Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #331
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
thanks Magli, I was beginning to wonder...

I will join your thread, and perhaps it should be in the index since it is relevant info; can't say if it is there somewhere or not, but it is probably buried if so.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:48 AM   #332
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
Question SW-Motech Bar risers

Has anybody fitted these? SW-Motech Bar risers

I've just bought a new 06 model and have never fitted bar risers before. I thought it would be an easy job - undo a couple of bolts, slip in the new risers and bolts, and away I go. But these things can't fit on top of the stock risers because the new bolts are not an extra 30mm compared to the existing bolts, they are only an extra 10mm give or take. But if I take the stock risers out and put these in it doesn't look good - the new SW-Motech risers don't have a rebate to sit snugly in the hole and the rubber insert from the stock risers doesn't fit in them either.Besids that I will only gain an extra 8mm or so on the stock risers.

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 PM   #333
640rider
Hard to ride in Baghdad

Oddometer: 13
2003 640 adventure

question for any one who cares. here is my situation. i have a 2003 adventure which is still like new because i am deployed all the time and never get a chance to ride it. doesn't have a scratch on it yet as it still feels like new. interesting story how i came to own it, by the way. my question is, what is the prefered method of wireing the grip heaters? i have the heaters in place and the switch installed, just didn't connect the wires. i know it is + to and - to - but, should i go directly to the battery or through the ignition switch? i know will get results direct to the battery but dont want to risk the chance that the switch might get bumped and run the battery dead. and all the existing wireing on the bike is so small, i dont want to burn anything up. can the existing wires handle the draw that the heaters will demand? i have considered running off the back side of the accessory power outlet in the dash but, i remember reading somewhere that it is not recomended. i don't run anything off of it now though so it;s kind of a waist. thanks to any one with suggestions, and greatings from Baghdad. hopr my bike doesn't colect too much dust before i can use it again
640rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #334
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640rider
question for any one who cares. here is my situation. i have a 2003 adventure which is still like new because i am deployed all the time and never get a chance to ride it. doesn't have a scratch on it yet as it still feels like new. interesting story how i came to own it, by the way. my question is, what is the prefered method of wireing the grip heaters? i have the heaters in place and the switch installed, just didn't connect the wires. i know it is + to and - to - but, should i go directly to the battery or through the ignition switch? i know will get results direct to the battery but dont want to risk the chance that the switch might get bumped and run the battery dead. and all the existing wireing on the bike is so small, i dont want to burn anything up. can the existing wires handle the draw that the heaters will demand? i have considered running off the back side of the accessory power outlet in the dash but, i remember reading somewhere that it is not recomended. i don't run anything off of it now though so it;s kind of a waist. thanks to any one with suggestions, and greatings from Baghdad. hopr my bike doesn't colect too much dust before i can use it again
The LC4 thread index isn't really the best place to ask questions... its more of a repository of general information.
A new thread for something like this is usually best as it brings the question up for others in the same predicament and permits a better hit potential for future searches.

To answer your question...

The accessory outlet is a un-switched 10A "service"... in other words, it's hot 24/7. That would be where I'd piggyback your grip heaters, but I understand your concern with leaving them on accidentally... you'd kill the battery fairly quickly.
My suggestion for this dilemma is to wire the switch to the yellow (KTM IDs this wire color as "GE") wire located at the multi-connector number 9 (location 32 on the schematic, top center of the page) as this is a 20A/10A fused, switched connection.
Depending on the draw of the heaters, you may find it necessary to up the fuse to a 15A item.

You can also tap off the red/white or yellow/red "output" wires coming directly off the ignition switch if you like... both of those are fed thru the switch via the 20A main fuse.

And thank you for your service to our country... a sincere hope that you get home safe and sound, to ride the dust off your 640A.

C
Old 04-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #335
640rider
Hard to ride in Baghdad

Oddometer: 13
thanks you're awsome, and thanks for the quick reply. don't want to burn the bike up, there aren't many like it in the shape that it is in.
640rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #336
HEAVY METAL
Lucky Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Auxillary fuel tanks

Can anyone out there help me? I am after some extra fuel carrying capacity for my 640 ADV.Hope to hear from someone soon.Thanks Brad
2003 Yamaha WR250F
2005 KTM 640ADV
2007 KTM525EXC
HEAVY METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:22 AM   #337
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640rider
thanks you're awsome, and thanks for the quick reply. don't want to burn the bike up, there aren't many like it in the shape that it is in.
Just make sure you pick a hot lead that is switched to the key to power the grips.

Otherwise if you're prone to what I like to call "Senior Moments", you'll stop the bike, and walk away only to return to find a dead battery because you forgot to turn your grips off.

I did this three or 4 times before I changed the grip wiring to be switched to the key.

Dirty
Old 04-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #338
rabbitsinmyboots
I Love This F-ing Bike

Oddometer: 2
Price Me: 2005 640 Adventure, clean, rejetted

I'm lookin at buying a '05 640 adventure and I can't seem to find a BB value for it. The guy is asking 7,800. Where should I start negotiations and where should I end? Any help would be great. Also, this is my first adventure type bike (grew up on dirtbikes), will the Katoom be a good all around bike. I'd like to ride it daily and not hesitate to take it off-road or on trips, am I looking at the right bike?...
rabbitsinmyboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #339
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,373
You'd probably get a berrer response if you post your question as its own thread, rather than hidden in the thread index.

7,800 is very cheap...................................if your talking $AUD

Tell them where you live (in the US I am guessing) will help heaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsinmyboots
Also, this is my first adventure type bike (grew up on dirtbikes), will the Katoom be a good all around bike. I'd like to ride it daily and not hesitate to take it off-road or on trips, am I looking at the right bike?...
Yeah, their good for what you describe, In my opinion. Some people bitch about the vibration, but if your used to a dirt ike it isn't that bad. some bikes (and riders tollerance to) vibrate more than others.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #340
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,020
Talking Hey Creeper & Meat–thanks...

I found and used the valve adjust and TDC threads on here to do my first ever foray under the rocker covers along with a little help from my mechanic. The whole endeavor seems to have been a success after a few hundred klicks. Much peace of mind now that I've finally gotten my first full maintenance behind me.
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

skibum69 screwed with this post 04-28-2007 at 06:49 PM Reason: typo
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #341
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
I have just bought and fitted the remote switch for the odometer on my 06 640 adv and was dissapointted to discover that it is not possible to reset the trip computer with it, which is the reason I went and bought it in the first place. Anyone know of a way of rewiring it so that it resets either one or both of the trip meters?
The remote only allows you to scroll through the functions and adjust the reading on trip 2 up or down, which is nice, but I really would like to be able to reset trip 1 or 2 with taking my hands off the bars. Any info appreciated.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 PM   #342
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,471
Hey all,

I recently bought a 99 LC4! and plan on taking it for a little ride this weekend. In preparation, I followed Creepers thread on how to change the oil.

Being the lazy person that I am I didn't want to go though the trouble of gathering the materials to make the burping tool so I just bought these items at my locol Auto Zone.

They worked out really well.

I also fashioned the filler funnel using a straw and some electrical tape.

It took me several hours to do the job. Damn things got enough plugs! I did get a leg full of oil when I drained the frame. I guess I shouldn't have loosened the top filler plug till after. Doing the job myself saved me around $200.00

Thanks for the easy to follow instructions Creeper.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #343
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez

Thanks for the easy to follow instructions Creeper.
Easy to follow? Who knew?
Old 05-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #344
bfreehill
rally man

Oddometer: 24
96 620sx electric start conversion?... anyone done it?

96 620sx electric start conversion?... anyone done it?
I hear its pricey but possible.

anyone have a parts list out there?

Thanks,
B
bfreehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #345
travisdenver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
KtM 640 Adventure SW Motech side stand for sale

SOLDDDD This is the SW Motech sidestand that allows you to retain your factory center stand as well. Brand new in bag; never installed. $90 includes shipping to lower 48 via UPS Ground. PM for contact.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...ctview/329/89/

travisdenver screwed with this post 05-21-2007 at 01:41 PM
travisdenver is offline   Reply With Quote