Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #1531
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
you can get it cheaper on ktmtalk through Munn racing. i just checked....

laramie
Sweet! I just rechecked it and the primary coil test reads .7 I checked with the leads touching each other and it read between .2 and .3 so it looks like that test is just about right since Im looking for .4 to .5ish. The secondary coil test give me no reading (OL). I tried it again directly to where the ignition wire connects to the coil with the same result so Im assuming this means the coil is bad? Im surprised that the bike runs at all this way. Does this make sense? Time to order a coil?
frdbronco8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #1532
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyw View Post
Anybody got one setup on a ADV or any LC4? I was wondering about the side straps. Or if anyone can finda some pics. thanks
dancingboy runs one on his 690
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #1533
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Hey guys,,a good friend,noninmate,just picked up a 2000 640ADV,and has been have'n problems with starting the bike.
For some reason the bike doesn't like to start unless he turns the idle way up.When he turns the idle up,it'll barely start.Then he gets the idle set and rides.Runs great,,,till you shut it off,and try and restart it.Then he has to turn the idle way up again to get it started.
Anybody have this problem?
Or what do you guys think?Valves maybe alittle to tight?
Or is there a common thing with these BST carbs??

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #1534
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyw View Post
Anybody got one setup on a ADV or any LC4? I was wondering about the side straps. Or if anyone can finda some pics. thanks
This is the only picture I could find of my bike with the GL on.
Attached Images

99 KTM 640e
HydroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #1535
frdbronco8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
So much for that, looks like the coil is good after all, I was using the meter wrong. Once I set it to 20K setting it read 12.73 which is within spec for the secondary coil. So, the coil is good, the carb seems good, the capacitor seems good. Ok guys whats next. Im all ears
frdbronco8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #1536
Zwoehr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
What does your spark plug look like? Check that your choke (enrichment) cable is not adjusted wrong or bound up. How many volts does your battery have? Can you start the bike over and over with the E start? Still sounds like a fuel problem (too much gas) since it happens when it is warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
So much for that, looks like the coil is good after all, I was using the meter wrong. Once I set it to 20K setting it read 12.73 which is within spec for the secondary coil. So, the coil is good, the carb seems good, the capacitor seems good. Ok guys whats next. Im all ears
Zwoehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #1537
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroDog View Post
This is the only picture I could find of my bike with the GL on.
How do you get off of that? Your bike, like mine, only has a center stand, and I can't figure out how to get off the bike with packs right in front and behind. Without just laying the bike on it's side, I mean.

Maybe I should be asking "just how tall are you?"

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #1538
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
How do you get off of that? Your bike, like mine, only has a center stand, and I can't figure out how to get off the bike with packs right in front and behind. Without just laying the bike on it's side, I mean.

Maybe I should be asking "just how tall are you?"
break down and buy an SW Motech sidestand from Twisted Throttle-it will make your life sooo much better! One word of advice with it is to seal up the hole in the bottom with silicone
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #1539
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
break down and buy an SW Motech sidestand from Twisted Throttle-it will make your life sooo much better! One word of advice with it is to seal up the hole in the bottom with silicone
Am I the only rider who steps onto the left footpeg to get on and off the bike when it's full loaded??? Am I dishonoring our dirt rider's breed? AM I TOO GIRLY TO BE PART OF ADVRIDER????
Please... tell me if I should buy an old little Vespa scooter... yes, those ones you can use a skirt with...

Seriously, since the first time I full loaded my bike, I felt using the footpeg like getting on a horse, was the most basic way to go (even though months later I added the side stand).
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #1540
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Am I the only rider who steps onto the left footpeg to get on and off the bike when it's full loaded??? Am I dishonoring our dirt rider's breed? AM I TOO GIRLY TO BE PART OF ADVRIDER????
Please... tell me if I should buy an old little Vespa scooter... yes, those ones you can use a skirt with...

Seriously, since the first time I full loaded my bike, I felt using the footpeg like getting on a horse, was the most basic way to go (even though months later I added the side stand).
You are not alone, I do it the same way.. it seems my legs were shipped from the factory about 2" shorter than my 640's were designed for. (Loaded or Unloaded, it is way ez'r)
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #1541
Lance R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post

AMEN,
I just got mine on yesterday and i love it. I'll seal the hole asap - good advice.
I decided i had to have one as i had been getting on the bike while it was on the centerstand and then rocking it off forward. I was doing this in public the other day and a guy pulled up and asked "where do you put the quarters?".
97 KTM RXCe 620
Living well is the best revenge!!

Lance R screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 07:05 AM
Lance R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #1542
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by frdbronco8 View Post
Creeper’s Valve Inspection
Creeper's Finding TDC-C

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #1543
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post

That's fine, I just haven't figured out how to put the bike on the centerstand before I get off. Getting on is not the problem.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:12 AM   #1544
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
That's fine, I just haven't figured out how to put the bike on the centerstand before I get off. Getting on is not the problem.
Ouch... yes! I was there too... sorry I forgot about it. Anyway, as you saw, I felt funny today... and your post gave me the space...

Do you remenber when we were kids, and we get off our bikes (a.k.a. bicycles) while still in motion? ok, I did that everytime I didn't find a
rock/slope/trunk/log where to step on... but I recognize it's not always comfortable. That's why I added the side stand as our inmate skibum has adviced.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #1545
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356
Use your kick start lever to lift up on the bike when putting it on the center stand. Makes a perfect handle.

Laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote