Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #3826
tstick14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
not starting

This is all for an 03 Adv.

Ok, so I rejetted the carb, 157.5, 47.5, did the spring clip, slide drill out, have the open airbox. Put it all back together, fresh fuel, open all the fuel taps and fuel supply valve. And....... no worky. So I pulled the air filter off and sprayed to volatile fluids into the carb and it turned over. So what should I be checking for fuel supply issues? Where is the fuel filter on these things anyway? Possible I buggered something in the carb for fuel supply? Tell me your thoughts and what to check you all powerful Adv whisperers.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #3827
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstick14 View Post

Ok, so I rejetted the carb, 157.5, 47.5, did the spring clip, slide drill out, have the open airbox. Put it all back together, fresh fuel, open all the fuel taps and fuel supply valve. And....... no worky. So I pulled the air filter off and sprayed to volatile fluids into the carb and it turned over. So what should I be checking for fuel supply issues? Where is the fuel filter on these things anyway? Possible I buggered something in the carb for fuel supply? Tell me your thoughts and what to check you all powerful Adv whisperers.

Full tank?

Vacuum line connected to the fuel pump?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #3828
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
open the float bowl drain and check that there's fuel in there for starters.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #3829
biensur22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:

If you don't see a fuel filter then it's possible there isn't one. It should be between the fuel pump and the carb. If there's no filter, possible you clogged your starter jet; start by draining the float and refilling. That doesn't work, drop the float and check the starter jet for a clog. This is assuming you have compression and spark.
biensur22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #3830
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:

I am assuming the bike ran fine before you did all this ? For one thing you'll probably find the 47.5 pilot jet will be on the rich side, I found no need to change from the stock 45 when rejetting...

There is a small fuel filter that sits in the fuel line spigot on the carb.. Slide the fuel line off for access and then you need to hook the lip of it up with a small screwdriver and then it will pull out... But without removing the filter you can test it by cracking the fuel drain screw at the bottom of the float bowl to see if a good flow of fuel comes out proving that the filter indeed lets fuel past...

- Make sure your enricher piston is not stuck open...

-Make sure the needle clip is in the right spot and sandwiched between the 2 nylon washers followed by a steel washer underneath...

- Make sure you have not mixed up the hoses to the fuel pump

-Make sure the rubber diaphragm on the slide is sealing properly

-Make sure the rubber o-rings are in place within the carb {2 on the float cage, 1 on the slide guide}

Check that your float height is near parallel

-Make sure your valve clearances are within spec...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #3831
tstick14
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the quick replies. None of the jets should be clogged since I just took the carb apart to re-jet it and all bits "should" be where the belong and in the order, I used the thread index picture books to guide me. I'll start with float drain to check for fuel and make sure the fuel lines aren't crossed, then go from there with suggestions. If it runs, I'll tell ya, if it doesn't, I'll tell ya.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #3832
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Stupid Noob Question... I just bought a 2000 640 Adventure. Its the first bike I've ever owned with a Decompression lever. Should the lever spring back after being released? Mine doesn't, it just stays in the position you move it to.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #3833
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,957
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Stupid Noob Question... I just bought a 2000 640 Adventure. Its the first bike I've ever owned with a Decompression lever. Should the lever spring back after being released? Mine doesn't, it just stays in the position you move it to.
Yes, lever must go back or it will not let the exhaust valves close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #3834
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post

Thanks, figured that might be the case. I'll check it out tonight to see if the spring is broken.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #3835
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
A few things to check would be:
-the venting of your gas cap
- fuel line routing {no kinks}
-water in your fuel
- tear in your slide diaphragm
- check you pilot fuel passageway to make sure it is clear
- check you carb manifold boots for cracks
I took the carb apart to find this :

How come the needle has had so much wear in only 5000 kms? It looked fine six months ago when I last checked it. I've been riding more or less the same area as before, and I live in NW Spain, quite a rainy & greeny area, quite the opposite from desert or sandy places.

The needle 5k kms. ago :

The slide center hole is oval shaped, not circular as I believe it should be.
Could it be the spring has lost tension? It's 10,9 cms. long.

What's the cause of so much wear in so little time?
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #3836
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post

How come the needle has had so much wear in only 5000 kms? It looked fine six months ago when I last checked it. I've been riding more or less the same area as before, and I live in NW Spain, quite a rainy & greeny area, quite the opposite from desert or sandy places.
Probably wear on the slide and the corresponding parts in the carb.

Here's a post with a shot of some old and new parts. Old worn parts show the hole for the needle terribly out of alignment. I'd imagine this would contribute greatly to the wear on the needle.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=123
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #3837
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGrinch View Post

Figured it out. The screw on the lever pivot was way tight. Loosened it and all is as it should be. Check the simple stuff first stupid.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #3838
tstick14
Gnarly Adventurer

update on bike not starting

As posted above, I finished the mods on my carb. Installed everything didn't start, bike started before just ran crappy. I sprayed some starting fluid in and it fired on that. I checked the float drain and fuel came out of that so I know fuel is getting in there. And I know the spark plug and all works being that it fired on starting fluid. I guess drain the float bowl, and try again? That entire carb should be clean, since... well.... I just cleaned it and the fuel is fresh.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #3839
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
As posted above, I finished the mods on my carb. Installed everything didn't start, bike started before just ran crappy. I sprayed some starting fluid in and it fired on that. I checked the float drain and fuel came out of that so I know fuel is getting in there. And I know the spark plug and all works being that it fired on starting fluid. I guess drain the float bowl, and try again? That entire carb should be clean, since... well.... I just cleaned it and the fuel is fresh.
Is your snorkel on still? How is the exhaust? Might need to be opened up some? You put in a bigger main jet? I'm no expert but I think you might need to increase airflow? Remove snorkel or get racing side cover and open exhaust some or more? I got my 99 lc4e a year and a half ago. Had to clean carb and replace old gas line. my main jet was a 142.5 and I went to 157.5, removed snorkel and removed the disks from the end of my supertrapp (some drill a bigger hole in the exhaust, mine I think was already done). My bike runs perfect this way and it's not to loud unless you reall get on it. I've driven next to numerous cops. No noise compaint. I am a total noob to this bike or was. I studied the 640 page from beginning to end. Literally months of information on our bikes. Also lots of smart (not so friendly all the time) people with a lot of great advice. I just did what I read and it worked great. Maybe I got lucky? Probably something simple is wrong with your bike?
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #3840
theGrinch
SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer: 1,957
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Is your snorkel on still? How is the exhaust? Might need to be opened up some? You put in a bigger main jet? I'm no expert but I think you might need to increase airflow? Remove snorkel or get racing side cover and open exhaust some or more? I got my 99 lc4e a year and a half ago. Had to clean carb and replace old gas line. my main jet was a 142.5 and I went to 157.5, removed snorkel and removed the disks from the end of my supertrapp (some drill a bigger hole in the exhaust, mine I think was already done). My bike runs perfect this way and it's not to loud unless you reall get on it. I've driven next to numerous cops. No noise compaint. I am a total noob to this bike or was. I studied the 640 page from beginning to end. Literally months of information on our bikes. Also lots of smart (not so friendly all the time) people with a lot of great advice. I just did what I read and it worked great. Maybe I got lucky? Probably something simple is wrong with your bike?
+1 for above...

...needs more air flow out exhaust, if carb mods have been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Who's the clueless noob?
theGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote