Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #2626
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
Same tactic, except that I take a small screwdriver and I carefully wedge the air box boot (don't poke the boot nor attempt to push it in place with ape rage! you'll only break the boot this way) onto the carb while pushing the carb to its correct position. This allows the boot to slide over the carb intake spot.
I used a screwdriver too,but didn't want to be responsible for poking holes in the boot.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #2627
Lortdadu
Joe Cool

Oddometer: 210
Now might be a good time then to say: "I take no responsibility if you use a screwdriver."
Lortdadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #2628
axehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Does everyone else drop (rotate) the subframe by removing the top two bolts and the pipe?

Even though it is more bolts it makes things quicker for me....
axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #2629
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lortdadu View Post
Now might be a good time then to say: "I take no responsibility if you use a screwdriver."
What if I use an ice pick?

It finally got in. Not with the ice pick but with the short screwdriver you mentioned before. Now we'll see how the rest of the reassembly goes. It shouldn't be that difficult now I'm graduated in airbox boots.

Cheers for the advice.
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #2630
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

This is turning into a never ending story. The carb drops fuel as soon as I open the petcock. It comes from this little tube under the float cover. I noticed I had forgotten to connect that little tube - looks like a ventilation one, quite small size -, but after I connected it instead of dropping fuel on the engine it did on the floor.
Please don't tell me I have to remove the carb again ...
Old 04-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #2631
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
This is turning into a never ending story. The carb drops fuel as soon as I open the petcock. It comes from this little tube under the float cover. I noticed I had forgotten to connect that little tube - looks like a ventilation one, quite small size -, but after I connected it instead of dropping fuel on the engine it did on the floor.
Please don't tell me I have to remove the carb again ...
You don't, you can take off the float bowl while the carb is on the bike.

But first, is your fuel drain screw in and functioning? It sounds like the gas is flowing right out of the bowl drain that is there in case you need to drain out some bad gas. Should be a phillips head screw that screws in there to shut off the drain.

Sorry if I missed something obvious, haven't been following this problem.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #2632
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Cheers, Zak.
I removed the drain screw, put it back again and now it seems it works.
However, continueing with the never ending story ... could someone post a picture - I've done a search and didn't find any - of the stock fuse box and the fuse order/amp?
When twisting the ignition key nothing happened, and as the battery is ok and I didn't remember removing any other plug than the right hand side "tps" plug I imagine I have twisted the fuses position. According to KTM it only takes two ¿?, a 20 and a 10amp ?

Old 04-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #2633
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
Cheers, Zak.
However, continueing with the never ending story ... could someone post a picture - I've done a search and didn't find any - of the stock fuse box and the fuse order/amp?

My friendly suggestion to you is to spend some time reading the owner's manual with thought.

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #2634
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post

My friendly suggestion to you is to spend some time reading the owner's manual with thought.

Cheers,

Tseta

You're very right indeed. Cheers!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #2635
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb The engine runs again

Yahoo!
It started at the first touch of the button. Someone had removed all the fuses ... and it wasn't me, therefore the question.Yep, I should have taken a more thourough look at the owner's manual.

Now turn to valve lash inspection. Luckily this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55445 exists.
For those newbies like me, I attemped checking the valve clearance 4k kms. ago ... and when I had all reassembled the engine made a terrible noise. My mistake was I didn't notice - worse, I didn't know - I had to wait until the auto - decompressor made "clack". So back to the beggining.

Disregard the auto de-compressor “clack”… it won’t hurt you. , as someone " a bit " more experienced adviced years ago. So make sure you hear that clack, you'll save a lot of time and angriness.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #2636
GSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
I am losing my mind, can someone please confirm that the capacitor bolts to the little round bumper that the tank slides onto oriented to the front of the bike?

Here ya go.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #2637
DirtShort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Choke Cable Lever Relocation

Hello guys!
I'm in the process of modifying my 2000 640adv-r cockpit and navigation apparel, and was thinking of replacing the handlebar switches (left and right side) by the EXC type ones, copying what JayBo1 did on his 2007 adv, if I'm not mistaken... (thanks JayBo1)!
my problem is that on the 2000 model, the choke lever is part of the switch/lights/horn block, and if I removed it, I loose the support for it! Does anyone had done something similar, or have some idea how to solve this?
Thanks!
DirtShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #2638
axehead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Do you use the choke much? You could replace the whole cable set up with a 'red knob' like on a Keihin FCR Pumper carb. They seem to use the same 12mm plastic shitty nut.

axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:28 AM   #2639
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShort View Post
Hello guys!
I'm in the process of modifying my 2000 640adv-r cockpit and navigation apparel, and was thinking of replacing the handlebar switches (left and right side) by the EXC type ones, copying what JayBo1 did on his 2007 adv, if I'm not mistaken... (thanks JayBo1)!
my problem is that on the 2000 model, the choke lever is part of the switch/lights/horn block, and if I removed it, I loose the support for it! Does anyone had done something similar, or have some idea how to solve this?
Thanks!
Something like this perhaps?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2396
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #2640
DirtShort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
I though of that ones, since I've owned a 400 LC4, that had that cable system. I just don't know if the access is ok because of the fuel tank size! Have to check!
DirtShort is offline   Reply With Quote