User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #4651
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
SXC Accessory Power

I've upgraded my stator to the Electrosport and it seems my dead battery issues are now history. Thank the Lord! Now I'm adding grip heaters, a power outlet and a GPS to my 04 SXC, plus LED'S on my HDB top plate to remind me that I've got things powered up that might drain the battery if I leave them on. I've read the stickies that pertain to my wants but seeing that I have a SXC there really isn't much there that applies to my scoot. What I need is advice to where to tap into power without doing damage.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #4652
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
(should be replaced each time unless you are a cheap bastard)
I resemble that remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Trevor is referring to the countershaft sprocket's pressure on the oil seal directly behind it - at least on the later model 640As the CS sprocket is held on by a bolt and spring washer....

Oil seal or o-ring?

On my 2003 model, the sprocket and spring washer push the sprocket and the sleeve that covers the counter shaft up against an o-ring between the bearing and said sleeve which spins inside the seal in the case. (think I typed that right) The o-ring seals the inside of the sleeve and the seal, the outside.

If the bolt comes loose, the oil will seep past the o-ring, under the sleeve, down the sprocket and lube your chain, pretty efficiently I might add. The good part, the sleeve can be replaced if the seal wears a grove in it, cheaper than replacing the whole CS shaft. If dirt gets under the seal, you can pull the sleeve, clean it and re-assemble.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #4653
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
I've upgraded my stator to the Electrosport and it seems my dead battery issues are now history. Thank the Lord! Now I'm adding grip heaters, a power outlet and a GPS to my 04 SXC, plus LED'S on my HDB top plate to remind me that I've got things powered up that might drain the battery if I leave them on. I've read the stickies that pertain to my wants but seeing that I have a SXC there really isn't much there that applies to my scoot. What I need is advice to where to tap into power without doing damage.
The battery is a great place.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #4654
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with the PO and he had done the same thing for his gps. Battery it is then.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #4655
supercoyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
On the topic of the electrosport, has anyone had trouble with them recently? I know they had a storied past, butI went ahead and bought one and tried installing it today. Now I lost spark. I heard that the old ones you needed to reverse a couple leads in the connectors, I was wondering if anyone knew what was the winning combination of wires as they come off the reg into the electrosport harness (seeing as that end of the connector is easier to rearrange I assume that's how most did it).

Otherwise, anyone have any ideas on how you could screw up the install of one of them? The bullet connector off the stator harness doesn't go anywhere does it?

When I started this project I told myself I had electrical figured out. Turns out I don't. Hive mind! Please help!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #4656
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Oil seal or o-ring?

On my 2003 model, the sprocket and spring washer push the sprocket and the sleeve that covers the counter shaft up against an o-ring between the bearing and said sleeve which spins inside the seal in the case. (think I typed that right) The o-ring seals the inside of the sleeve and the seal, the outside.

If the bolt comes loose, the oil will seep past the o-ring, under the sleeve, down the sprocket and lube your chain, pretty efficiently I might add. The good part, the sleeve can be replaced if the seal wears a grove in it, cheaper than replacing the whole CS shaft. If dirt gets under the seal, you can pull the sleeve, clean it and re-assemble.
You're probably right; I've never had trouble so haven't looked. My remark was based on memory of other's comments.

The new CS bolt (with encapsulated threadlocker) and spring washer are really, really cheap. Nobody should be that cheap, especially when they know the spring washer is a consumable - its spring pressure won't be the same the second, third, or (?!?) fourth time its used. This also assumes one is using a torque wrench too...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #4657
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
Yep, tap it right off the battery, through an inline fuse then a decent size wire up to a relay under the dash (I switched mine off the park light) then power all your doodads off that & you won't have to worry about leaving anything on.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #4658
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

What amp fuse did you use? Park light? Are you talking the small running Headlight?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #4659
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,190
I think I have a 20A fuse in there now as I tapped another relay off the first one to power high beam (stock wiring is pretty thin so you gain a volt or so & a bit of light) But before that a 15A fuse powered up the grips & the gps no worries, even 10A would probably be plenty.

Yep, the small running headlight, a 5W bulb IIRC (not sure if the SXC has the same?) IIRC I just soldered a wire off the back of it's loom end bullet connector, you could chop it off & crimp a fresh one on to the original feed & your new relay switch wire too. Not sure on the 625 but my 640's switchgear allows the lights to be turned right off, which will turn off all the gadgets if I want max power for a cold morning start.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #4660
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Yes Sir. The 625 can turn all the lights off. Thanks Clint.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:49 PM   #4661
stumpy-ktm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
battery dying from being on minder .....

ok , so I haven't really been riding the bike much , so bought a oxford 900 battery minder and wired it in ,..... charging the batt up and maintains it till you are ready to go ... battery is A motobatt dry cell ....it was only a coiple months old , ... tried to start bike today and all I got was a couple of turns of the piston ,, them whirr .....click click ...solenoid .... anyone else have any issues with the minders? .... yes yes I know I should just ride it and stuff .... but being a tad disabled makes it tough sometimes ..... .do these battery tenders kill the fibreglass impreg type batts?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #4662
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Hey Stumpy;
Battery tenders are usually a good investment. I'm not familiar with the Oxford, but it should only charge at about 1.25 amps for a trickle charger.
It's also best if it's a "smart charger" like the Battery Tender Junior that will shut down or maintain if the battery is charged.

I would test your battery. Even though it is only a couple of months old, it could still be dead.

If the battery is ok, then you will have to look further to find your starting problem............solenoid, starter.......etc.

Cheers
Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #4663
TaxMan

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoyote View Post
On the topic of the electrosport, has anyone had trouble with them recently? I know they had a storied past, butI went ahead and bought one and tried installing it today. Now I lost spark. I heard that the old ones you needed to reverse a couple leads in the connectors, I was wondering if anyone knew what was the winning combination of wires as they come off the reg into the electrosport harness (seeing as that end of the connector is easier to rearrange I assume that's how most did it).

Otherwise, anyone have any ideas on how you could screw up the install of one of them? The bullet connector off the stator harness doesn't go anywhere does it?

When I started this project I told myself I had electrical figured out. Turns out I don't. Hive mind! Please help!
i'm not going to be much help here, but figured i'd share my experience. I installed the electrosport stator in May and haven't had any issues once i got it in. I did have an install issue on the front end. It came with a bracket attached to hold wire coming off of it clear of the flywheel. however, on instruction from electrosport, i had to remove said bracket for the stator to seat correctly. it wasn't quite plug-n-play and i was nervous to put it all in without that bracket.

put it together, no problems. runs like a champ. did install a SHINDENGEN FH020AA REGULATOR/RECTIFIER from MOTOELECTRIX. had to fab a simple bracket to keep it in the stock position with the stock battery bracket. i also recently decided to trim a little of the seat pan away to get a little more clearance on top.

as far as i can tell, i haven't had any issues. i did install a cheap digital volt meter that seems to indicate that the voltage is all over the place and very low while i'm running (and lower at high revs), but i think it is a crap meter. (it doesn't help that i have it plugged in at the junction box under the dash rather than directly to the battery.) given that the bike is starting so much stronger and running fine, i haven't had any interest in messing with it further.

hoping that this is the end of my constant sprag clutch issues. it has been so far, so good. i think a strong battery is the key to avoiding damage to the sprag.

sounds like you might have received a bad unit. electrosport did get back to me relatively quickly, so as much as it sucks, you might want to see if they'll swap yours for a replacement. good luck sir!

off topic - riding outside of Stonyford CA this weekend, i had my bottom rad hose pop off and dump all of my water. turned out the hose clamp had vibrated loose. i feel lucky that is was such an easy fix. if you're reading this, go double check your hose clamps!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #4664
wvrocks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMan View Post

as far as i can tell, i haven't had any issues. i did install a cheap digital volt meter that seems to indicate that the voltage is all over the place and very low while i'm running (and lower at high revs), but i think it is a crap meter. (it doesn't help that i have it plugged in at the junction box under the dash rather than directly to the battery.) given that the bike is starting so much stronger and running fine, i haven't had any interest in messing with it further.
My voltmeter did this too until I wired the rectifier/regulator outputs directly to the battery. Voltage would drop when the revs went up and shoot up when you let off the throttle on the low beam, Mostly measured right with the high beam on. It was weird and probably had to do with all of the losses through the wiring harness and connections. Possibly the regulator was over regulating? The issue completely went away when I took the output out of the factory harness and went direct to the battery
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #4665
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy-ktm View Post
.do these battery tenders kill the fibreglass impreg type batts?
Check the manual of the charger to see if it is compatible with your battery type. It probably is. Lots of batteries are faulty when new. Warrant? Many shops will test a battery free. You can push or jump to get it going to take in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote