User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #1651
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
oil glass leak

Can someone help point me in direction to the thread that address this? It's the glass on the right side of the bike. Not even sure what it's for really. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing ppl talk about this somewhere but I can't find it anywhere. It's not really even a leak, but a slight oil moisture around it has developed. Thanks!
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #1652
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepikespeak.com View Post
Can someone help point me in direction to the thread that address this? It's the glass on the right side of the bike. Not even sure what it's for really. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing ppl talk about this somewhere but I can't find it anywhere. It's not really even a leak, but a slight oil moisture around it has developed. Thanks!
It's the TDC viewport. It's resealing is discussed in the LC4 Index Thread...
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #1653
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
What can I say, I'm sucker for punishment.
Masochism - its not for everyone.

"good spark" meaning you can see it or ? Just wondering if trimming and reconnecting the spark plug boot might help. A fresh battery (or testing the old one) could be useful too, but with the charger on "start" well maybe not.

She won't turn over w/out the manual decomp lever - that interresting... maybe a weak starter motor? I don't recall you saying how the kicker worked for ya.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 07-25-2011 at 10:52 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #1654
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
So when it DOES start, are you pulling the decomp lever and opening the throttle at all ? ..or none ?

IOW: What are you doing to (eventually) make it start ? (i.e choke setting, throttle position etc.)
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #1655
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Masochism - its not for everyone.
I guess somehow I need to pay for the many hours I did NOT Need to work on my GS's

Quote:
"good spark" meaning you can see it or ?
Yes I can see the spark when the plug is out of the engine and I do the usual test next to the block.

Quote:
Just wondering if trimming and reconnecting the spark plug boot might help.
the Boot and/or the cable....??

Quote:
A fresh battery (or testing the old one) could be useful too, but with the charger on "start" well maybe not.
I just got a new PC310 and is fully charge, Even then I can only get the engine going fast enoght (Maybe does not need to spin that fast) by using the added help of the charger on "Starter mode"

Quote:
She won't turn over w/out the manual decomp lever - that interresting... maybe a weak starter motor?
Sorry I was not clear enoght, The engine does turn over when the Decomp is NOT use but is kind of slow even with a brand new battery fully charge.

Quote:
I don't recall you saying how the kicker worked for ya.
Oh it work fine (The movement that is) but is no way I hell I can start the bike with it.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #1656
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
So you have a big long downhill you take your bike to with trailer or something.

Then roll down and try to start... the longer the better you'll get more chances :-)... like twin peaks you know.

if the bike hasn't run in a while, did you take the carb out and clean everything? Probably all gunk up in there.

Quote:
I guess somehow I need to pay for the many hours I did NOT Need to work on my GS's

Yes I can see the spark when the plug is out of the engine and I do the usual test next to the block.

the Boot and/or the cable....??

I just got a new PC310 and is fully charge, Even then I can only get the engine going fast enoght (Maybe does not need to spin that fast) by using the added help of the charger on "Starter mode"

Sorry I was not clear enoght, The engine does turn over when the Decomp is NOT use but is kind of slow even with a brand new battery fully charge.

Oh it work fine (The movement that is) but is no way I hell I can start the bike with it.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #1657
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Tarded View Post
So when it DOES start, are you pulling the decomp lever and opening the throttle at all ? ..or none ?
70% of the time the bike start I'm using the Decomp lever to get the engine going.

Quote:
IOW: What are you doing to (eventually) make it start ? (i.e choke setting, throttle position etc.)
I try Choke on/half/off Throttle on/tiny/off but is to random to relay on it, sometimes she will start right up (half choke) and then will not start again in 30 trys.

I'm going to check the valve's again and see if I made a mistake when I set them up the last time and go from there.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #1658
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
So you have a big long downhill you take your bike to with trailer or something.

Then roll down and try to start... the longer the better you'll get more chances :-)... like twin peaks you know.
I do live on top of a hill but I don't have a hitch ramp or a trailer to bring her up again, In fact I have try the push start method but never got her going that way (my GS will start in 20feet).

Quote:
if the bike hasn't run in a while, did you take the carb out and clean everything? Probably all gunk up in there.
The carb was really clean, Better than I spect it, Maybe I just need to start from ground zero and change the settings on the carb back to stock and go from there, This whole thing is driving me crazy.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #1659
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
You still got the BST in there not the FCR correct?

FCR can be a pain when you leave the bike parked for a while.

Quote:
I do live on top of a hill but I don't have a hitch ramp or a trailer to bring her up again, In fact I have try the push start method but never got her going that way (my GS will start in 20feet).

The carb was really clean, Better than I spect it, Maybe I just need to start from ground zero and change the settings on the carb back to stock and go from there, This whole thing is driving me crazy.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #1660
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Ricardo, your bike troubles sound somehow similar to what I experienced this spring.

These posts summarize the issue quite well:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=243
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=249
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=256

So, essentially, it was the sprague clutch that was causing the troubles. Perhaps something to consider/check as well, if no other obvious faults are to be found... (There is a great writeup on fixing the starter sprague clutch here.)

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #1661
bikepikespeak.com
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
It's the TDC viewport. It's resealing is discussed in the LC4 Index Thread...
Thanks for letting me know what it's called. I tried typing in TDC in my word finder in my computer on the first page of the index and couldn't find it. I've tried a bunch of other keywords that I thought originally and still nothing. Any more direction?
bikepikespeak.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #1662
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,332
Quote:
It’s a long shot, but...
Had a twin cylinder bike that quit on one cylinder. Good strong spark from the plug. Suspected the F.I. Lots of hassle later I changed the plug.
Ran fine.
I guess the spark just wasn’t good enough when under compression.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #1663
CBR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
How many links LC4 640E

Struggling to find the right info.
Chain and sprocket replacment time.

I currently have a 16/45 setup on the 2004 model 640 Enduro.
I would like to be able to switch between a 15/16/17 front sprockets and keep the 45 rear.

The thing is I am not sure how many links to leve in the chain. I have a 120 link ready to go . Any ideas?

If left to my own devices i will always stuff it up..hahaha

thanks
CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #1664
DiabolicalR1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Where to buy springs for 640 Adv

Any suggestions on who to talk to about getting some springs for a 2006 640 Adv?
DiabolicalR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #1665
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR View Post
Struggling to find the right info.
Chain and sprocket replacment time.

I currently have a 16/45 setup on the 2004 model 640 Enduro.
I would like to be able to switch between a 15/16/17 front sprockets and keep the 45 rear.

The thing is I am not sure how many links to leve in the chain. I have a 120 link ready to go . Any ideas?

If left to my own devices i will always stuff it up..hahaha

thanks
On my 99 LC4 I have 118 link with 16/45 and it looks like the 17 won't work, no more adjustment left.
I would try the the 120 and work my way down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote