Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3976
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,939
Dang, now I want to go get a cream-cycle... Or orange sorbet.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #3977
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrocks View Post
Interesting. I just repaired and cleaned the ignition switch, filled it with silicone so the wires wouldn't wiggle free so easily too. Would a dying battery affect the Tach signal?

Now I've got bigger issues. I went for a ride after work today and the tach was all over the place, worse when I was on the throttle. I rode for about 40 min, stopped at my wife's office. I shut it down and sat on the bike for a minute and noticed that everything was completely dead, no lights, no speedo, no horn, no nothing. I had noticed the Tripmaster fading in and out a bit about a mile before I stopped.

I pulled the seat, and removed the fuses for my headlights. I have the high and low wired direct from the battery with separate fuses. They are wired to come on together on High. Low and parking light are on on Low.

I had been riding at fairly low speeds for most of the ride on tight dirt roads, I think I had the headlights on High the entire time. Last 5 miles was 70mph 4 lane into town.

I borrowed my wife's jumper cables and hooked them to the battery and let it sit for about 20 min. Took the cables off and it was still dead. Hooked them back up and hit the starter and it fired right up. Let it sit and idle for about 15 min, put the seat on and rode home with just the parking light on. Dash lights, Tripmaster, Tach and signals all worked on the way home.

Pulled in the garage and shut the bike down. Turned the key back on, same deal, all dead again. Put it on the battery tender for 2 hrs. Pulled the seat and got out my multimeter and took it off the tender.

Measured at the battery
Everything off, I get 13.16 v.
Key on, Neutral light, parking light, tail light, Tripmaster on, 12.69v
Kill switch on, Hit starter, 3v and a click from the battery area, all lights go out. Tripmaster trip resets to 0 Mi.

If I leave it sit, the dash lights and Tripmaster will slowly come back on. Hit the starter, all goes dead. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Fried battery or something else?
IMHO,
Your ignition switch is failing internally or the man fuse contacts are failing.

Did you disassemble the switch completely or just glue the bottom together like I did, had to tear mine apart a second time and redo the contacts.
I lost all power at speed.
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #3978
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,855
Quote:

Measured at the battery
Everything off, I get 13.16 v.
Key on, Neutral light, parking light, tail light, Tripmaster on, 12.69v
Kill switch on, Hit starter, 3v and a click from the battery area, all lights go out. Tripmaster trip resets to 0 Mi.

If I leave it sit, the dash lights and Tripmaster will slowly come back on. Hit the starter, all goes dead. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Fried battery or something else?
If your battery drops to 3 volts, it's toast. It might not be your only problem, but it's definitely one of them.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #3979
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Before & after

Looks great! Tell us about your choice of headlight. What kind and why. Seems odd to see a round bucket type headlight on a modern enduro. Not bad, just different. We all know the light on the LC4's are lacking. I rarely ride at night and so, haven't been too motivated to pursue changes.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #3980
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
IMHO,
Your ignition switch is failing internally or the man fuse contacts are failing.

Did you disassemble the switch completely or just glue the bottom together like I did, had to tear mine apart a second time and redo the contacts.
I lost all power at speed.
bill
It was totally dissasembled and cleaned. One wire to was worn badly so I replaced it completely. Resoldered another loose connection. Lubed the contacts with a bit of dielectic grease and put it all back together. Silicone in the base cup and a ziptie inside to protect against movement.

I took it apart initially because my headlights were flickering when the bars were turned.

Late last night I remembered I had a spare battery from my GS that I sold. I hooked it up and it fired right up.

Going to get a new battery today and see how things go. After sitting on the charger all night it still went to 0V when I hit the starter this morning with the old battery. If that doesn't fix things then I may just order a new ignition switch.

Going to install a volt meter so I can track what's happening. I may also rewire my lights so they aren't on at the same time on High.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #3981
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
I'm excited, haven't been riding my LC4 a lot in the last couple of years but I've got her all ready to go. Hoping to get some dirt time in this summer!

Before:

and AFTER!

Good job! very innovative (and retro ).
IMHO:
- Functional: if you aim to ride true offroad, may be you would consider a shorter mirror, or even a fold one.
- Cosmetic: I would add a fairing of some kind .

Cheers.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #3982
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by liferider View Post
Good job! very innovative (and retro ).
IMHO:
- Functional: if you aim to ride true offroad, may be you would consider a shorter mirror, or even a fold one.
- Cosmetic: I would add a fairing of some kind .

Cheers.

Funny you should mention the mirror... It came off of a '74 Honda XL350 that as near as I can tell had been on it since 1974.

I have hit a deer at 40 mph and slid the bike down the road, I have been rear ended at a stop sign, and I have dropped it in a parking lot. It goes without saying that as a dirt bike it has been run through brush / trees, single track, two track, deserts, gravel pits, and has been dropped a few more times.

Guess what?

The mirror has never broken (knock on wood). When I got the bike it had one of those fancy folding mirrors- broken to pieces.

As for the fairing- I have a "Dakar" style fairing I'm sort of working on- that will be the next flavour. The bike tends to change a lot- Started out as a red LC4, then it went orange, then it went supermoto, then it went tour-tard, now its white and back to "minimalistic" dirt bike.

I do still plan on some sort of little cover above the headlight in the near future though.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #3983
liferider
Never It's enough

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Funny you should mention the mirror... It came off of a '74 Honda XL350 that as near as I can tell had been on it since 1974.

I have hit a deer at 40 mph and slid the bike down the road, I have been rear ended at a stop sign, and I have dropped it in a parking lot. It goes without saying that as a dirt bike it has been run through brush / trees, single track, two track, deserts, gravel pits, and has been dropped a few more times.

Guess what?

The mirror has never broken (knock on wood). When I got the bike it had one of those fancy folding mirrors- broken to pieces.

As for the fairing- I have a "Dakar" style fairing I'm sort of working on- that will be the next flavour. The bike tends to change a lot- Started out as a red LC4, then it went orange, then it went supermoto, then it went tour-tard, now its white and back to "minimalistic" dirt bike.

I do still plan on some sort of little cover above the headlight in the near future though.
Against all odds, its a survivor...!!! incredible...
That mirror does deserve to be in the A-Team... no bench for it!!!

Some times is unbelievable how things turn out. Nevertheless, in my case... no matter how much I prevent issues... sh_t happens anyway!

Keep posting pics of your mods to come, thanks.
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #3984
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
It was totally dissasembled and cleaned. One wire to was worn badly so I replaced it completely. Resoldered another loose connection. Lubed the contacts with a bit of dielectic grease and put it all back together. Silicone in the base cup and a ziptie inside to protect against movement.

I took it apart initially because my headlights were flickering when the bars were turned.

Late last night I remembered I had a spare battery from my GS that I sold. I hooked it up and it fired right up.

Going to get a new battery today and see how things go. After sitting on the charger all night it still went to 0V when I hit the starter this morning with the old battery. If that doesn't fix things then I may just order a new ignition switch.

Going to install a volt meter so I can track what's happening. I may also rewire my lights so they aren't on at the same time on High.
WV,
Here's what I use for voltage monitoring, simple and accurate.

http://signaldynamics.com/index.php/...id=44&vmcchk=1

Could some silicone have gotten into the switch when you reassembled it?
Well it happened to me.

I mentioned the main fuse, the contacts loosened on my '02 and I had no power.

I tore my ground connection apart too but it wasn't the problemin either case

It's a pisser of a problem so you have my sympathy and I'll call your machine a CSing, MFing bastard for you.

You'd think if it was the switch, working it a little would restore power. Every damn motorcycle I ever owned had an ignition switch problem and the suckers are expensive.

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #3985
Saronkhye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi, I have a 02 640 adv and I am having problems with the starter.
I have checked the following
Battery 13 volts
Earth strap cleaned
20 amp fuse replaced
Cleaned cable to starter.
Checked current to starter 12.7 volts
Pulled out starter cleaned inside of starter.
No obvious problems
Tried to start, just a whirring noise from starter.
Anyone have any suggestions.
Also is it important to change main bearing, my bike has done 16000kms.
If anyone in oz has made a tool to pull out this bearing can I please borrow/ loan.
Cheers
Ron
Saronkhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #3986
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill View Post
WV,
Here's what I use for voltage monitoring, simple and accurate.

Could some silicone have gotten into the switch when you reassembled it?
Well it happened to me.

I mentioned the main fuse, the contacts loosened on my '02 and I had no power.

I tore my ground connection apart too but it wasn't the problemin either case

You'd think if it was the switch, working it a little would restore power. Every damn motorcycle I ever owned had an ignition switch problem and the suckers are expensive.

bill
Thanks Bill. I picked up one of the waterproof digital models from Advmonster. That Signal Dyn one looks nice and simple though. Should be here Friday.

Its possible but unlikely that the silcone is causing an issue. I filled it then turned it right side up so it wouldn't run into the rest of the switch. Everything connected to the switch is functioning.

The main fuse is still quite tight in its contacts.

When I rewired my headlights I went through and cleaned all the frame grounds as well.

I replaced the battery yesterday and everything is working now. I am however concerned that my charging system may not be working properly. That might explain why a 40 min ride with the High beams on killed the battery. Going to test the Rectifier and check the stator output tonight. If that checks out, I may tear the switch apart again just to verify its condition.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #3987
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,855
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I picked up one of the waterproof digital models from Advmonster. That Signal Dyn one looks nice and simple though. Should be here Friday.

Its possible but unlikely that the silcone is causing an issue. I filled it then turned it right side up so it wouldn't run into the rest of the switch. Everything connected to the switch is functioning.

The main fuse is still quite tight in its contacts.

When I rewired my headlights I went through and cleaned all the frame grounds as well.

I replaced the battery yesterday and everything is working now. I am however concerned that my charging system may not be working properly. That might explain why a 40 min ride with the High beams on killed the battery. Going to test the Rectifier and check the stator output tonight. If that checks out, I may tear the switch apart again just to verify its condition.

Yeah, I'm trying to sus out a charging issue on my bike as well. I've got a GPS which shows voltage. Went for a ride the other day was reading 13.5 volts to start with.

Got up in to the mountains I look down and see 12.8 volts (My GPS reads about .4 volts lower than my bench volt meter. Now I'm checking my voltage every minute or two and its slowly dropping. 12.7....12.6....12.5 (12.3 is what it reads when the bike is off. ) I stop the bike, shut it down and start messing with the GPS to figure a direct route home. Start it back up and she's reading 13.5 volts again. Hmm... kept going instead of heading home. Watch voltage for a while and it's a steady 13.5. after about 10 miles it's suddenly 12.8 again and dropping. This time I take the hint and head home. The whole way back it's 12.8 and dropping, then suddenly back to 13.5 for a bit, then back to 12.8 and dropping.. At one point it is 12.3. I pull the clutch and rev the motor and she's back to 13.5.

Battery is in good shape. I replaced the voltage regulator with one from a 950. Now I see almost 14 volts when charging, but still sometimes she'll only read 12.8. I Ohm's tested the stator, which checks out. I haven't check the voltage from the stator yet though. Connections between the stator and Voltage Regulator seem good. I've upgraded the wiring from the voltage regulator to the battery.

Low Voltage readings have been verified with my bench meter. At the moment the GPS is wired directly to the battery so it's always on. No relays or Aux fuse blocks, just one inline fuse.

Hmm.. I don't want to spend more $$ by throwing a stator on there, but it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced.

It's almost like it's intermittently dropping a leg from the stator.
I hate intermittent electrical problems!

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #3988
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Hmm.. I don't want to spend more $$ by throwing a stator on there, but it's the only thing that hasn't been replaced.

It's almost like it's intermittently dropping a leg from the stator.
I hate intermittent electrical problems!
If you do end up swaping stators, this one is supposed to be higher output and plug/play. Price isn't terrible compared to stock.

http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bik...r-3-phase.html

I'm going to test my R/R and stator this evening and see what I'm getting.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #3989
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
If you do end up swaping stators, this one is supposed to be higher output and plug/play. Price isn't terrible compared to stock.

http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bik...r-3-phase.html

I'm going to test my R/R and stator this evening and see what I'm getting.
When last I heard you need to also buy a 950/990 R/R to run the Electrosport stator, because its output is too high for the 640's R/R. Results were mixed as I recall.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3990
ericGSsti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
A friend of mine has bought a 2001 640 LC4. The engine is not working. It's the black type. He has sorced an engine from a 2003 with the grey casings so I thought I'd ask if the grey engine will replace the black engine or is there major differences.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote