Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #2821
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
I'd like the baby Tenere' if Yamaha would bring one stateside.

You'd be disappointed after the Adv....
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #2822
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
You'd be disappointed after the Adv....
Good to know.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #2823
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
You don't get it in the states ???

As Makizca says you would be disappointed after the 640. Very heavy, 180 kg approx. nothing like the power of the 640 and very poor suspension and also uncomfortable.

Looks good though.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #2824
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
You don't get it in the states ???

Looks good though.
No,they only brought over the Super.
I do like the way it looks too.

We just added another 640 to the stable so I should be good for a few more years.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #2825
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
I think someone said that of "love makes us blind".
I'm not an experienced offroad rider, neither an onroad one, although I've ridden motorcycles for over 20 years. I've only had my 640 for about 9 months, covering only 9k kms. in that time, and although I've encountered a few problems I've been able to sort them out myself, including a rocker roller bearing change, which to me was some kind of achievement considering my inexistant mechanical ability.
I wouldn't have been able to do it without all the knowledge contained in this awesome thread. Names like Creeper, Meat, Bill, Gunner, Laramie, Tseta, Clint, Dirty and many others who have taken a lot of time and effort sharing what they learned about their 640s. A big thank you to all of you who contributed to make this thread a reference for any LC4 owner.
Back to the 640, I haven't made dream trips - one day! - like those of you who travelled half the world, my longest one was only 2k kms. long, Even though, I think the best of the 640 is the combination of enough power, not too much weight, it's able to carry your luggage and with the adv tank you get quite a long fuel range. It does need maintenance, and although I may be wrong, I feel it's quite reliable. There are several riders having covered over 100.000 kms. without major drama, which is quite a figure for a thumper. Definetly not as reliable as a japanese motorcycle, but to me that's compensated for the emotions I feel every time I ride it. As every other bike, the 640 has pros and cons, but all in all, I think it's a great bike.
I consider myself an experienced rider (last 30 years) and also a senior endurist (last 20 years), so for me, "riding" stands for "offroad", and tar is just one way to get there.
Yeah, we know....
- the 640ADV's seat is not as friendly as sometimes we would like,
- we know about its vibration (yes, it's a thumper!),
- many of us (not my case) have had problems with the subframe when full loaded,
- it's not even close to be a comfortable onroad bike,
- the inspection glass leaks in many bikes of us, etc, etc, etc...
All in all, small well known issues.
But let me tell you guys, I will keep my 640ADV in my life until it start noticing me "man, your butt is too old for me and your body is definitely not following your head... it's ok, go and get a 990". I think we have this glorious bike for a reason, almost all of us exactly know why... just put a set of knobs tyres...

IMHO, it was, is and (if KTM does not release a genuinely replacement) will be THE Adventure Offroad bike forever. I can see that every brand, european and japanese, are slowly taking the Dual Sport market to the onroad space, more and more every year. Today, as Tonicu said, there's no bike with the character and the soul of ours... despite there is a fistful of very other good bikes, no one is close enough to our bike when in its offroad kingdom.

Just saying...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #2826
Alik
viertaKTMotor *****

Oddometer: 248
Hello Mac and others,

Testa just today updated his blog: hydro clutch problems and bleeding front fork made the decision easy but some paper work slows him down back in Tomsk.
I was also surprised that his bike - so well taked care of - made him so many problems. Makes me wonder ;)
Alik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #2827
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
- the 640ADV's seat is not as friendly as sometimes we would like,
- we know about its vibration (yes, it's a thumper!),
- many of us (not my case) have had problems with the subframe when full loaded,
- it's not even close to be a comfortable onroad bike,
I think we have this glorious bike for a reason, almost all of us exactly know why... just put a set of knobs tyres...

it was, is and (if KTM does not release a genuinely replacement) will be THE Adventure Offroad bike forever. I can see that every brand, european and japanese, are slowly taking the Dual Sport market to the onroad space, more and more every year. Today, as Tonicu said, there's no bike with the character and the soul of ours...
Renazco fixes the seat issue
Personally I don't notice the vibes
My subframe was only in 3 pieces by the end of the last 7500 km trip last fall but stayed with me until the end
1000 km days don't bother me
Mine has never let me down, ever, and half of its life has been loaded touring and almost half of that 2up
I love my 640
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #2828
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 548
After finally getting a chance to put a few solid days of trail under my '03 640 Adventure I've realized a couple things. 1: I don't miss my 525 like I thought I would. 2: This bike doesn't bounce off of things like other bikes. Things bounce off of it. 3: I guess I really DON'T need to see my front tire. 4: No bike looks as badass as a 640 covered in dirt. None. 5: I still love my Rekluse. 6: There's no replacement for displacement. This bike just flat out goes. 7: I find myself almost laughing at how good this big old bike just eats up trail junk.

I'm lovin' it...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2829
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Ahhhh... The lure of getting out and riding hundreds of miles at a time. It sounds great. Hookers and all...

Life, work, marriages, kids, bills, houses, divorces, more life, another marriage, bills, houses, work and now I'm looking at retirement. Time to exhale...

The ten year old 00 "E" was found with 210 miles on it and was bought EXACTLY for this plan.

I don't mind riding on the street. Given a preference I'd stay on the dirt. ...and this is one hell of a dirt bike. Yea, okay, it's not my CRFx, but with some additional rider input, it'll do what the CRFx will do. I'm going to try not to have to pick it up as often though !

She's broken-in now (with 3250 miles) and I'm confident in her competence. Even with extensive, life long, riding experience my competence may be questionable loaded down in 10" of mud or in a springtime, golf-ball sized, hail storm but we'll figure that one out when the time comes.

First three-year plan... Spiderweb the western United States. Base camps in N.AZ, N. CA and central Montana.

I'm going to need some friends. Hope you guys are still here in a year or so !
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #2830
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,972
Guys,
When you world tour on a KTM or any motorcycle you carry everything you need for the engine from the base gasket up. You carry cables, hydraulic parts especially brake parts for the caliper and the master cylinder, you carry all the important electrical switches like brake light, front brake, fan,etc. You rebuild the suspension just before you leave and carry the used parts as spares, you carry replacement cam followers and water pump rebuild parts including a shaft and bearings, master links, a piece of chain(and don't run the chain TOO TIGHT!!).

I ran an auto chain oiler and did 20k miles on one chain but it was a special chain. All the brake pads, chain and sprockets were new.

I brought a spare set of tires and shipped them ahead on the train to a distant city where they were intercepted by a Russian biker I met on the internet.

Plus I carried levers, lights, carb rebuild parts, filters,fuses, several spare tubes, an electric air pump and 5 lbs of tools to handle the replacements you have parts for.

In Russia the roads are horrible. Russia is dirt, 2000 miles of dirt from Vladivostok to Lake Bikal. There are no spare parts or tires, absolutely none. That road destroys Japanese motorcycles, their suspension just can't take it.

Plus the handling is poor so the riders crash out, not all but more than some.

I only saw two shocks stand up to Russian roads, WP and Ohliens.

Russia is a very tough ride because of the length and the language.
The alphabet is Cyrilic whick makes understanding signs impossible. A GPS is absolutely necessary for me.

I carried a big lock and full camping and cooking gear.
Every night I covered my bike and tried to bring it into the lobby.

It was difficult to find hotels since they are hidden and often don't advertise in the smaller cities. There were usually prostitutes on the outskirts of town waiting for customers.

They spoke a little english and knew where food and a hotel could be easily found. It was best to give them $5 for their trouble and pay their taxi fare back out to the city limits.

You saved that money anyway because they negotiated the price of a bed for you. The rate was always good. In Russia the food shops are called magazines, they have freshmeats, cheeses and bread.

I spoke two words of Russian.
How else?
bill

For home sickness nothing is better than books in English and music.
For me Dylan and the Drive By Truckers at volume got me over a few humps.

The Stones and Dolly Pardon helped too.
b

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 12:40 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #2831
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,045
Bill, I've gotta vote your posts as most entertaining... Good info too, thanks...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #2832
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
Renazco fixes the seat issue
Personally I don't notice the vibes
My subframe was only in 3 pieces by the end of the last 7500 km trip last fall but stayed with me until the end
1000 km days don't bother me
Mine has never let me down, ever, and half of its life has been loaded touring and almost half of that 2up
I love my 640
Agree 100%, skibum69.
With 50.000Kms on the clock, the one and only time mine said "that's all folks", was in Bolivia but was just a "black" spark plug, because of the lack of oxigene during many riding days over 4.000 masl (which as you know means too much fuel).
Truth to be said... the funny thing was that I have had anticipated this issue when planning the trip, including the correct main jet for those altitudes in my lugagge, but the bike was doing well so I felt lazy and I didn't change it... so this lazy rider had to work anyway, I cleaned the spark plug and that was all.

It's a pleasure to say I can still enjoy this tough beast
Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #2833
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
After finally getting a chance to put a few solid days of trail under my '03 640 Adventure I've realized a couple things. 1: I don't miss my 525 like I thought I would. 2: This bike doesn't bounce off of things like other bikes. Things bounce off of it. 3: I guess I really DON'T need to see my front tire. 4: No bike looks as badass as a 640 covered in dirt. None. 5: I still love my Rekluse. 6: There's no replacement for displacement. This bike just flat out goes. 7: I find myself almost laughing at how good this big old bike just eats up trail junk.

I'm lovin' it...
+1
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #2834
liferider
Never It's enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Guys,
When you world tour on a KTM or any motorcycle [...]

b
Bill, that is a rider spirit writing

Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #2835
Mo-Tarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Bill, I've gotta vote your posts as most entertaining... Good info too, thanks...
I agree... Definitely romantic.

...and the exact reason why I'm only taking a portable soft ice-carrier, a bottle of funky-col-medina, granola bars, tent, tarp, sleeping bag, a week's undies and t-shirts, long underware, jacket, pants, smokes, backpacking fishing pole, a cell phone, charger and credit cards. Oh... and mosquito repellant. .

Maybe if I can follow him I'll be more adventurous. ...until the tools come out. LOL
"Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive." - AntiHero ADV Rider
Mo-Tarded is offline   Reply With Quote