Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #3301
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
I have an NSK bearing from my 03 cush that pretty much measure 52mm spot on... The bearing number I replaced it with NSK- 3205b-2rsrtngc3, I picked this up from a bearing supply place for about $30...
Finally found the box for the new bearing, same as Gunner's The one from KTM is a 5205, but is the exact same as the 3205b from a bearing shop. Used on Chevy pick up trucks.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #3302
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Finally found the box for the new bearing, same as Gunner's The one from KTM is a 5205, but is the exact same as the 3205b from a bearing shop. Used on Chevy pick up trucks.

[/IMG]
thanks juames, good info and i have the correct bearing.

anyone out there with a cush hub carrier w/o bearing and be able to measure the bore diameter?

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #3303
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
my cush hub sprocket carrier is from a 2002, the carrier not turning smoothly, there's some resistance, and somewhat crunchy.

pushed bearing out, it's made by NSK (germany), # 6205 B2RSR2NG. the OD is 2.0465-2.0470. the bearing itself turns smoothly and no play.

anyway, since it's 2 years old and over 6k miles, i decided to get a new bearing. JAF 6205RS (made in japan @ $30). same OD as the NSK 6205.

i checked the ID of the carrier, 2.0442-2.0445...

based on the above numbers, the interference is over .002. that's a lot....

that explains why the bearing was tight. the outer raceway was getting crushed causing it to collapse.

we do a lot of press fit bearing installation here and the typical interference is .0005 - .001.

does anyone has an uninstalled oem ktm bearing ? OD? :

what's the ID of your carrier?

my next move is machine the ID of the carrier by removing .001 of material.

finally did it, machined the hub id to Ø2.046. still have to use a press to install bearing into hub.

no more crunchy feeling....now it spins smoooooooth.....

will report long term results.

have another cush hub set at home, will check id when bearing needs replacement.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #3304
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 303
Get the large, short Seal Savers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly enduro View Post
I just read the thread on the neoprene fork guards. It's mentioned to shorten them, as they will affect the suspension if not... Anyone know how long they should be???
Turn them inside out if you don't want the logo to show....had many sets and they last forever
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #3305
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
I've just bought a 03 640 so I have a few queries about the wiring. The diagram I have lists "roadbook ernergie". Is this for powering a roadbook or somethin else. There seems to be a brown wire coming into it from the batt and then the output goes to various other points. Is this just for power? eg 12v and could therefore power anything thats not power hungry? eg usb charger for phone etc.

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #3306
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
I've just bought a 03 640 so I have a few queries about the wiring. The diagram I have lists "roadbook ernergie". Is this for powering a roadbook or somethin else. There seems to be a brown wire coming into it from the batt and then the output goes to various other points. Is this just for power? eg 12v and could therefore power anything thats not power hungry? eg usb charger for phone etc.

Any help appreciated.
TileMan,
In my 06 640, I used that "Roadbook Energy" for my GPS, no problem during 6 years.

Cheers!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #3307
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,591
Quote:

Any help appreciated.
There's a plug for a roadbook, as in what you'd use in a Rally (you can buy the left side handlebar buttons to control the scrolling too, or make your own like ADPete did), and there's a dedicated plug also for GPS. Take your pick.
KTM put a lot of thought into the '03 upgrade, they are probably the fastest and smoothest of that line.
If you're fiddling with electrics, run a decent gauge pair of wires from the battery to power the headlights, you will get double the brightness, and just use the standard wiring to trigger the relays. The standard fairy-pubes wires are too small and give voltage drop.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #3308
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
There's a plug for a roadbook, as in what you'd use in a Rally (you can buy the left side handlebar buttons to control the scrolling too, or make your own like ADPete did), and there's a dedicated plug also for GPS. Take your pick.
If you're fiddling with electrics, run a decent gauge pair of wires from the battery to power the headlights, you will get double the brightness, and just use the standard wiring to trigger the relays. The standard fairy-pubes wires are too small and give voltage drop.
I'll have to check for the gps plug, didn't see it on the diagram. Relays I have so that should be ok to sort.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #3309
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
I'll have to check for the gps plug, didn't see it on the diagram. Relays I have so that should be ok to sort.
Under the dash you'll see a row of plugs fastened to the dash bar, 2 of these plugs are 2 pin connecters and are free... I use bullet connecters to tap into them and run my GPS or other small power consumers... The nice thing is that they are switched so when you turn off with the key you don't have to worry about forgetting something and killing the battery...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #3310
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Under the dash you'll see a row of plugs fastened to the dash bar, 2 of these plugs are 2 pin connecters and are free... I use bullet connecters to tap into them and run my GPS or other small power consumers... The nice thing is that they are switched so when you turn off with the key you don't have to worry about forgetting something and killing the battery...
Had another look at the diagram. There is 2 plugs listed as part 39, roadbook - ernegie, i assume on listed for the roadbook and/or something else. Looks like I'll have to get my roadbook built!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #3311
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla View Post
KTM put a lot of thought into the '03 upgrade, they are probably the fastest and smoothest of that line.
Is this also worth while for the power to the plugs under the dash? Not that I'm planning on running much (GPS/USB charging cable/ Maybe roadbook). Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but the DL I have has the same problem with lights and so I upgraded a bit of the cabling as to lose the power loss from smaller cables.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #3312
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
I tapped into one of those for my heated grips and the other for my GPS. On my '03, one turns off and the other doesn't with the key. soon both my 950 and 640 (same deal), I tapped the on/off one for the grips and the on all the time for the GPS

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #3313
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,950
Fixation

Be aware.

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #3314
Low594
Adventuring Creep

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
Thats interesting, but what does it mean? The way they right it sounds like a spoof/internet prank. If you see one way is that ok, what if you dont, should you see a doctor, give up riding and/or driving??
Low594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #3315
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low594 View Post
Thats interesting, but what does it mean? The way they right it sounds like a spoof/internet prank. If you see one way is that ok, what if you dont, should you see a doctor, give up riding and/or driving??
It means "4 beers top if you are riding"...

It's true, I can't see what I have to do according to the results... or may be is just that, a optical illusion.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote