skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #2957
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdemon View Post
Hey all,

Is there an easy way or a wrench one can buy to MORE easily set the pre-load on the rear shock beyond using a longish punch? I hate the thought of removing the rear sub-frame just to do this job and I don't want to booger up the edges of the compression ring(s), but perhaps there is a wrench out there that makes the job easier? Thanks!

Ken

If you use a light tap and ohave someone twist the spring by hand you can usually just turn the spring and get it to turn the collar. With a stock spring this should be pretty easy. With my much stiffer race tech spring I had to do a little swearing but could still get it to twist without messing up the collar.

Good luck,

Laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #2958
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover604 View Post
I was prospecting the other day when a rock with a couple holes caught my eye. I think only a 640 Adventure rider woulda brought it home...
http://
Hey Flash, are you implying we, 640ADV riders, are weird guys..????
Mmmmhh... wait.... Yes we are...
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #2959
mtbdemon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
If you use a light tap and ohave someone twist the spring by hand you can usually just turn the spring and get it to turn the collar. With a stock spring this should be pretty easy. With my much stiffer race tech spring I had to do a little swearing but could still get it to twist without messing up the collar.

Good luck,

Laramie
Good advice!!! Thanks, I remember doing that with my MX bikes years ago which obviously I had forgotten....
2004 KTM 200 EXC
mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #2960
flashover604
tailgunner

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
I was gonna stick with discriminating taste, but.....
Old 07-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #2961
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,017
I resemble that remark
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #2962
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,739
Who?

Us?

Weird?

Yep, and it sure keeps strange people away.

Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #2963
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
! By the standards of most photos of parts on ADV, this is an astoundingly good shot. Clickable photo, pixels, light, focus, a tad of DOF are all simple but most seem to be well beyond most posters at a time when the crappy photos taken on cellphones/mobiles/handys are so popular. Keep up the good work!
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #2964
Thebrassnuckles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I got my stator off eBay finally. Hooked it up and fixed up all the wiring... Well... Mostly fixed. But it all works. I just need to find a keyed switch to replace my ghetto connect these 2 wires for lights.

So I finally got a good ride in on this thing.

One question. When I'm at WOT it starts to kinda pulsate as it accelerating, what would cause that? Some kind of rich or lean condition in the carb? It seemed to only happen at higher rpm and I really only noticed it in 5th gear (most likely because I didn't have another gear to shift into)

Eta pic of bike:
Thebrassnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #2965
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrassnuckles View Post
One question. When I'm at WOT it starts to kinda pulsate as it accelerating, what would cause that? Some kind of rich or lean condition in the carb? It seemed to only happen at higher rpm and I really only noticed it in 5th gear (most likely because I didn't have another gear to shift into)
there are some good threads in the index on carbs where I bet you'll find that kind of info, or have the attention of some folks who know carbs real good - even one who can sell you parts that are not easily found.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #2966
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
! By the standards of most photos of parts on ADV, this is an astoundingly good shot. Clickable photo, pixels, light, focus, a tad of DOF are all simple but most seem to be well beyond most posters at a time when the crappy photos taken on cellphones/mobiles/handys are so popular. Keep up the good work!
Well, thanks for your comments. I wouldn't call it astounding, not even an average picture, but it describes what I intended, which I believe is the most important thing.
As for the starter motor, I happened to find an almost brand new one not too far away, fitted it and it winds the engine much faster than with the old starter. The cold start problems have completely disappeared.
So ... if you haven't checked your starter brushes ... it's worth taking a look.
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #2967
Trailrider58
Oldnlazy

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisWu View Post
No more hints? Anybody? ...... Or maybe I should start a new thread?!?!?
Hope I'm welcome here. I don't own an LC4, just lurking and getting ideas for my next adventure bike project. Spend time on the DR650 thread since that is my DS baby at this time.

But, I've got an old KTM 380 and went through what looks like these same problems. My 2 cents is for you to tear into yours before it gets worse. I too thought mine was normal wear stuff for quite some time but was wrong. The fine shavings on the magnetic plug on mine were indeed from roller bearings disintegrating. I had two that were shot, but the bigger damage was that as they broke down, all the starter gear mechanism began to have play in it. Then as those gears began to wallow around (remember my old 380 is kick start only - no e-start), they eventually broke off gear teeth as well as gear teeth on the backside of the clutch hub.

My problem was easily solved by my own rather meager mechanical skills, but to the tune of about $400. Final spout - I bought all my replacement parts on-line from KTM world out of Georgia. Great folks to do business with, and prices were much better than my local shops.

Hope this is a bit helpful; not an expert by any imagination. Just a dude who has seen these very same pictures from sitting on my own garage floor. Best of luck. I'll be following y'all's forum some since the 640 is in my small universe of DS bikes. For grins, I've done the TN portion of the TAT, and just finished a week in the Ozarks with two buddies. Both states are great for DS riding.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #2968
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebrassnuckles View Post
Well poop.
The stator I bought doesn't fit. If they don't let me return it, would anyone be in need of a high output stator for an LC4? Just a later model than my 94.

pm me with a price !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #2969
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 509
I'm tire shopping this morning so I thought I'd bump this up. Very good info here, thanks gunner.

Has anyone bought a set of the Mitas's in the US yet? I'm curious what the rough cost was for shipping/customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
The Mitas EO- 9 is one of the best all around tires for the 640 and they are now available in the 140/80x 18 size... Out of the more agressive tires I've ran the Mitas had the longest lifespan I had one set go for 8500 km...

Michelin T-63s closely mimic the Mitas {probably same factory} but do not seem to last as long, both times I used them they lasted about 4500KM as to where the Mitas are good for 5000- 6000 KM...

Metzler Karoos are nice, mainly because they are available in the 140 size which seems to suit the 640 better than 130s, the drawback is they don't last that long, the 2 I ran averaged only about 4000 KM...

Dunlop 908- I very much liked this tire for all around use, it did surprisingly on the well on tarmac and gave me about 5500KMs of life... The real drawback is the cost, otherwise I would run them all the time...

Conti TKC 80 Great tire but short lifespan, the 1 of these I ran was totally shot by 4000 KM... Not good when you do the price VS mileage thing...

Maxxis 6006- I ran a few of these and found them to be pretty good all around though a little noisy on tarmac... They averaged about 5000km... I don't think they are available any more with the Maxxis name, now look for CS tire...

Kenda 270 rear A good bang for the buck, a little squirmy on pavement but is something you get used to... Average mileage and not too bad off pavement... If I see one of these on the shelf when I'm tire shopping I'll usually pick it up... 270s up front are scary..

IRC GP 1 A lot like the 270 but better on tarmac...

MT 21 Generally a good tire for the front but seem to wear quickly on the back... I have found that these tires can suffer in the heat... I have seen a new tire on in the morning be destroyed by afternoon from the combo of high temps and choppy roads on a regular dual sport ride...

VRM 147 One of the best bangs for the buck.. It has a tread profile similar to the MT 21 but seems to last a bit longer... Good all around tire and fairly inexpensive at $50- $80...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Old 08-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #2970
Island_Rider
n00bsauce

Oddometer: 28
mm'k...

I've got an e-start question for you guys!

I'm fairly new to the bike, so be patient with me. Factory manual has not yet been obtained so I'm kinda feeling around in the dark.
(Anyone have a good place to get a manual?)

Anyway, electric start. It's failed.
At first it was intermittent. Then it was often. Now it's completely dead. I've cleaned and re-assembled both the starter switch and the kill switch - For a while I could get it to turn over if I toggled the kill switch a few times. Then as it got worse I'd be able to leave my finger pressing the starter, and bring the kill switch from off to on, and have the starter engage.

My thought is that it's not the starter itself. And the bike otherwise runs great - One or two kicks of the kick start are enough. So that would leave electrical gremlins, I think.

What might be a few common failure points in the starting system?
The bike is on a centerstand at the moment, so no sidestand kill switch.

I can also hear a relay fire off when I toggle the kill switch - Seems normal there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Island_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote