Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #4006
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Question Electrical troubles

First a picture of my much enjoyed 640

Not quite convinced with the chosen orange, though. It gets better once clean, but apart from brakes&chain&air filter that doesn't happen so often.

So, about the electrical troubles. I posted a while ago some trouble with fuelling, the engine stalled, run fine most of of the time but not so when singletracking with high steeps, up or downhill.
I replaced my BST40 - 49k kms. on the clock - with a worn needle and slide for another one with just 11k - and problems seemed to have disappeared ... but not for long.
It run troubleless for the first 1000 kms. But, strangely, the right indicator stopped working, as if it had not enough power, and a few kms. away from home the dash lit off and the bike stopped. It had been running poorly, with a similar sensation - again - as if running out of gas.
I found one 10A fuse needed replacement, once changed the dash came to life but the indicators - only the right ones - still didn't work.
Checked the bulbs, they were fine. The battery is new, ground connections were tight and after a week going not so well, the problem got sorted out itself.
All connections in the battery area seem fine, any ideas where else to look at?

With no apparent reason, the bike idles perfectly ok sometimes, others just dies with a "click" ticking, something to do with the autodecompressor, I'd say.
Rocker bearings were changed 10k kms. ago, the inlet was seized.

What takes me out is the fact of it not being constant, most of the time all goes normal, sometimes something shows the problem is still there.
By the way, the side stand switch has been disconnected since I bought the bike two years ago.
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #4007
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
First a picture of my much enjoyed 640

Not quite convinced with the chosen orange, though. It gets better once clean, but apart from brakes&chain&air filter that doesn't happen so often.

So, about the electrical troubles. I posted a while ago some trouble with fuelling, the engine stalled, run fine most of of the time but not so when singletracking with high steeps, up or downhill.
I replaced my BST40 - 49k kms. on the clock - with a worn needle and slide for another one with just 11k - and problems seemed to have disappeared ... but not for long.
It run troubleless for the first 1000 kms. But, strangely, the right indicator stopped working, as if it had not enough power, and a few kms. away from home the dash lit off and the bike stopped. It had been running poorly, with a similar sensation - again - as if running out of gas.
I found one 10A fuse needed replacement, once changed the dash came to life but the indicators - only the right ones - still didn't work.
Checked the bulbs, they were fine. The battery is new, ground connections were tight and after a week going not so well, the problem got sorted out itself.
All connections in the battery area seem fine, any ideas where else to look at?

With no apparent reason, the bike idles perfectly ok sometimes, others just dies with a "click" ticking, something to do with the autodecompressor, I'd say.
Rocker bearings were changed 10k kms. ago, the inlet was seized.

What takes me out is the fact of it not being constant, most of the time all goes normal, sometimes something shows the problem is still there.
By the way, the side stand switch has been disconnected since I bought the bike two years ago.
It's worth checking your ignition switch: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169958

This problem is more prevalent on the 640A...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #4008
Baggi'tard
Assventure rider

Oddometer: 683
order directly from AMSOIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Hate to do this, but I have a simple question that always brings on a muti page answer.

I used to run Amsoil in my LC4, can't get it locally now.
I can get about anything else locally tho, except Motorex.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, my last valve adjustment was about 2K ago. Should it be checked again now?

Has needed no adjustments the last few times clearance was checked, and only needed adjustment once since break in.
Wondering what the real world interval on this should be.

"Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger.
KTM 640E, KTM Duke II, Ducati Multistrada 1100S

Baggi'tard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #4009
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,031
I got this
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7079435
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #4010
coarsegoldkid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post

I posted a while ago some trouble with fuelling, the engine stalled, run fine most of of the time but not so when singletracking with high steeps, up or downhill.
While out with a buddy his 640 with less than 2K miles, by the way, it stalled several times. It did so on me too. At the time we were on pavement going down hill which may be of no importance. However with a turn of the petcock to reserve the bike starts up and off we go again. This too may not be important. Because after we get going we switched back to "ON" and all is fine. His bike does have a check valve air breather for the fuel tank. I have no idea if this is a stock part or not but I have heard of check valve breathers getting stuck and starving the engine. Maybe this is the important part of his issue and maybe yours too.

Maybe you mentioned it before but does the stalling always happen in harmony with the signal and dash issue? If it always does then as mentioned earlier the ignition switch is worth a check and if possible a voltage check or ground check on the turn signal or dash lights when they are failing or behaving badly.
coarsegoldkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #4011
Somewhere Far Beyond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Thermoswitch

So I got a lower temp thermoswitch from an 02 640 Adventure (80-85 DEG instead of 98 DEG) to put in my 03. Not sure what I'm gonna need yet to adapt it on, but I'll be tearing her down today. Good a time as any to do a cooling system service as I don't know for sure when it was last done and warmer weather is getting here.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #4012
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post
While out with a buddy his 640 with less than 2K miles, by the way, it stalled several times. It did so on me too. At the time we were on pavement going down hill which may be of no importance. However with a turn of the petcock to reserve the bike starts up and off we go again. This too may not be important. Because after we get going we switched back to "ON" and all is fine. His bike does have a check valve air breather for the fuel tank. I have no idea if this is a stock part or not but I have heard of check valve breathers getting stuck and starving the engine. Maybe this is the important part of his issue and maybe yours too.

Maybe you mentioned it before but does the stalling always happen in harmony with the signal and dash issue? If it always does then as mentioned earlier the ignition switch is worth a check and if possible a voltage check or ground check on the turn signal or dash lights when they are failing or behaving badly.
CGkid.. tell your friend to pull his petcock and check the filter .. then check the filter inside the BST 40 inlet pipe (tiny white tip).. then if those arent clogged then start checking the fuel pump and lines.
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #4013
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere Far Beyond View Post
So I got a lower temp thermoswitch from an 02 640 Adventure (80-85 DEG instead of 98 DEG) to put in my 03. Not sure what I'm gonna need yet to adapt it on, but I'll be tearing her down today. Good a time as any to do a cooling system service as I don't know for sure when it was last done and warmer weather is getting here.

Would love to see and hear what you find! This is a must for my SXC as the thermoswitch is not working and it is absolutely ridiculous to let the motor get that hot before cooling fan kicks in.

Thanks in advance for letting us know.

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #4014
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
[QUOTE=bmwktmbill;21553227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Okay, so I take the 640E out for a ride yesterday. Forestry road, but rough as all get-out, more like a wide single track with LOTS of rocks. I stop to take a breather and look over the bike and I see the capacitor is just hanging. I look closer and see the mounting bracket is still attached, but the metal base plate has broken off at the weld points.

Is this common?

Second question:

I have an oil leak on the starter gear housing. I tried a work around, but it didn't. I tried to gently pry it off, but it wouldn't budge.

So is there any trick to pulling the cover off?

Kawidad,
I mounted my capacitor to the main frame, and... maybe your SG cover is mounted with some strong gasket sealer cause the o-ring failed.

Gentle heat(heat gun?) and a pry might help.

bill
I thought I'd follow up on this for the general knowledge. The cover is held in place by 2 locating dowels and the starter reduction gear shaft. No amount of gentle persuasion was going to do it. The only way to get it off was to remove the starter motor is with a dowel and a hammer and tap it from the back side to break it loose.

Interestingly enough someone else had a go at it before where someone had tried or did pry it off and bunged it up slightly.

You'd think KTM would have cast a small tab onto it, or a slot for a screwdriver blade to wedge it off.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #4015
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by coarsegoldkid View Post

This describes my problem too. Changing the petcock position sorted the problem out. Thanks!
To you too, Gunner, I'll have a look at the ignition switch.
Just came back from a quick 2k kms trip round a chain of mountains up to 2650m. Blown fuse, dead dash, new fuse, problem solved. Great bike, I very much enjoyed it.
I must be doing something wrong, the rear D908RR is almost completely worn,
which in 3600 kms. in total is not a lot. My previous D908RR lasted about 1000 kms. more, which is not too much neither.
But the TKC80 was about half that, maybe I shouldn't complain.
Time for a change, Mitas E10 are next.
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #4016
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
hey guys, i could use your help. this is a shameless request for your vote.

trying to win an intake system for my 990 and need your vote. please go to this THREAD and make a post for a vote with my member name.

thanks,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #4017
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,427
Question Front brake rotor.

Gentlemen, help a noobie out.

2001 adventure. I need a new front brake rotor and don't care to spend $200 on an OEM. I know I can get one off of cheapcycleparts.com but my concern is that there won't be a hole to install the magnetic pickup in the rotor for my IMO.

Any chance you guys know a link where I can get a cheaper new rotor where the magnet will fit no problem?

Thanks in advance!!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #4018
Saronkhye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hi, I have bought all the gear to the garter spring for the sprague clutch.
I followed instructions to remove stator, I do not have tools to take off flywheel outer nut. I tried 5 th gear brake on with no joy. I have the bolt in the case to lock out the motor but it has a little washer and is not long enough. If I get a longer bolt will this cause an damage to 2002 ktm640 adv. is there any other way of getting nut off. Also I found some small metal shavings near stator, is this normal, I intend on doing main bearing at same time. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Ron
Saronkhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #4019
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saronkhye View Post
I followed instructions to remove stator, I do not have tools to take off flywheel outer nut. I tried 5 th gear brake on with no joy. I have the bolt in the case to lock out the motor but it has a little washer and is not long enough. If I get a longer bolt will this cause an damage to 2002 ktm640 adv. is there any other way of getting nut off. Also I found some small metal shavings near stator, is this normal, I intend on doing main bearing at same time. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Ron
Don't use the bolt to lock the motor for torquing against. If 5th gear and the rear brake won't hold it, that bolt will shear off as well.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #4020
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,427
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saronkhye View Post
Cheers
Ron
Don't use the bolt!!!

It cost me $2250 to rebuild my motor after that.

On eBay there is an auction for the proper tools to hold the flywheel in place. Or I heard some using 5th gear and putting a larger dowel between the rear spokes and swing arm to hold it in place.

Personally, get the proper tool and save much grief and $$$$$.

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote