User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #4021
TexasDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Supertrapp Mod..

I have a Supertrapp with a welded plate protecting the Guts inside. this is on an 02 640 enduro. so when something broke loose inside, i had to cut her open with a hole saw right down the middle and remove the spark arrestor and pipe attached to it.

I know there is a mod out there that calls for this exact technique. can anyone explain to this noob how or what adjustments need to be mage at the carbe/air box to get it to stop bogging, backfiring and stalling since I cut her open?

I have toyed with the idle air/fuel mixture screw but that is not helping(could be user error). It seems as though the vaccuum on the exhaust side has increased and we are now pulling too much fuel but that is a guess.

please help!!! this is usually my primary vehicle.
TexasDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #4022
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,449
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDirt View Post
I have a Supertrapp with a welded plate protecting the Guts inside. this is on an 02 640 enduro. so when something broke loose inside, i had to cut her open with a hole saw right down the middle and remove the spark arrestor and pipe attached to it.

I know there is a mod out there that calls for this exact technique. can anyone explain to this noob how or what adjustments need to be mage at the carbe/air box to get it to stop bogging, backfiring and stalling since I cut her open?

I have toyed with the idle air/fuel mixture screw but that is not helping(could be user error). It seems as though the vaccuum on the exhaust side has increased and we are now pulling too much fuel but that is a guess.

You most likely need to rejet.

Also why fight with the stock supercrapp. Get yourself an FMF Q4.

The 2006 model will fit perfectly. You will definitely need to rejet with the Q. No need to thank me, the smile on your face will suffice!

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #4023
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saronkhye View Post
Hi, I have bought all the gear to the garter spring for the sprague clutch.
I followed instructions to remove stator, I do not have tools to take off flywheel outer nut. I tried 5 th gear brake on with no joy. I have the bolt in the case to lock out the motor but it has a little washer and is not long enough. If I get a longer bolt will this cause an damage to 2002 ktm640 adv. is there any other way of getting nut off. Also I found some small metal shavings near stator, is this normal, I intend on doing main bearing at same time. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Ron
If you have a 1/2" socket set make yourself a flogging spanner type device out of a couple of short extensions & a t-slider thingy. Tape it all together so it don't fly around the shed. 5th gear plus brake as you tried then give it a good smack with a BFH. Don't do this with your mechanic mate's expensive sockets Left hand thread remember.

Or make a flywheel holding tool. Or buy a compressor & air impact wrench.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #4024
dolphins13
orange rules

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDirt View Post

157.5 mj and removal of snorkel made my bike run great. With the exhaust mod you speak of. page 1 will tell you anything about your bike.
dolphins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #4025
beek-02
blazing a trail

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
I followed instructions to remove stator, I do not have tools to take off flywheel outer nut. I tried 5 th gear brake on with no joy. I have the bolt in the case to lock out the motor but it has a little washer and is not long enough. If I get a longer bolt will this cause an damage to 2002 ktm640 adv. is there any other way of getting nut off. Also I found some small metal shavings near stator, is this normal, I intend on doing main bearing at same time. Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Ron
Dewalt 18v impact driver has worked for me on pretty much everything and you don't have to worry about f'ing up your crank. The connection rod pin is pressed in and the web halfs are not clocked other than the surface tension that can be overcome with massive amounts of torque. Long story short your eccentricity could get tweaked it will be out of center and your bearings will fail prematurely. Jmo, also why it's a good idea to use the tool instead of putting it in gear and taking your chances. I've done this before and it does work but I also had a crank go out in an IT175 shortly after rebuilding it. I was still rather young/inexperienced and until now haven't really thought about that as the possible cause but it probably was.

Good luck
In my experience you can usually get the job done without the proper tools but they are almost always worth what they cost.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #4026
Jkils
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Does anyone have a good link to the WP Extreme 50mm RSU fork manual? Or a link to the manual for 98/99 640? I'm looking for some torque values, etc.

I'm in the middle of installing new fork seals.

The links I am finding are all dead...
Jkils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #4027
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,906
Quote:
Cheers
Ron
Two things.

Air impact, left hand thread so backwards brother.

Second thing, maybe somebody put the nut on with red loctite so heat it up a little with a heat gun or worst case a little propane.

Now it wll come off a little hot.
And no it's not right but it's being done.

I put mine together using the reverse and a quick rattle with 90 psi air(on and off).
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 06-19-2013 at 12:35 AM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #4028
Jkils
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkils View Post
Does anyone have a good link to the WP Extreme 50mm RSU fork manual? Or a link to the manual for 98/99 640? I'm looking for some torque values, etc.

Along the same lines. It seems the circlip holding in the seals is no longer being sold. Has anyone replaced one recently, or know where to get one?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #4029
Geekventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Question Stalling after fast left turn...

Hey all

My 2002 started stalling yesterday after I replaced my clutch cable.

For some reason on my commute home the bike seems to not be getting any fuel when I come out of a really long and fast (75-80 mph) left handed exit ramp. The first time it happened I thought it might have something to do with a shifting choke cable or even an electrical disconnect...but then it happened again in the same place going the same speed the very next day.

After puttering a little bit further...I can tell it's trying to get gas back by the way it sputters similar to when I'm running out of gas. I try to maintain a constant speed but it eventually dies. Dangerously sitting on the left side of the highway for 45 seconds and it starts right back up again.

To eliminate the empty tank theory, I filled it up this morning so I would have only put 50 miles on the 4.7 gal tank. I'm getting 45-48 mpg so that means ~ 1 gallon was gone at this point. That leaves 3.7 gallons inside the tank today when it happened again.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try the same sweeping ramp at the same speed with a completely full tank to see what happens.

Some other things I repaired:
  • I had to re-glue the breather hose onto the lockable gas cap because (plugged hole...possible vapor lock?)
  • I ran a second clutch cable next to the working one for a quick repair next time it snaps.

The petcock is on the left hand side of the bike (on position) so the only thing I can think of is that all the gas is sloshing to the right side (from the G-forces) and the petcock is sucking air?

Has this happened to anyone before?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #4030
FreeGranite
Nubile dirtrider

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkils View Post

This should do it. The first link is a good oneon the WP 5060 (50mm extremes). Pay no attention to the blue and yellow.
FreeGranite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #4031
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure View Post
Hey all

Some other things I repaired:
  • I had to re-glue the breather hose onto the lockable gas cap because (plugged hole...possible vapor lock?)
Are you sure it's open and a little glue didn't glop over and into the breather, and it's now clogged and/or restricted?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #4032
Jkils
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeGranite View Post
This should do it. The first link is a good oneon the WP 5060 (50mm extremes). Pay no attention to the blue and yellow.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #4033
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekventure View Post
For some reason on my commute home the bike seems to not be getting any fuel when I come out of a really long and fast (75-80 mph) left handed exit ramp.
Has this happened to anyone before?
I went through a period where my '00 was stalling frequently because it was starving for fuel. In my case it was generally after work but it would happen anytime the bike was parked in the heat of the day and I would get on as the day was cooling. It got worse with less fuel in the tank but it was way above empty. When I let it sit or checked the fuel level it would fire right up again.

The problem was the gas cap wasn't venting properly. Air in the tank would expand during the day and vent out but as things cooled the cap prevented air from venting back in creating a vacuum. The cap is easy to service. To take it apart just turn it upside down, press the top down a little and remove the small metal rod. There are two small check valves with thin rubber flaps. Once I cleaned these the problem went away for good.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #4034
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Hello,
Just bought an 06 with 3800miles, and the battery seems to die over night. so im thinking i need a new one? I still have power but not enough to start the bike.
I can get a good deal on Ballistic batteries, but have read some stuff that the battery can mess with something and the bike wont like it.

Any help would be cool. Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #4035
CuStOm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
This brake pedal is killing me! Does anyone know of a larger tip? Do any later model linkages fit?