Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #2251
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Could be Tom, but regular old Magura Blood is regular old Mineral Oil with a red tint. You can get Mineral Oil at the drug store usually on the bottom shelf mixed in with the "I can't Poop but I really need to Poop" products.

Dirty
I think you're right about that. There are several alternatives to the magura stuff though- ATF, hydraulic oil, and shock/fork oil are the ones I can think of. I usually use a lightweight shock oil, works well. I've heard that drugstore mineral oil can make the clutch feel a bit heavier because of the viscosity. . . . . that could be a good or bad thing.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #2252
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
RPM question?

My bike dosnt have a tach. I have stock gearing and stock size tires. Anyone with a tach that can tell me how many rpm's are redline? and what rpm are you at in 5th doin 70? thx in advance.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #2253
dolphins13
orange rules

Oh ya it's a 99 640lc4e. thx
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #2254
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
My bike dosnt have a tach. I have stock gearing and stock size tires. Anyone with a tach that can tell me how many rpm's are redline? and what rpm are you at in 5th doin 70? thx in advance.
Gearing is crucial!
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #2255
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
here ya go. everything you need.

LINK

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #2256
dolphins13
orange rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
here ya go. everything you need.

LINK

laramie

Thx Laramie, as you said everything I needed.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #2257
Fener6
The Container Man

Oddometer: 264
I flushed and refilled the coolant yesterday. After the bike got started I noticed this brown foam coming from the breather hose near the airbox.

I've read about the milky oil issue, but I checked the oil and it was fine. Maybe I put too much coolant or have too much oil?

Bike starts up fine each time, idles fine, no smoke out the back.

New water pump needed? Or is the issue human error?

If not on my bike, you can find me managing Steel Containers For Sale and Bahamas Fishing Charters
Fener6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #2258
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fener6 View Post
I flushed and refilled the coolant yesterday. After the bike got started I noticed this brown foam coming from the breather hose near the airbox.

I've read about the milky oil issue, but I checked the oil and it was fine. Maybe I put too much coolant or have too much oil?

Bike starts up fine each time, idles fine, no smoke out the back.

New water pump needed? Or is the issue human error?

I've never seen that much foam come through the vent tube... I would recommend you pull the valve cover and inspect the water pump as it is likely leaking like a sieve... Is there any issues with engine power? Some coolants will cause excessive foaming if used in the LC 4 and that is likely what is going on in your case, but normally it would just foam out the rad vent and not leak into the engine..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #2259
Fener6
The Container Man

No issues with engine power. The foaming does stop. At that point I can see gas/exhaust fumes, but I'm not sure if that's normal because I've never even noticed that tube until this.

If not on my bike, you can find me managing Steel Containers For Sale and Bahamas Fishing Charters
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #2260
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,899
That tube is supposed to attach to the front of the airbox... It is an overflow vent for the engine breather system... What happens is crap gets vented up the rocker cover vent port and into the backbone, the fluids will drip back into the engine via the rear vent down by the kickstarter... Gases go back to the airbox to be reburned through the intake... If your engine has too much base pressure either from higher oil level or piston ring blow by then liquids will end up overflowing into the airbox out that backbone vent tube...

What kind of coolant did you use, is it high in silica?

In your case I think with the engine breather being right next to the waterpump your pump leakage is going right up the vent tube... I suspect your pump may of being leaking for a while and maybe a foaming coolant has made it more traceable..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #2261
Fener6
The Container Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
That tube is supposed to attach to the front of the airbox... It is an overflow vent for the engine breather system... What happens is crap gets vented up the rocker cover vent port and into the backbone, the fluids will drip back into the engine via the rear vent down by the kickstarter... Gases go back to the airbox to be reburned through the intake... If your engine has too much base pressure either from higher oil level or piston ring blow by then liquids will end up overflowing into the airbox out that backbone vent tube...

What kind of coolant did you use, is it high in silica?

In your case I think with the engine breather being right next to the waterpump your pump leakage is going right up the vent tube... I suspect your pump may of being leaking for a while and maybe a foaming coolant has made it more traceable..
Thanks for the detailed info. I think I'll do a oil and coolant change first. Making sure I measure them out correctly. If the problem persists ill tackle the pump.

I briefly read about running diesel fuel through some part of the system. Should i look into that and try it out?

Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #2262
Ol'Muley
old, not dead

Oddometer: 82
waterpump

Coolant can not get into the engine unless there is an internal leak such as a bad waterpump!
Ol'Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #2263
Fener6
The Container Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Muley View Post
Coolant can not get into the engine unless there is an internal leak such as a bad waterpump!
Wouldn't it also be noticeable in the engine oil though?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #2264
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Is that the drain tube from the bottom of the air box? If so, check your oil. I had something similar looking come out once when I had a carburetor failure over night which dumped gas past the intake and rings, into the crank case to mix with the oil.

Confirm which hose that is coming out of and smell the foam. Does it smell like oil and gas mixed together?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #2265
Fener6
The Container Man

I was gonna adjust the valves, so while I'm doing that I might as well check the water pump.