ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #2791
willembron
n00b
 
willembron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Burkina Faso - West Africa
Oddometer: 8
pics of overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by willembron View Post
Ok... finally some info on the failure and the overhaul... broken intake rocker arm bearing and as such distribution chain. As engine was open I changed many things likes valves, piston rings, etc. Invested serious money but what else!!

She drives like a baby again! Thank to all for advice and thinking along. Will share some pics later.

Ciao, Willem
as promised the overhaul pictures @ https://picasaweb.google.com/bronjac...tributionChain

Have fun!

Willem
__________________
-------------------------------
Willem Bron
living in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
driving a KTM 640 Adventure from 2005
+ Yamaha WR450F from 2003
willembron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #2792
MNCherryinCA
KTM Noob
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Oddometer: 577
Thumb

Are these the original parts you cleaned? They look like brand new parts! Nice work!
MNCherryinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM   #2793
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 1,257
Hi all Looking for help.

Out riding yesterday and I turned the key off. When I went to restart I had nothing. No dash lights, no starter nothing. Pulled the seat off and discovered that the fuse holder had melted all around the main 20 amp fuse. Surprisingly the fuse itself was fine. Had to be towed about 30klms to a piont where my wife could come and pick me up.

Just looking at the ktm parts list and the fuse holder is only available as part of the wiring harness.


Looks like I am going to have to shell out for a new harness, but I am concerned It may have done some other damge. CDI etc. Do you think this is possible.


Bike has done 60000 klm , Electrics arnt my strong point, so all advice or info appreciated.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #2794
axehead
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai, Fek its hot
Oddometer: 48
Hi Mcguyver,

As far as I know the wiring loom is discontinued. Please let me know if you have info to the contrary.

If you get really stuck I could chop up my 'spare' one, but prefer not to.
axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #2795
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 3,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Hi all Looking for help.

Out riding yesterday and I turned the key off. When I went to restart I had nothing. No dash lights, no starter nothing. Pulled the seat off and discovered that the fuse holder had melted all around the main 20 amp fuse. Surprisingly the fuse itself was fine. Had to be towed about 30klms to a piont where my wife could come and pick me up.

Just looking at the ktm parts list and the fuse holder is only available as part of the wiring harness.


Looks like I am going to have to shell out for a new harness, but I am concerned It may have done some other damge. CDI etc. Do you think this is possible.


Bike has done 60000 klm , Electrics arnt my strong point, so all advice or info appreciated.
It's not hard to get a fuse holder (most electronics store, auto parts store, internet), I'd have a go at replacing the damaged wire and the fuse holder. That wire that the main fuse was on always seemed a bit thin to me, for a 20 amp fuse it should be 12 guage, wouldn't hurt to go 10.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #2796
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by axehead View Post
Hi Mcguyver,

As far as I know the wiring loom is discontinued. Please let me know if you have info to the contrary.

If you get really stuck I could chop up my 'spare' one, but prefer not to.
Oh great just what I needed to hear. Don't suppose you would consider selling yours?
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #2797
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
It's not hard to get a fuse holder (most electronics store, auto parts store, internet), I'd have a go at replacing the damaged wire and the fuse holder. That wire that the main fuse was on always seemed a bit thin to me, for a 20 amp fuse it should be 12 guage, wouldn't hurt to go 10.
Thanks slackmeyer. That may be my only option.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #2798
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 1,257
Just found out the loom is special order from Austria. Will take 6 weeks.

Looks like its plan b, whatever that is.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #2799
axehead
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai, Fek its hot
Oddometer: 48
Dunno if whitworth are in brisvegas or not, but here is the melb link:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

Just buy something small and do a cut and shut.
axehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #2800
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcguyver's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: BRISBANE AUSTRALIA
Oddometer: 1,257
Thanks axe head. I think that's what I will do.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #2801
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 13,642
Anyone else have their bike run with the fuel tap shut off?
(I mean the petcock.)

I forgot to turn mine on and the bike ran for at last 100 miles with no problem.
__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #2802
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,200
Hey guys........on a 640 Adventure.........where is the ground strap from the battery bolted to on the frame?

Thanks
Bryan
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #2803
caribooster
Not enough time...
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Langley & Cariboo, BC
Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Hey guys........on a 640 Adventure.........where is the ground strap from the battery bolted to on the frame?

Thanks
Bryan

There is a small gusset with a hole in it just behind the air filter cover on the left side of the bike. The ground strap bolts on there. I have a picture but I can't get it to load.
caribooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #2804
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gerst's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Durango, CO
Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribooster View Post
There is a small gusset with a hole in it just behind the air filter cover on the left side of the bike. The ground strap bolts on there. I have a picture but I can't get it to load.





Hope this helps
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #2805
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Cloverdale
Oddometer: 1,200
Thanks guys! That gave me what I needed.

Cheers
__________________
HP2 Sport, R1200S, R100S, KTM 640 Adventure, KTM 520 EXC/Motard, Yamaha RZ350, Hodaka 125 Wombat
Droptarotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014