn't even consider snapping a pic. It sure was shocking to have a bike upright but upside-down, facing me, when I rounded that bend. Good thing I'm slow as hell.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #70
roamtheglobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
My short blog from this years Sheetiron

My first year doing the Sheetiron, had a blast, lots of good riding. Got pretty lost on Cow Mtn, but ended up doing every split imaginable, so that was fun...
Really enjoyed the final hard split after lunch on Sunday...
http://sheetiron2013.blogspot.com/
roamtheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #71
nrvale0
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonerov View Post
It was like that when I rounded the bend, but I was too busy trying to see if I could help Cody (and make sure he didn't get run over) that I didn't even consider snapping a pic. It sure was shocking to have a bike upright but upside-down, facing me, when I rounded that bend. Good thing I'm slow as hell.
Bonerov,

Are you the EMT-in-training who was onsite with Daniel at the accident? If so, glad you popped into the thread. In the rush to get it all straightened out I don't believe anyone ever got names or contact information for the folks who were helping. Not sure where you reside but we would love to have you as a guest @ Piston and Chain and perhaps we can take you out for dinner/drinks as a way to thank you. From speaking to Daniel, it would have been a much hairier situation without the help.
nrvale0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #72
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Bonerov,

Are you the EMT-in-training who was onsite with Daniel at the accident? If so, glad you popped into the thread. In the rush to get it all straightened out I don't believe anyone ever got names or contact information for the folks who were helping. Not sure where you reside but we would love to have you as a guest @ Piston and Chain and perhaps we can take you out for dinner/drinks as a way to thank you. From speaking to Daniel, it would have been a much hairier situation without the help.
Yes, please!

There were actually two gents whose names I didn't get: the EMT-in-training and, a little later, the more experienced EMT. I did get the names of the firefighters and sent big thanks their way.

I can't tell you how fantastic it is to have people on the trail who both a) know how to patch up a compound fracture, and b) willingly, voluntarily stop to help out. Thanks to you four, and to anyone who takes the time to pick up wilderness first aid training.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive

dpifko screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 10:06 PM
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #73
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,197
Video of Cody's crash

It's tough to make out at first, but he's top-center. Looks like he was actually trying to give someone a lift.....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=163589087150860

Get well, Cody!

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #74
Cafe Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Bonerov,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpifko View Post
Yes, please!

There were actually two gents whose names I didn't get: the EMT-in-training and, a little later, the more experienced EMT. I did get the names of the firefighters (Miguel Carion and Henry Choy) and sent big thanks their way.

I can't tell you how fantastic it is to have people on the trail who both a) know how to patch up a compound fracture, and b) willingly, voluntarily stop to help out. Thanks to you four, and to anyone who takes the time to pick up wilderness first aid training.

Hello,

I am Miguel the San Francisco Firefighter that stopped to assist Cody. I came upon this accident scene and pretty much just went to work. But it was not possible without the help of several others.

Our group of six riders as well as a few others that we had come to meet at the incident, all took efforts to protect the patient as well as making the scene safe for other riders passing through.

Many thanks to Paul, a rider in our group as well as a member of ADV as he acted as the trail watchman alerting riders that they were entering into an area with a down rider.

Thank you also to the rider(s) that I asked to bring me some short tree branches, rages and towels and electrical tape required to make a field splint.

Cody was in good spirits considering the amount of damage and pain he was experiencing. We did our best to make a horrible accident as comfortable as possible.

Cheers to the local Volunteer Fire Dept, Ukiah Ambulance and CHP. They were able to get to the scene even though the terrain was challenging.

Cody is free to contact me at his convenience. I wish him a strong recovery. I am sure that he will be back just as strong. And I speak from experience. I too set off airport alarms.

Miguel Carion
aka Cafe Racer / BayAreaRidersForum.com

Cafe Racer screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 08:15 PM
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #75
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Video

That video is so funny. I really did laugh out loud.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote