Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
2015 wr250f

Got me one! Anyone else?
Really like it, but needs ECU upgrade bigtime. Here's how mine stands currently.. Enduro Engineering Bark-Busters w/ stock pipe.

NTDF..
ECU upgrade. Got it, plan to install ASAP when/if I buy GYT-R power tuner or have shop do it (if I can get solid answer that they have equip and skill to do task).
Airbox mod (prior to ECU tune).
Exhaust mod (prior to ECU tune).

ECU that I ordered when bike was purchased backordered until May (maybe). Found one (new in package) from MC dealer on EBAY and had it in my hands in three days! Got it Friday, 10APR15. The Competition ECU "kit" also has instructions on how to perform mods I listed above and tuner settings based on pipe/riding style.
Would love to hear what other owners are doing to their bikes and tuner settings if applicable.
ColoradoBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
dhb400
No Regrets

Oddometer: 217
I am thinking about getting one. Probably going to look at one this week. How did you find the stock power? I know you said it needs the different ecu. Was the power really weak stock? I am a little concerned about power because I will be coming off a 500 cc bike.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #3
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am using my previously owned 450x as a reference here, but you will be disappointed/frustrated with the low end power and hesitation due to the ECU, but get it in the upper revs and the bike zooms just fine and not much difference than my old Honda. Based on ride reports/reviews, when I replace ECU and make air box and exhaust mods it is supposed to eliminate the off idle annoyance. if this holds true, you will not be disappointed in the power (or top speed) of the bike IMO (and I'm a couple of donuts shy of 233lbs). I will be doing the mods and installing new ECU tomorrow, but have to wait until 24apr for my appointment at to "tune" the ECU. I will take it for a ride that weekend to verify how this changes character of stock set-up. More than anything, riding such a light bike w/ superb suspension is so nice and I can ride longer and more aggressive. I am not disappointed that I bought the bike one bit
Old 04-16-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 5,131
I've been pondering one of these little beasts.
I have 4 bikes now---and will use the license plate off my WR250R since the F is not street legal----if licensing it becomes more than I want to do.
I will always be riding in places where a street legal bike is required.

Sure like to ride one to see how it runs.

My WR250R is fine--------no----it's "great"-------- for dualsporting and traveling---but I'd like the F for more rugged terrain. I'll still need a bigger tank for it---but the gas tank guys have been on the ball lately on these new fuel injected bikes. I very rarely ride less than 100 miles.

If it works out------------my street legal 2006 450EXC will be gone.

Still------seems crazy to have to modify it to run right-------it's an offroad bike-------don't understand that ???
The 6-speed and FI will be awesome. I'm sure it will be much faster than my WR250R.

Local dealer won't even service the bike to run---until I "PAY" for it.

BigDog

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 04-16-2015 at 07:43 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would test ride the 250FX and use that as the test sample for power. If you ride a stock, just out of the box WR250F you will not like it because of the off-idle roughnes. Just like the mags say, you can ride around this, but it forces you to ride in the upper revs which hinders tight single track functionality. Fortunately, I had read all of the comparisons/reviews prior to deciding which new 250 Yami to buy and decided it would be cheaper/smarter to hop-up the WR as opposed to making the FX more "legal". One must remember that this is still a 250 4-stroke and it will never be as powerful/fast as a 450/500 coming out of a flat corner and gasing it down a straight. Also, I'm in my fifties and have begun to dial-back things a bit. Honestly, even with my stock setup, I notice the pleasure of a lighter, beter handling bike more than the loss of umph from moving down from 450x.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #6
dhb400
No Regrets

Thanks for the very detailed information. I am in my fifties too and I am looking to downsize from the 500 because lighter better handling trumps brute power. If I get one, I plan on replacing the Ecu as well.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
crjdirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
wr250f

Congrats on the new bike and please keep us updated ColoradoBigFoot (and others)! I've got about $2k left to pay on one of my bikes (wr250r) and then I think it's time to add a wr250f to the collection... There's a lot of good bikes out right now, it wasn't easy to narrow it down.

I'm also a bit freaked out by the mods needed/wanted from the get-go but I see myself riding stock for a season knowing that it can only get better with a few improvements (plus I'll have an excuse why I'm slow). I'm going to chance it and cross my fingers I can plate one here in CO.

I look forward to hearing more about the new 250f's!
crjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM   #8
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
I've been pondering one of these little beasts.
I have 4 bikes now---and will use the license plate off my WR250R since the F is not street legal----if licensing it becomes more than I want to do.
I will always be riding in places where a street legal bike is required.

Sure like to ride one to see how it runs.

My WR250R is fine--------no----it's "great"-------- for dualsporting and traveling---but I'd like the F for more rugged terrain. I'll still need a bigger tank for it---but the gas tank guys have been on the ball lately on these new fuel injected bikes. I very rarely ride less than 100 miles.

If it works out------------my street legal 2006 450EXC will be gone.

Still------seems crazy to have to modify it to run right-------it's an offroad bike-------don't understand that ???
The 6-speed and FI will be awesome. I'm sure it will be much faster than my WR250R.

Local dealer won't even service the bike to run---until I "PAY" for it.

BigDog
You can thank California and their ridiculous green and red stickers for that. If you're not in CA, then get the YZ250FX. It's easier to add a headlight and taillight to the YZFX than to "uncork" the WRF. Both show the same stator in the parts fiche, so the YZFX should be able to run lighting. Then you get the good ECU, unrestricted exhaust, etc for free. Be aware though, that both of these bikes have a close ratio 6 speed transmission. They're intended to be off road racers, not play bikes. They're more comparable to a KTM 250XCF than any of the EXC or XCF-W models.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
You can thank California and their ridiculous green and red stickers for that. If you're not in CA, then get the YZ250FX. It's easier to add a headlight and taillight to the YZFX than to "uncork" the WRF. Both show the same stator in the parts fiche, so the YZFX should be able to run lighting. Then you get the good ECU, unrestricted exhaust, etc for free. Be aware though, that both of these bikes have a close ratio 6 speed transmission. They're intended to be off road racers, not play bikes. They're more comparable to a KTM 250XCF than any of the EXC or XCF-W models.

Well almost---for what I do---the wide ratio is an absolute must---and so is the softer enduro suspension----------I won't be racing it. Long distance trail riding.

BigDog
Old 04-16-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
Well almost---for what I do---the wide ratio is an absolute must---and so is the softer enduro suspension----------I won't be racing it. Long distance trail riding.

BigDog
I hear you. I'm building up a KTM 250XCF-W with a big bore and dual sport kit. I'll use it for trails with just the minimum of roads to connect the trails.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
dhb400
No Regrets

Big dog,
I will be using the bike for trail riding too. How is the gearing? Is it good for open trials and fire roads? How are the vibes and does it rev high on the open road? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhb400 View Post
Big dog,
I will be using the bike for trail riding too. How is the gearing? Is it good for open trials and fire roads? How are the vibes and does it rev high on the open road? Thanks.
I've never ridden one dhb-------never even heard one run.
Just sounds and looks like a neat light offroad bike to me.

Sorry,

BigDog
Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
dhb400
No Regrets

Sorry, I meant to ask ColoradoBigfoot.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #14
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,749
Got my eye too

Ha! Nice to see a thread going.. I was just searching for one yesterday!

Josh Green just won rd #3 of AORC on his WR250F, switched from the 450 to 250 this year, and says its just awesome!

But for us... I think this bike would be amazing, heck my '09 WR250F is a ton of fun, its got a bit of on/off throttle response but after different gear ratio its much tamer.. and i'm use to it. Dirt Bike mag did a good comparison as well as Racer X

The 6speed is real nice as you can really fine tune your gearing, but then I think of the tons of hours I've spent on my '09 on trails I rarely hit 5th gear! Too many tight, hilly trails I guess.

My '09 WRF:

Gonna keep a watch on this thread and hopefully doesn't intrigue me toooo much

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #15
ColoradoBigfoot OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Installed ECU and completed airbox mod. Tried to do exhaust baffle removal but did not have right sized allen wrench (ugh) so I bailed. If I cannot get to it by Friday I'll just have shop do it. Install of ECU was easy, you just need to remember to find something to prop-up the gas tank to keep it out of the way so you can access the ECU. I was happy to discover disconnecting the ECU from the power cord did not require a third hand and no bloody knuckles trying to pull them apart. Instructions for airbox mod a bit vague but still easily done. You will need a dremel tool (or something similar) to grind down plastic rivets holding snorkel to backfire screen. Blew me away at how much the intake is restricted. Below is an image of the snorkel. Black tube with ball-end was crammed into velocity stack. Now it's a straight shot from filter to intake. Also got a call from bike shop and they have a brand new GTY-R Power Tuner to dial things in this Friday (24th).
If you are going to execute this ECU upgrade allow 2-3 hours if not so mechanically inclined. If you are confident wrenching, or owned a KTM, it will take less than 2 hours.
Attached Images