Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #3181
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,985
I just brought home a new to me 2002 LC4 Adventure. The PO had broken the speedo pickup cable. I'm going to be getting a new one, but the way he had it mounted it was held on by only one screw and it was mounted way above the rotor bolts. I can't seem to find a photo of how the pickup is supposed to be mounted, anyone have a pic handy?

Thanks

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3182
TexasDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Plastics!!

Does anyone have a good source for plastics for a 2002 640?
TexasDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #3183
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I just brought home a new to me 2002 LC4 Adventure. The PO had broken the speedo pickup cable. I'm going to be getting a new one, but the way he had it mounted it was held on by only one screw and it was mounted way above the rotor bolts. I can't seem to find a photo of how the pickup is supposed to be mounted, anyone have a pic handy?

Thanks
Duh, I see it now. Had read in a few threads that the speedo pickup was reading the bolt heads but there's actually a magnet set in the rotor.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #3184
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Duh, I see it now. Had read in a few threads that the speedo pickup was reading the bolt heads but there's actually a magnet set in the rotor.
Different stuff for different years, presumably. Rotor magnet in my 2003 EXC, bolt heads for 2005 LC4 Adventure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #3185
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvyn View Post
Yeah, be interesting to see responses to this as I love my 640 but in technical sections when I have to slip the clutch a lot my small hands ache!
Go back to the index on page one. There is link to Magura hydraulic clutch threads and that links to a couple of more threads where they discuss different oils. Plus I found some other threads using a Google site search.

I was just reading through them last night because I broke my clutch perch and have to do something. I love hydraulic clutches but just haven't talked myself into dropping $227 on one instead of $40 for a used perch plus a new cable.

So I was reading through everything I could find trying get off the fence about the Magura Jack/Hymec conversion.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #3186
TaxMan

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Go back to the index on page one. There is link to Magura hydraulic clutch threads and that links to a couple of more threads where they discuss different oils. Plus I found some other threads using a Google site search.

I was just reading through them last night because I broke my clutch perch and have to do something. I love hydraulic clutches but just haven't talked myself into dropping $227 on one instead of $40 for a used perch plus a new cable.

So I was reading through everything I could find trying get off the fence about the Magura Jack/Hymec conversion.
Am I misunderstanding something? I don't see how using a different oil in a hydraulic clutch system will change the pull? my understanding is that the idea behind hydraulics is that the oil doesn't compress, regardless of type of oil used. if there is give in the pull, then there is gas/air in the line compressing, not the oil. To change the pull it seems you'd need to change to lighter clutch springs or change the geometry of the lever actuating the clutch in/on the case. i sure could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time this morning!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #3187
hillbilly enduro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

I have already gone through those threads. But no one mentioned whether the lighter oil gave a lighter pull or not. Just that it got more smooth and/or more crisp, if I remember right.

Mine is smooth enough, but I would like a lighter pull. I think I would get that by switching to a smaller diameter master. But I guess, that would affect the distance, the lever should be pulled between the engage/disengage. That might not be an issue, since the distance as it is now, is not that long.
A Quick calculation says, that the 9,5 mm master give about 18% less output (can't express it much better. Help wanted) than the current 10,5 mm. That should equal to 18%
increased lever travel. But all this is just speculation.
I guess there is a reason KTM installed a 10,5 and not a 9,5 on the LC4, and i'm not very willing to just buy a 9,5 and see, since it's kind of expensive... Also I might be more willing, if i rode allot more technical...

It's kind of a mystery to me, why there's so much difference in clutch pull between different bikes. Even between same models (450's, 520's LC4's), not sure if they are same year though... Hope someone somewhere knows something...
hillbilly enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #3188
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
Might be not all clutch springs are created equal. I've heard mixing oils can cause seals to swell causing drag but I think mine requires mineral oil, at least the 950 does.

A ragged edge on the clutch basket ears from the plates would also put friction on them as they move from the grove.

Did you consider an auto clutch?

A longer lever and move the perch in?

I saw a lever lengthened by cutting it near the ball, drilling and dowelling it back together with stiff wire leaving a gap to be filled with JB Weld.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #3189
kelvyn
KTM AdventureR

Oddometer: 28
I think I will just man up with mine - I could do with getting fitter (overall) anyhow!
kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #3190
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,943
Quote:
I think I will just man up with mine - I could do with getting fitter (overall) anyhow!
I hear you, Not saying you, but so meany people I know blame the bike when they can barely hold on just riding a simple trail and need to stop for a break every couple miles.

I know on my 640 I drop from a 17 to a 14 when I get to dual sports then switch back when I leave. It takes away half of the required clutch abuse and makes life much more fun on the trail. If the place is less than 2 hours away, I leave with the 14 and make sure I leave early and stick to back roads

If I ever see a Rekluse or such come up for sale, I may buy one. I rode a 250 with one and it was pretty nice.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #3191
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,254
Quote:
Or just go ride a bike with a cable clutch for a while then then LC4 one will feel heaps lighter

It may be worth having a feel of another LC4 clutch sometime just to make sure yours isn't unduly stiff though.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 PM   #3192
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Have you had a look at these? I love the feel of mine. I can't say that the pull is 50% lighter but on my new to me SXC the stock lever felt much heaver. So I pulled the Midwest Engineering lever off the SMC and it is much nicer.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #3193
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,508
Quote:

Or install a Rekluse. My 625SXC came with one and it is amazing!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #3194
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon6.0 View Post
That sounds like tappet noise from the valve train. There is a bearing up there that goes out. I would look into that.
my cam roller recently failed at somewhere over 35K and the noice was just like loose valves from the extra room the missing needle bearings left. Get into it now, my parts list was $1000 to fix that and the toasted starter clutch
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #3195
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
my cam roller recently failed at somewhere over 35K and the noice was just like loose valves from the extra room the missing needle bearings left. Get into it now, my parts list was $1000 to fix that and the toasted starter clutch
How long did you let it go before digging into it? Was the starter clutch failure caused by the bearing frag, or was that just a coincidence?