User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 AM   #1
DZL850 OP
DZL850

Oddometer: 20
2014 KTM 690 E Fork Bleeders

I picked up my 2014 yesterday. When I got home I realized there are no fork bleeder holes. What is going on, has anyone else figured this one out?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #2
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,691
Now that's a new one on me!

Strange.

Maybe you could remove, drill and tap them-then add the bleeders.

Dirty
Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
DZL850 OP
DZL850

Yeah I guess I could drill and tap, but I don't understand why they would not come with screws already there. My experience has been you need to bleed the forks or you start blowing seals.
I see that Ktmtwins has a preload adjuster set that might work, part # 48600074s9. I wonder if anyone has gone this route?
Old 04-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
sidewayz_control
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Interesting, no bleeders...

But have you thought about reading the owners manual first? Maybe there's no reason to have bleeders. When I got my 2012 I was surprised that I had to bleed my suspension. In this days era, for me bleeding suspension is like having a carburetor.

Ivan

2012 KTM 690 Enduro R
sidewayz_control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 928
from KTM

on their web site
By professionals for everyone: The 2014 KTM 690 Enduro R's WP upside-down fork, with a whole 250 mm of suspension travel and 48 mm outer tubes, is adjustable in many ways and masters the balancing act between everyday, road and offroad use with the greatest of ease. In 2014, it is designed as a split fork with separate damping circuits (compression damping on the left fork tube, rebound damping on the right) that can be adjusted independently of each other. This means that they cannot interact as they do in conventional open bleed systems - thus guaranteeing even sportier, more purposeful and rider-optimised ride characteristics. The pivot-arm articulated WP pressurised-gas monoshock with 250 mm of travel even features high-speed and low-speed compression adjustment.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,691
What in the devil does that hooey gooey/written by the marketing department supposed to mean?

Dirty
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #7
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
What in the devil does that hooey gooey/written by the marketing department supposed to mean?

Dirty
Is KTM suggesting that the split-fork design isn't subject to the change in air pressure prompted by heat buildup within the fork? I doubt it.

FWIW, I read in a suspension service manual that the idea that a lack of air bleeding use can blow seals is a misconception. Bleeders are there to keep the fork performing well when you ride it hard, the fork internals heat up and the air expands (effectively raising your air-spring rate). Some people say you can let air out of the forks when cinching the bike down in a pickup bed, when using a fork brace - this will reduce the strain on the fork during transport without sacrificing the security of the bike in the bed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #8
DZL850 OP
DZL850

Thanks for the replies.
I have the 4CS fork on my 2014 300 XCW Six Day model. It has bleeders and preload adjustment along with compression on one side and rebound on the other. So I am just surprised that the same is not true for the 690.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL850 View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I have the 4CS fork on my 2014 300 XCW Six Day model. It has bleeders and preload adjustment along with compression on one side and rebound on the other. So I am just surprised that the same is not true for the 690.
There are actually two kinds of cartridge forks - open cartridge and closed cartridge. Open cartridge has the rebound adjuster on top and the compression on bottom - closed cartridge is the opposite (just due to the layout of the fork).

Some suspension expert should correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the closed variety doesn't require air bleeding as often because the oil does not interact and expand with the hot air as much as it heats up. Most MX forks are closed-cartridge so their performance is consistent after warm-up. Most enduro forks (save for a few special editions, maybe Six Days in some cases?) are open. Open cartridges are easier to maintain but they require air bleeding or the performance isn't consistent across different temperatures. The 2012 690 has open cartridges but maybe they went to closed cartridge for 2014? Kind of a long shot but it's possible.

--edit-- actually I just checked and it seems the 2014 has the same open cartridge forks as before. So ignore all above
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
invaliduser999
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thumbs down silly fork seals

Did any one figure this out? My fork seal on the left side(if you were sitting on the bike) just died, as in it is spewing out oil. so i have ordered the new seals or the gasket set as the guy at ktm called it and i am taking the forks in tomorrow to have them replaced... but any way to the point of this i was just screwing around with the fork trying to determine why the seal was leaking so i took a film strip and put it between the fork and seal in hopes to clean out what is blocking it and loads of air/pressure and oil of course came out when i did. so obliviously there is a lot of air pressure built up in the fork but no way to get it out?
invaliduser999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #11
TheUfo
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I contacted ktm about this and they couldn't answer my question so I contacted WP Suspension and the answer I got from them was

Dear Mr..... ,

Thank you for your Mail.

The vent screws have been removed as they are not necessary anymore.

Due to our continous developing process, we were able to improve the sealing of the fork to a maximum where almost no air enters into the fork anymore.

I hope this information is of help.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Best regards
Martin Chloupek
Customer Service Motorsports

WP*PERFORMANCE SYSTEMS*GmbH
A-5222 Munderfing | Gewerbegebiet Nord 8
Tel.: +43 (0)7744 / 20240 -*258
E-Mail:*support.msp@wp-group.com
www.wp-group.com
Firmensitz Ried FN 256030s / Landesgericht Ried im Innkreis

Hope it helps
TheUfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM   #12
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by invaliduser999 View Post
Did any one figure this out? My fork seal on the left side(if you were sitting on the bike) just died, as in it is spewing out oil. so i have ordered the new seals or the gasket set as the guy at ktm called it and i am taking the forks in tomorrow to have them replaced... but any way to the point of this i was just screwing around with the fork trying to determine why the seal was leaking so i took a film strip and put it between the fork and seal in hopes to clean out what is blocking it and loads of air/pressure and oil of course came out when i did. so obliviously there is a lot of air pressure built up in the fork but no way to get it out?
if you try a 'seal saver' or a piece of 35mm film around the inner seal, you might fix your problem.... easy try before a total service.... it might just be a little dirt stuck in there that will come out if you run a seal saver around it....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote