Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 AM   #601
mykrrrr
advenposeur

Oddometer: 54
Sorry for the newbie question...I hope someone here can help me diagnose the problems.

I recently bought a KTM 640 Adv from a fellow inmate. I've ridden it for like 500 miles since I got her and have loved every mile.

Brought the KTM in for scheduled maintenance (oil change, valve adjustment, basic once over) on Monday afternoon.
Tuesday afternoon I get a call saying it's ready to go.
When to pick up the bike today with my Dad (closest KTM dealer is like 40 miles away from me)

All seemed well until I got about 1/2-3/4 mile away and the idle started getting a touch rough. The idle was dipping down to like 1200 rpm.
It died @ a light and I couldn't get it re-fired. It would re-fire on the choke but it was up to like 3000 rpm and when I touched the throttle it'd die.
I noticed an electrical connection hanging down next to the carb so that might have had something to do with it.

Called the dealer and they sent out a mechanic to pick up the bike and bring it back. When he got there, it fired over like nothing was wrong.

They had another tech look @ it for about an hour and claimed it was all good. They rode it around trying to get it hot and re-create the problem but it didn't happen.

I took it and ripped up and down the street and it felt pretty strong so I thought it was good to go. Wrong.

I got about 2 miles down and it started bogging like it was starving for fuel or getting intermittent spark. It would occationally backfire as well.
The worst time was when I was holding a constant throttle @ 50 mph and it bogged really bad. I thought my Dad was gonna run right into me because it felt like I went down to like 40 really fast.

Called the dealer (20 min before they were to close luckily) and brought it back again.

Now it's @ the dealer and they're going to pull it all apart again and see what's wrong.

My ideas are:

Plug not gapped correctly.
CDI going bad.
Plug wire or cap faulty.
Bad gas (I hadn't filled it up since my trip to Ohio and she ran great the entire time down there so I really really doubt that could be a factor)

Thoughts?

mykrrrr screwed with this post 07-25-2008 at 08:32 AM
mykrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM   #602
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 24,701
I'd check the vent lines for the tank as well as the fuel lines for any kinks.

Also, have a look at the carbs. Maybe you got a piece of gunk logged into the idle jet.

Last, but knot least, you'll get much better exposure placing your thread/question into the Thumpers forum. This thread really is just and Index for finding many often discussed issues easily.

Good luck.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #603
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
You didn't state what year the bike is, but if it's a bike with the fuel pump mounted on the top rear of the crankcases, the most common issue with the symptoms you describe is a caused by a pinched vacuum hose.

The fuel pump is vacuum operated, that vacuum comes from a fitting on the right side of the intake manifold via a rubber hose. The hose is a bit on the soft and flexible side, so it can get "folded over" when the gas tank is re-installed.
The bike runs for awhile, then stops running, sits for awhile and fuel slowly creeps past the pump into the carb. Then it starts right up and runs again... for awhile.

The fix is to re-route, "adjust" the hose so that the fuel tank doesn't come in contact, and/or if necessary, replace the hose with a stiffer, less prone to kink rubber hose.

Or... bypass the fuel pump entirely, and never use the last two gallons of gas in the tank.

C
Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #604
mykrrrr
advenposeur

Thx NICO & Creeper.

It's an '03 and the fuel pump is off the back of the crankcase.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #605
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrrrr
Thx NICO & Creeper.

It's an '03 and the fuel pump is off the back of the crankcase.
Yep... I had a feeling it was an '03. Same year as mine was. Had the same exact issue. First time it happened, I was in the fast lane on the freeway that didn't have a left break-down lane... just concrete walls.
You should have seen me trying to make it across 4 lanes with a dead bike... semis blasting past me at 75 mph.

C
Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #606
mykrrrr
advenposeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Yep... I had a feeling it was an '03. Same year as mine was. Had the same exact issue. First time it happened, I was in the fast lane on the freeway that didn't have a left break-down lane... just concrete walls.
You should have seen me trying to make it across 4 lanes with a dead bike... semis blasting past me at 75 mph.

C
YIKES!!!!

So the dealer said they still think it was bad gas.

I trust you guys over these guys. Looks like I'm back to servicing my own vehicle again.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #607
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrrrr
YIKES!!!!

So the dealer said they still think it was bad gas.

I trust you guys over these guys. Looks like I'm back to servicing my own vehicle again.
Their diagnostic skills are... suspect.

Practically everything you need to maintain your bike can be found in the Index. More fun and satisfying for you, way cheaper... and more likely to be right than a dealer.

C
Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #608
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,178
So the management ran with my idea to make a Thumpers Table of Contents, at least partially, so that multiple stickies don't clog the first page. That's pretty good, and now more excellent threads can be stuck in a Sticky Index of sorts.

Anyways, it got me thinking, what are the indexes like in other forums. I took a look, and found the GSpot FAQ looked the most interesting. Any comments?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #609
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
... Any comments?
Too monochromatic.

Very well organized. Almost too well. Reading it, I almost feel as if I don't belong there. "Nothing to see here, Elsie-trash., Move along."

The thread is closed, rendering it but a FAQ page which is nice to have, but not as useful as the LC4 index. I haven't spent a helluva lot of time in the G-Spot area, but if I did and I used the FAQ I am sure I'd have additional questions/requests for clarification that would compel me to start a new thread anyway. Not a huge burden, but that's what I see.

"Our"
index affords us the chance to review the entire referenced thread, thus allowing us to hear the various opinions stated in the "life cycle" of that particular topic. Sometimes the final answer is one that does not apply to my problem, but one of the inmate entries/suggestions along the way may have been the right answer for me.

All in all, the G-Spot FAQ is a nice piece of work but, it really is apples & oranges when comparing to the LC4 Index.

Of course, Meat, if you had the time and inclination to create a similar FAQ page while maintaining the current LC4 Thread Index, well that would put you over the top in the world of LC4 Deities, IMVHO.

Thanks again, Meat, for all the work you put into this thing. It must be a serious PITA. You are slowly, steadily working your way toward the deserved fame reserved for very few. Melvin Dewey comes to mind. Yep, you are just like ADV's very own Melvin Dewey. Elite company, Paison.

One last thing, shouldn't one who has spent so damn much money on a highly advanced piece of artistic machinery such as a new Bimmer also spend the money to have it serviced professionally? Most would never need to know anything about the technical/mechanical aspects of their rides.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #610
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO

Of course, Meat, if you had the time and inclination to create a similar FAQ page while maintaining the current LC4 Thread Index, well that would put you over the top in the world of LC4 Deities, IMVHO.

Thanks again, Meat, for all the work you put into this thing. It must be a serious PITA. You are slowly, steadily working your way toward the deserved fame reserved for very few. Melvin Dewey comes to mind. Yep, you are just like ADV's very own Melvin Dewey. Elite company, Paison.

Good feedback NICO (I sense a disturbance in the force... something I've not felt for years... )

I might have the time and inclination, but I'm having trouble with motivation these days (I think it's mental ), so I doubt I am the one. Plus I am not a computer science professor (GSpot FAQ author) so I am probably not qualified... phew!

But ooooh, if I am reaching the level of contribution of Dewey (yes, I had to look) then damn I am doing something right!

BTW, I thought that his TOC should have been clickable. But yeah, monochrome makes me sleepy too.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 AM   #611
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
....BTW, I thought that his TOC should have been clickable....
Egg-Zachery. Not sure how to accomplish that one here, but it would be a nice feature.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #612
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Egg-Zachery. Not sure how to accomplish that one here, but it would be a nice feature.
I've pondered it, but without having the index split into as many posts... maybe I could ask the mods if there is a way to hotlink to spots within large posts.

I could do that with the next large update. Some good posts that need to go up, including a few how-tos.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #613
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,495
Me, too!

I wondered if you could embed standard HTML bookmarks, which could then be referenced with a hyperlink as usual. Even went as far as trying to find a vBulletin manual and checking some forums, but the first ones I found required a licence for access. I guess that may be to try to stop hacking.

We could also ask Baldy!

Not a professor but I do computer stuff for a living. "Usability" is a strong interest of mine.
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #614
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

beta testing ensuing here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7508212
Old 08-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #615
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Came across another FAQ page, this time for Husaberg:

http://www.husaberg.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

still poking about it but thought I'd give ya the link.