Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #2581
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Things are as follows :
I've never taken a carb apart, the most "difficult" task I undertook was changing the rocker roller bearings after the inlet one seized, damaging the camshaft. It took me longer than expected, but I enjoyed doing it and I learned a lot of things doing it. After 5000 kms. the engine keeps running, so I'd say what I did was more or less right.
I'm not so sure about the carb, though. I'm pretty sure I might be able to take it off the bike and even dismantling it, but re-assembly is another issue, my lack of experience can cause a lot of trouble.
On one hand I'd love to learn how to do it - and at 40000 kms. - it is not a bad idea taking a look inside the carb, but on the other hand I'm more or less worried I could damage or lose that little spring, o-ring or whatever small piece that later on would mean it won't work.
So that's how things are. Shall I take the plunge or should I leave it for an expert to do it? "To be or not to be, that is the question", someone said,
Good advice, Daryl, Laramie - I wouldn't even think of taking the carb apart if it wasn't for your bible - Enduro, Dirty Sánchez. and Lortdadu. Daryl, I'll keep your "trick" in mind in case I'm far and away and I don't have a nearby internet access to cry out for help.
Cheers!
Has your carb ever been serviced in the 40,000 km ? If not you are likely looking at some worn out parts within the carb... I would think that your slide, slide guide, needle jet {emulsion tube} and jet needle will show some advanced wear... If this is the case then no amount of tuning will get the bike to run proper until the worn parts are replaced...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #2582
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Has your carb ever been serviced in the 40,000 km ? If not you are likely looking at some worn out parts within the carb... I would think that your slide, slide guide, needle jet {emulsion tube} and jet needle will show some advanced wear... If this is the case then no amount of tuning will get the bike to run proper until the worn parts are replaced...

My slide/and guide@22K

New slide/guide

Needle jet(emulsion tube) @22K

Needle was fine but my drain screw was not.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #2583
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Took the carb off the bike tonight. It wasn't as difficult as I expected, but I'm quite worried about re-assembly; it's quite a tight fit - or so it seemed to me - and I presume it will take more time than taking it off.

I found the inlet boot from the airbox to the carb was "a bit" cracked :

Tomorrow I'll open the carb to take a look inside and see what I find.

I don't know if the carb has ever been serviced, so it's well worth taking a thorough look at it.
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #2584
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally couldn't wait.

No impact or drill to remove the bottom Philips screws here with me, so it'll be tomorrow knowing what size the jets are and how's the float, weight and o-ring.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #2585
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,721
Quote:

I found the inlet boot from the airbox to the carb was "a bit" cracked :

That explains alot of the lean symptoms,if sucking air.

Can't tell for sure from that picture but I'd bet your slide guide is worn.

enduro0125 screwed with this post 04-12-2012 at 05:19 PM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #2586
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,617
Make sure you have a filter on the air intake on the top of the carb
Sometime bike with the smog stuff removed have this left open. Bad idea
Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #2587
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
I finally couldn't wait.

No impact or drill to remove the bottom Philips screws here with me, so it'll be tomorrow knowing what size the jets are and how's the float, weight and o-ring.
You will likely get the screws to come loose with a regular screwdriver, if not a set of needle nose vise grips will grab the screw heads for the 1/4 turn it requires to break them free...
The airbox manifold does look bad and will for sure need to be replaced, in a pinch you can patch it up with a urethane bonding agent such as aquaseal... This stuff is designed to repair waders and wetsuits but works fantastic for motorcycle botch fixes..
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #2588
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 207
By the looks of the top of your carb, it's about time you clean that thing!

If you have a compressor, you should clean all jets and ports inside the carb with pressured air. That way you can clean the ports effectively.

A few friends of mine have used carburetor cleaner sprays/fluids, personally I've never used them. My carb has never been so dirty that I would need to use such. I've used industrial alcohol to clean the carb with linen cloth and a toothbrush.
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #2589
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
I finally couldn't wait.

Your doing a great job!

Was the inline fuel filter present in the steel line of the carb?

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-13-2012 at 01:58 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #2590
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

After having children, planting trees and writing books, now I'm complete with the experience of disassembly/reassembly of a carburettor.

With the help of a friend we were able to remove the screws left, one of them with a screwdriver, the other with the impact one. Here's the result :
Daryl, it did have the tiny filter in the steel line of the carb. It had about 25% of its surface clogged with tiny small debries. Thanks for making me find it. I was looking for an usual fuel filter, not this type.
Idle jet is 45 (stock, I think), main 152.5 and the needle is at the 3rd clip ( counting from top, two more left ).
The idle jet was a bit dirty too, probably being the cause of the engine stalling from time to time.
I cleaned everything up with air pressure and then with alcohol. I didn't find any remarkable wear in the slide/guide. Lateral play is less than 0.1mm, so nothing to worry about I presume.
One thing, probably not very important, was that when removing the floats, the o-ring was sort of "stuck", and when reassembling I thought it would "fit" or make a click to enter a predetermined space. It didn't make that click as I was expecting. Maybe the o-ring was stuck and that caused I had to pull - lightly - the float to remove it.
I guess this is just held by the screws of the float cover, if I'm not wrong.

I'll wait for the inlet boot airbox/carb for reassembly. Will see if it works fine again.
Probably the engine was running lean due to the fuel filter and idle jet being quite dirty. A new plug will tell.

Anyhow, I've learned a lot thanks to you and now I can - with a fair bit of spare time ahead - understand the bike a bit more. Cheers for that.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:24 AM   #2591
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Daryl, it did have the tiny filter in the steel line of the carb. It had about 25% of its surface clogged with tiny small debries. Thanks for making me find it. I was looking for an usual fuel filter, not this type.
Good job!

Your well on your way.

The filter is easy to overlook. It does its job well.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 02:30 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #2592
djchan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Waterpump revival

I'm presently reassembling my 2002 LC4e as it's been in boxes for 3-4 years. I've been riding smokers and RFS bikes over that period. Now the big-boned girl is coming out of mothballs due to the sale of the RFS.

I noticed the o-ring seals on the waterpump are dried out from all that sitting. I'm also unable to find the waterpump rebuild kit I bought 3 years ago for the occasion. To add insult to injury - it looks like the rebuild kits are all sold out for this model.

Question - can I pull the o-rings, clean and revitalize, then reinstall?

Are these o-rings (large diameter, small thickness) available at an auto parts store?

Is it wise to reuse the other original parts, impeller and such, or should I look for a total rebuild before reassembly?

Don't really want coolant perking into my oil.

ps - wish the LC4 had the RFS system with a weep hole on the side

Occupying the stable - 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2002 KTM LC4E, and a 2007 KLX250S.
djchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #2593
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan View Post
I'm presently reassembling my 2002 LC4e as it's been in boxes for 3-4 years. I've been riding smokers and RFS bikes over that period. Now the big-boned girl is coming out of mothballs due to the sale of the RFS.

I noticed the o-ring seals on the waterpump are dried out from all that sitting. I'm also unable to find the waterpump rebuild kit I bought 3 years ago for the occasion. To add insult to injury - it looks like the rebuild kits are all sold out for this model.

Question - can I pull the o-rings, clean and revitalize, then reinstall?

Are these o-rings (large diameter, small thickness) available at an auto parts store?

Is it wise to reuse the other original parts, impeller and such, or should I look for a total rebuild before reassembly?

Don't really want coolant perking into my oil.

ps - wish the LC4 had the RFS system with a weep hole on the side
With the way the pump has been sitting idle for a long time I would replace anything to do with rubber within the pump, this would be the: double lip seal, the 2 bearings and the o-rings... If the pump shaft is not grooved then it will be reusable... Also look at replacing the paper gasket as well...

The Bearings{6001 2rsr c3} used in the pump are a common item and available through a bearing shop... These bearings are also used in electric motors and I was able to buy a 10 pack for under $15 by shopping around...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #2594
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
wasn't there a Creeper valve check thread? I can't find it....anyone?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #2595
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
wasn't there a Creeper valve check thread? I can't find it....anyone?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55445

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote