Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM   #3271
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Oddometer: 618
Lol. Yep, just need to figure out how without creating a.gr user.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk 2
My translab adventure http://bobandmike10x10.blogspot.com/
BikerBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #3272
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Came across a 2001 LC4E 640 locally for what appears to be a good price for a nice looking bike (upgraded suspension, brakes and new tires etc.). Just wondering what your thoughts are on this bike for a new rider? Although I am a new rider, I am also older at 35 and I am relatively fit and strong, but was wondering if this bike would be too much, especially considering I have a 30 inch inseam. Also, I have read a fair bit of this thread and know what some of the major issues are, but if you could let me know if there is anything specific to look at on the bike, that would be great. I was originally planning on getting a 250 bike to start with, but I wonder if I wouldn't get bored quickly with the 250 for on road duties. Anyway, thanks for any info!!
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #3273
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbobber View Post
Lol. Yep, just need to figure out how without creating a.gr user.

Easy.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534156
Old 10-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3274
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,018
Quote:
I will apologize in advance of I am hijacking the wrong thread butI I've searched to no avail.
I just purchased a 2002 640 SMC with less than 9000k.
How can I make this bike more off road worthy ? I really wanted the adventure but couldn't find one in my price range.
I did see the thread about converting one into an adv but that is not realistic for me.
Will the 17" tires work off road? Can I put the 18 & 21 on it?
Will the suspension be ok or will I need to mod it?
Can I change the tank?
This is my upgrade from my KLR.

Any help is much appreciated!

i have seen a smc converted to a 640e.

ideally, you will need a new front and rear suspension, 21/18 tires and lower gearing.

pm sent.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #3275
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post
Came across a 2001 LC4E 640 locally for what appears to be a good price for a nice looking bike (upgraded suspension, brakes and new tires etc.). Just wondering what your thoughts are on this bike for a new rider? Although I am a new rider, I am also older at 35 and I am relatively fit and strong, but was wondering if this bike would be too much, especially considering I have a 30 inch inseam. Also, I have read a fair bit of this thread and know what some of the major issues are, but if you could let me know if there is anything specific to look at on the bike, that would be great. I was originally planning on getting a 250 bike to start with, but I wonder if I wouldn't get bored quickly with the 250 for on road duties. Anyway, thanks for any info!!
I got my 640A as my first offroad bike when I was 39 and I too have only a 30" inseam. I say giv 'er!
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #3276
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post

If your gonna get a dual sport? You cant go wrong with that bike. Being a new rider (assuming you have really never ridden another bike) you wont truly appreciate how nice your new bike is.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #3277
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
Thanks for the link!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #3278
Falcon Rust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Question:

hi,
just a quick question. does anyone think is a good idea to get an 640 adventure now? a friend of mine says his mate has one,but had to rebuild the engine twice. should i not consider one, better off with a 690, or the new terra?

thank for your help,
FR.
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #3279
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Rust View Post
hi,
just a quick question. does anyone think is a good idea to get an 640 adventure now? a friend of mine says his mate has one,but had to rebuild the engine twice. should i not consider one, better off with a 690, or the new terra?

thank for your help,
FR.
It all depends on what you want the bike to do.... If you want to travel rough ground with luggage go for the 640, if you want to travel rough ground light then the 690... The Terra has more street oriented suspension so rough ground may be a little harder on this machine...

I've heard many a friend of a friend had this happen stories with all brands of bikes so take that with a grain of salt... With the 690 and the Terra you can still buy them new... The 640 will be used so you take your chances on whether the previous owner did the proper maintenance and didn't thrash the thing...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #3280
Falcon Rust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Thanks gunner

Definitely not light loading. But yeas light offloading, since I am not a great offload rider. But it comes down to cost. I always liked the 640,but some friends of friends said they had bad relationships with the bike. Still, they love them. Servicing, maintenance. How do you find it. Is it easy to change the oil on the side of the road on long trips? And the vibes, how bad is bad?

Thanks,
FR
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #3281
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
I will apologize in advance of I am hijacking the wrong thread butI I've searched to no avail.
I just purchased a 2002 640 SMC with less than 9000k.
How can I make this bike more off road worthy ? I really wanted the adventure but couldn't find one in my price range.
I did see the thread about converting one into an adv but that is not realistic for me.
Will the 17" tires work off road? Can I put the 18 & 21 on it?
Will the suspension be ok or will I need to mod it?
Can I change the tank?
This is my upgrade from my KLR.

Any help is much appreciated!

This is an '06 that was done very well. Maybe there is some help for you in there?

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #3282
BikerBobber
Trying to get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
This is an '06 that was done very well. Maybe there is some help for you in there?
Thanks a ton! Exactly what I was looking for!
Bob

Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #3283
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,224
Quote:
hi,

thank for your help,
FR.
You takes your chances. I owned a Transalp before this. The 640 ADV has been out of production for 4 years while the Transalp was only sold in the US for 2 years and that was 21 years ago. I feel like the 640 Adventure is a well supported machine with a huge aftermarket compared to that.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #3284
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,898
Quote:
Definitely not light loading. But yeas light offloading, since I am not a great offload rider. But it comes down to cost. I always liked the 640,but some friends of friends said they had bad relationships with the bike. Still, they love them. Servicing, maintenance. How do you find it. Is it easy to change the oil on the side of the road on long trips? And the vibes, how bad is bad?

Thanks,
FR
The longest trip I have done on the 640 was 8000 km and had little to do in the way of maintenance... I changed the oil and checked the valves the day before I left on this trip and then again the day after I got back stretching the interval an extra 2000 km... Oil changes do take longer as your draining and refilling 2 reservoirs but after you do your first 2 changes it becomes basic and pretty simple...

I have 2 640s and they have different vibe levels... My project 640 has vibe levels on par with a 690 and my original bike vibes considerably more but not enough to be bothersome... On the dirt you don't really notice any vibes... Best off is if you ride the bike before you buy to see if it fits your fancy...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #3285
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
You takes your chances. I owned a Transalp before this. The 640 ADV has been out of production for 4 years while the Transalp was only sold in the US for 2 years and that was 21 years ago....
I still have my '89 TA, 2 totally different beasts but I love them both.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is online now   Reply With Quote