User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #181
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,442
Hey thanks MEAT

Im killing some time right & going over the index, unbelievable, thanks for your time & patients. I owe ya some COLD ones.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #182
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC

"LC4 Index dumped into JoMomma"

Now there's a headline....
Err isn't that like chucking the baby out with the bathwater?

PS baby eventually turns into hulking great bloke.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #183
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Err isn't that like chucking the baby out with the bathwater?

PS baby eventually turns into hulking great bloke.
Yeah, the hulk needs a good bath. Clean up is high on the priorities, along with new additions.

Thanks for the compliments folks!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #184
txrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
I couldn't find a thread listed in the index about the low octane wire for the LC4, did I miss it? Trying to find out if my '04 SXC has such a thing too.

Couldn't find a piccy of the offending wire loop or whatever with searches other than a guy who hacked a newer ignition into an older bike.
txrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #185
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by txrider
I couldn't find a thread listed in the index about the low octane wire for the LC4, did I miss it? Trying to find out if my '04 SXC has such a thing too.

Couldn't find a piccy of the offending wire loop or whatever with searches other than a guy who hacked a newer ignition into an older bike.
I think you are looking for:
CountPacMan's (hopefully) Definitive CDI Guide -
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...48&postcount=9
Not sure if the SXC has the switchable CDI; I would expect it if for no other reason than part redundancy makes life simpler for KTM.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:17 AM   #186
m640b
n00b

Oddometer: 3
unreasonable vibration in adventure 640 2006

Hello . I just bought ktm adventure 640 model 2006 , and I'm feeling a very strong vibration.
I had before another to ktm's 640 lc4 model 1998 & 2002 so I know that it isn't have to be strong vibration at all.
Is somone know something about the vibration at this model?
Does anyone heard about this unreasonable vibration of this 2006 model, it is normal at this model,or maybe I have a serious problem with my ktm?
The vibration in my bike are so strong, that I can't feel my arm after 20 minute , and I see the trafick in front of me unclear.
Thanks for anyone who's can help me.
m640b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #187
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Wicked

My cats breath smells like cat food

Quote:
Originally Posted by m640b
Hello . I just bought ktm adventure 640 model 2006 , and I'm feeling a very strong vibration.
I had before another to ktm's 640 lc4 model 1998 & 2002 so I know that it isn't have to be strong vibration at all.
Does anyone heard about this unreasonable vibration of this 2006 model, it is normal at this model,or maybe I have a serious problem with my ktm?
The vibration in my bike are so strong, that I can't feel my arm after 20 minute , and I see the trafick in front of me unclear.

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #188
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Hi m640b,

There are quite a few questions that La Familia will have to ask you before we can help. Why not start your own thread? Not everyone who can help will find your post here. In fact many who are good with the LC4 probably rarely come in here...

So start your own thread with this topic, titled something like "new 2006 KTM 640 Adventure strong vibrations!"

And then add some additional information, such as when you bought it, where (who set it up), and have there been any modifications to date. It is possible that the setup shop mistuned the engine, or perhaps it needs some fine tuning and break in, or (very unlikely) there is a problem. But you are correct a new LC4 shouldn't vibrate any more than your old one. In fact, since they put a second counterbalancer on in 2003 it should be smoother in the highway cruising range (my understanding of its function).

That help?

Old 04-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #189
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
They vibrate less with a couple of thousand miles on them, even less with a freer flowing exhaust and less again after jetting, when new and in standard trim the vibrate like a crack ho with money for batteries.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:09 PM   #190
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
So many possibilities... so little time.

Vibration is first of all, subjective. What is a bad vibration to you may be nothing more than "character" to someone else.
Also, we have no idea what your physical condition or stature is. You may have arms like a 10 year old girl, and any vibration would be objectionable.

Assuming your bike vibrates abnormally, so much so that anyone would consider it an issue, there are many possible avenues you can take to reduce it.

* Take it to the dealer and have someone there experienced with LC4s ride it and offer their opinion. If they say it vibrates too much... then the dealer can deal with it. It's a rare thing, but there may be a problem you cannot fix easily yourself.

* Assuming it's "normal" and not an engine that had the counter-balance left out of it , there are many things you can do to reduce the vibration.

* LC4 engines, as Buckster indicated, benefit from miles and jetting. Vibrations at 2,000 miles of engine use are roughly half of what they are at 500 miles.

* LC4s are jetted a little lean from the factory. You can richen some of the circuits and fine tune the idle speed and mixture to reduce vibration. An LC4 vibrates less with a high hot idle speed... between 1600-1700 is the most common and preferable.

* Check all the engine mount fasteners and torque them if necessary to the correct specification. In fact, check all the major fasteners on both the engine and chassis... there is no guarantee that the individuals that assembled the bike, or the one that set it up did it right.
A good example of fasteners affecting vibration levels is that if only a few exhaust header/collector bolts are loose... "felt" vibration can increase dramatically in frequency and even amplitude.

*Check chain tension, as too tight or too loose a chain can cause a vibration.

*Check the torque value on the handlebar riser thru bolts. The bars are rubber mounted and if the bolts are over or under-torqued, excessive vibration can be transmitted.

*The stock OEM KTM handgrips suck... they suck universally. Replace them with something more comfortable.

These are just a few things to check... but you get the idea.

Best of luck m640b,
C
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #191
m640b
n00b

2006 adventure 640 engine is different than the 2002 year?

Hi. my new adventure 640 2006 model feel no so strong as the 2002 model.
Is it because thay change the engine, or maybe it because the new euro 3 standard?
How I can make the engine stronger?
Old 04-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #192
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Hi. my new adventure 640 2006 model feel no so strong as the 2002 model.
Is it because thay change the engine, or maybe it because the new euro 3 standard?
How I can make the engine stronger?
Click HERE.

Once you have gone thru those threads please ask us for clarification.

By the way, where are you from?

Old 04-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #193
m640b
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Click HERE.

Once you have gone thru those threads please ask us for clarification.

By the way, where are you from?
I am from Israel
Old 04-17-2006, 12:49 PM   #194
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
I am from Israel
Well, when you are ready let us know how the advice worked out. and like I said before, you can start your own thread for more exposure to the masses.

There is plenty of information in the index to get you started on a number of things - including tuning your bike properly (fixing setup problems), if that is indeed the problem. Did you find those threads?

Old 05-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #195
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

An update!?!

Yup, I finally threw it together...

Still I am not happy with Part Deux (I think it needs organization on par with Part One), but that is less important than the obvious need of many important recent threads.

I hope this helps.