Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #4141
beek-02
blazing a trail

Oddometer: 113
I think the consensus is pretty much 17/ 42 for the street and if you cut the chain right you can go to a 16 t front for more dirt and off-road stuff. I run a 16/39 for the street and open desert, it cruises nicely at 70 even on open desert roads. I run on the freeway to work though if I only ever had to go 60 and road more technical trees and hill climbs it might be different. Just because a ratio is right for somebody else doesn't make it right for you. Something to keep in mind. Carb I would suggest the mods to the bst40 first is much cheaper and most will be happy with them. To get more get yourself a fcr 41 for more street to end or a 39 for supposedly better throttle response for off roading. Also they make a performance air box cover for the bst carb, it's not necessary for the fcr as velocity and air pressure don't matter as much as with the bst to get good throttle response. You can make your own by tracing the inner plastic side cover that seals to the box onto a piece of sheet metal (al if you have it available) and cutting a 2"x2" or 3"x3" hole or somewhere in that realm toward the upper part of the cover plate. Also the stock exhaust can be restrictive so aftermarket, sxc, or modification will free up some revs. If you get that far and want more there is the 660 ralleye cam that will give you a bit angrier of a motor as well as some aftermarket that may not be available anymore. I would venture to bet a 65 hp lc4 is easily accomplished with the right combination. There was a hill climber that took them to around 700 cc and made 72 hp I think? Anyway you come to a good place these guys have been molesting these bikes for years now and a lot of them moved on to the 690 but there are some stubborn ones still hanging around.

Beek

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #4142
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Neutral light not working 640 E '03

Thought it'd be the switch but it doesn't seem to be the culprit.
I tried to see if it lit touching the engine with the green cable but no success.
Could it be just the led?
Any ideas of where else to look at?
All fuses ok, no other light not working.
By the way, there's a fuel reserve indicator on the dash -another led- that together with the oil pressure and water temperature I've never seen lit -luckily-.
Do these three work on your bikes?
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #4143
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonicu View Post
I tried to see if it lit touching the engine with the green cable but no success.
By the way, there's a fuel reserve indicator on the dash -another led- that together with the oil pressure and water temperature I've never seen lit -luckily-.
2005 640 Adventure.

Fuel reserve YES. The other two NO.

Broken/disconnected wire somewhere?

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #4144
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
How's the tachometer working?
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #4145
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Check the wires at the connectors under the dash, I've had mine break there - earth the sender end & wiggle everything to see if you have a bad connection. Mine had actually broken the wire inside the insulation, it took a while to find that one

Wiring in my new headlight setup a while back I tore out all the redundant wires from the EPC & sidestand switch which cleaned up the loom a little & made that sort of fault finding easier.

Fuel reserve light is a 640 Adv thing, not fitted to my 03 E anyway. Oil pressure light is not connected to anything. Water temperature light should work but you need to get it pretty damn hot. I've only seen mine when the fan thermoswitch failed in hot slow going.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #4146
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Thumb 640 tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
This is the kit I carry anytime I ride. I have assembled these tools over time with the intent of keeping it light and compact while still including everything needed for repairs short of a top end job. It handles all the normal maintenance tasks with the addition of a feeler gauge and "Creeper straw" for valve adjustments.
  • Cut off 5 mm hex key (valve covers)
  • Hex drive assortment: 1/4" square drive hex soocket, 4, 5, 6, & 8 mm hex; 8-10 flat (short & 3 1/2"), 5-6 flat, P1, P2 (short & 3 1/2")
  • CRKT mini knife
  • Sockets: 6, 8, 10, 13, & 19mm
  • 1/4" to 3/8" adapter
  • Thin wall 18mm spark plug socket (Allen brand fits the LC4)
  • 1/4" flex handle
  • 1" & 3" 1/4" drive extensions & universal
  • 5 1/2" long X 3/4" cheater (conduit)
  • Open end combination wrenches: 8/10, 10/11, 10/13, 14/17
  • KTM pliers
  • KTM axle wrench
I use a 1/4" drive because it is sufficient for anything that isn't put on wrong. I also carry: a couple of 8 1/2" tire irons, patch kit, and spare 21" tube in a fender bag for flats; a bicycle pump strapped to the top of the forks; spare clutch handle & cable; assorted cable ties; and a length of fence wire.

For multi-day trips I include a small multi-meter, electric tape, portable butane soldering iron & solder, 12 g wire, fuses, epoxy stick, chain tool, tow strap, spare shift lever, assorted nuts & bolts, spare head & tail light bulbs, and Locktite. I keep a copy of the wiring diagram on my smartphone.

Thanks Sparrowhawk! I will incorporate these into my growing kit!

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #4147
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Not sure if the 03 uses the same parts but my 2000 640A neutral light failed inside the bulb/indicator housing. So did my temp light and highbeam indicator. With the Neutral light you could wiggle the connections and make it light. The others just burned out. These indicators are all one piece, you can't replace just the bulbs. I'd pull them out and connect it directly to a battery to see if you can get them to light.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #4148
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
What do you use the piece of conduit for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
This is the kit I carry anytime I ride. I have assembled these tools over time with the intent of keeping it light and compact while still including everything needed for repairs short of a top end job. It handles all the normal maintenance tasks with the addition of a feeler gauge and "Creeper straw" for valve adjustments.
  • Cut off 5 mm hex key (valve covers)
  • Hex drive assortment: 1/4" square drive hex soocket, 4, 5, 6, & 8 mm hex; 8-10 flat (short & 3 1/2"), 5-6 flat, P1, P2 (short & 3 1/2")
  • CRKT mini knife
  • Sockets: 6, 8, 10, 13, & 19mm
  • 1/4" to 3/8" adapter
  • Thin wall 18mm spark plug socket (Allen brand fits the LC4)
  • 1/4" flex handle
  • 1" & 3" 1/4" drive extensions & universal
  • 5 1/2" long X 3/4" cheater (conduit)
  • Open end combination wrenches: 8/10, 10/11, 10/13, 14/17
  • KTM pliers
  • KTM axle wrench
I use a 1/4" drive because it is sufficient for anything that isn't put on wrong. I also carry: a couple of 8 1/2" tire irons, patch kit, and spare 21" tube in a fender bag for flats; a bicycle pump strapped to the top of the forks; spare clutch handle & cable; assorted cable ties; and a length of fence wire.

For multi-day trips I include a small multi-meter, electric tape, portable butane soldering iron & solder, 12 g wire, fuses, epoxy stick, chain tool, tow strap, spare shift lever, assorted nuts & bolts, spare head & tail light bulbs, and Locktite. I keep a copy of the wiring diagram on my smartphone.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #4149
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
What do you use the piece of conduit for?

I think he said it's for extra torque, an extension to go over the small ratchet/drivers.

That's a nice kit, I might replicate it myself.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #4150
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Swingarm

I'm removing the swingarm or trying to.

I removed the nut on the left side of the bolt and tried to push the bolt out from the left to the right side of the bike. No budge. So I put the nut back on (not all the way) and gave it a gentle tap with a rubber mallet. Still no budge. Right now the bike is laying on its right side with penetrating oil soaking in the recess where the nut was.

I read Creepers "Servicing the Swingarm" thread. It doesn't appear that I missed anything. Am I? It's stuck, right? Any tips?

Thanks,
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #4151
Tonicu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Thanks for the tips. I removed the front mask, wiggled here and there and also took a look to the ignition switch - which had all connections tight and in order - but the light kept unlit.
No problems with the dash, maybe just the led passed away.
I'll try with a fellow's bike, so as to see if changing the neutral switch helps.

Another question : will the rocker arms&shafts&roller bearings from a 01 non highflow 640 be the same as those for my '03?
They look very similar indeed, but are they the same?
Tonicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #4152
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

Another question : will the rocker arms&shafts&roller bearings from a 01 non highflow 640 be the same as those for my '03?

A quick microfiche search shows different part numbers for the 01 and 03 rocker arm assemblies. So I'd say no, but I'm no expert either.

Here's where I checked http://www.munnracing.com/
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #4153
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,392
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I removed the front mask, wiggled here and there and also took a look to the ignition switch - which had all connections tight and in order - but the light kept unlit.
No problems with the dash, maybe just the led passed away.
I'll try with a fellow's bike, so as to see if changing the neutral switch helps.

If earthing the wire from the sender did not trigger the neutral light the problem is unlikely to be the sender. Make sure it's working by checking for continuity between engine case & sender terminal when in neutral, & no connection when in gear.

Look up the wiring diagram (in the index 640E & 640 Adv have the same wire colours & basic layout, just the Adv has some extra stuff) find the neutral wire where it goes into the diode connector behind the dash, see if there is continuity between there & the sender terminal, & there & the appropriate pin on the dash connector.

I'd bet a beer that the problem is somewhere in the wiring rather than a blown LED

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #4154
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post

I removed the nut on the left side of the bolt and tried to push the bolt out from the left to the right side of the bike. No budge. So I put the nut back on (not all the way) and gave it a gentle tap with a rubber mallet. Still no budge. Right now the bike is laying on its right side with penetrating oil soaking in the recess where the nut was.

I read Creepers "Servicing the Swingarm" thread. It doesn't appear that I missed anything. Am I? It's stuck, right? Any tips?

Thanks,
Gerst

Maybe not so gentle on the tap with the mallet? I did mine a couple of years ago but didn't have any trouble, and can't remember the specifics of the procedure. Sorry.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #4155
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post

Thanks,
Gerst
Bigger hammer
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote