ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #76
mr.cody.daniel
Mercenary Engineer

Oddometer: 4
Healing Up

Not to revive a dead thread or anything.. but thought I'd just give y'all an update (someone had sent this thread to me in the hospital, but I had promptly forgot it due to all the hydromorphone floating 'round in me..)

I'm just rounding the bend at five weeks and am healing up quite well! Nice thing about being young ;) Already load bearing, skin graft is 100%, scarring intricate and interesting, on crutches and back at work. Even managed to hobble the few blocks to the motorcycle club the other day.

All in all it was a very humbling experience, and I'm extremely grateful to everyone on the scene who helped. The unknown first EMT-in-training was a little nervous but very talented, Darren (I think?) and Paul(??) were good characters there, and I especially want to thank Miguel above (with his sticks!) and his crew who took over the scene and really calmed things down.

It was a hellacious hour and a half, and while I didn't realize it at the time, I was very much in shock, as I don't remember any motorcycles going by... Without their expertise it would've been a much rougher scene.

Again, I'm humbled by your humanity, and by extension the ineffable nature of the advrider and greater motorcycle communities. I've received cards from other motorcycle clubs telling me to heal up already and many well-wishes from other riders out there. Y'all are good folk.

-----

People have often asked what happened, and I don't fully remember all the details, but what I've pieced together is as follows. I remember being passed on the left into that left hand turn, which raised another layer of dust into already low visibility. I cut speed as he passed me, but ended up long on the turn? The point I remember after that is seeing a small, maybe 12" embankment going back onto the trail from where I was (slightly up the hill). Thinking "oh, this is no problem" and then the next moment I'm on the ground trying to pull myself upright and feeling my leg separate in a highly unusual fashion.

I'm told there was a large root sticking out of the embankment and that my front axle nut had a lot of wood debris on it, matching a fresh chunk torn out of the root. So likely as I went down the embankment I hit that root, the bars slapped to the side, and as I was descending with speed I went over the handlebars. The bike was found upside down, so I am assuming it followed course, flipped over, and smashed my leg tibia. But I really don't know.

I've been riding dirt bikes since I was a little lass, and have had tons of simple lay-downs in the woods of Ohio. This is my first real accident, hopefully my last, and one helluva experience. Happy I had helmet, thick boots, and chest armor. A few centimeters to the side and I would've probably got up and rode off. But now I've got a bionic leg and a war story, and can't wait to get back on and riding again with my titanium-powered rear brake skillz.

Again, thanks for the well wishes, and I'll make sure to follow up with you Miguel.

Hope to see y'all out there!

Cheers,
mr.cody.daniel is offline   Reply With Quote