Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #811
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by the88tlc
glad to report that i found the head burp bolt.... it was a little harder to get to with tank on and everything assembled. but was a satisfying little burp it made, with some air, then a little blip of coolant.

i tightened it down, and it seems to run great and holding fluid level.

thanks again for all the how tos - rocker cover sealant (used hondabond ht and it worked great), valve adjustment, waterpump overhaul, radiator fan wiring, and brake line replacement.

I ran it around last night, the mandatory ride, and found that it runs great, ready for a summer of adventures!

Hah!

Hear that Chris and Meatpop!!

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM   #812
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laromonster
Hah!

Hear that Chris and Meatpop!!

Yes, indeed I do... so I went looking. My Owner's Manual (2003 LC4a) doesn't mention it, and neither does the LC4 Repair Manual... Maybe this is LC4 model/year specific?

but it did mention this: NOTE: Use only high-quality antifreeze (e.g. Shell Advance Coolant) for the cooling system. Might be useful for some if the Shell product is cheaper or easier to find than the (likely rebranded) KTM coolant.

So I checked the indexed coolant threads and came across an old post of mine that had another's post about a coolant bleed screw on a RFS head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpop in another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian 8
I don't know about the 640 but my 450 KTM has a air bleed screw on the head near the sparkplug to drain the air out after you start filling it, plus there is an air bleed screw on the right radiator right up on top.
I just changed my coolant; I ended up disconnecting a bunch of hoses and found that if I tipped the bike over (as far as I could) to one side and the other more would come out. Not sure why... maybe it helps drain the entire cooling system?

When you refill it the manual says on page 36 for the 2003 model year to run the bike with the cap off for a bit to top off but you will have to check the coolant level spec (10mm above the radiator internals inside the cap) when engine is COLD. Here is a copy and paste:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 LC4a owner's manual

Cooling system
Coolant is circulated by a water pump located in the engine. When the engine is cold the cooling liquid circulates only through the cylinder and the cylinder head. After the engine has reached its operating temperature (about 70C, 158F), the thermostat opens and the cooling liquid is also pumped through both aluminum radiators.

Air blowing in through the radiators cools the cooling liquid. The slower the speed of the motorcycle, the less the cooling liquid is cooled down. Dirty radiator fins also reduce the cooling efficiency.

If little or no air blows through the radiators, for example when riding through slow traffic or waiting at traffic lights, the coolant temperature will rise. If the coolant temperature rises to 85 C (185F), the fan 1 on the left radiator will switch on. This fan will provide additional air circulation through the radiator thereby preventing the cooling system from overheating.

! CAUTION !
The red cooling liquid temperature warning light 2 will begin to light up, if the cooling liquid temperature reaches approx. 110C and henceforth has exceeded its normal operating temperature.

Possible causes:

riding slowly with a large load at a higher air temperature: If possible increase your running speed, so that more air can blow through the radiators. Should the warning light still be on off after 300 meters, stop immediately, switch off the engine and look for other possible causes.

Too little cooling liquid in the system:
Let the engine cool down, and check the system for leakages. Also examine the cooling liquid level CAUTION SCALDING HAZARD! Do not drive on, until there is sufficient liquid in the cooling system. Go to your nearest KTM garage and get it seen to. If you drive with the cooling liquid temperature warning light on, you will cause even more damages to the engine.

The cooling fan on the left cooler is not working:
The cooling fan must be running, when the cooling liquid temperature is 110C and the ignition is on. If the fan is not working, and there appears to be sufficient cooling liquid, the only thing you can do is to drive on to your nearest KTM garage at the least possible engine load.

WARNING 
IF POSSIBLE, ALWAYS CHECK LEVEL OF COOLING LIQUID WHEN ENGINE IS COLD. IF YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP WHEN ENGINE IS HOT, USE RAG TO COVER THE CAP AND OPEN SLOWLY TO RELEASE PRESSURE.

A mixture of 60% antifreezer and 40% water is used as cooling liquid. How-ever, the anti-freeze protection must be at least -25 C (-13 F). Aside from antifreezing protection, this mixture also provides great corrosion protection which is why it must not be replaced by pure water.

! CAUTION !
FOR THE COOLING SYSTEM, USE ONLY HIGH-GRADE ANTIFREEZER (MOTOREX ANTI-FREEZE). USING LOWERGRADE ANTIFREEZE AGENTS, CAN CAUSE CORROSION AND COOLANT FOAMING.

Pressure induced by heating of the cooling liquid in the cooling system is
controlled by a valve in the radiator cap 3; a water temperature rising up to
120 C (248 F) is admissible, without fear of problems.

Checking the cooling liquid level
The cooling liquid should be 10 mm (0,4 in) above the cooling elements when the engine is cold (cf. diagram). In the event of the cooling liquid being drained, always fill the system before hand, then top off while the engine is running.

WARNING 
IF POSSIBLE, ALWAYS CHECK LEVEL OF COOLING LIQUID WHEN ENGINE IS COLD. IF YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP WHEN ENGINE IS HOT, USE A RAG TO COVER THE CAP AND OPEN SLOWLY TO RELEASE PRESSURE.
Then came across this one by inte (usually reliable poster):
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...40&postcount=3 where he says he bleed his coolant from...

EDIT: is it the cap (#65) over the temperature switch (#64)?

Strange the manuals don't mention it...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 06-10-2009 at 09:51 AM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #813
the88tlc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
625 sxc burp bolt

yes that is the bolt, #64, a short 10 mm. did not know there was something under this, what does that temp switch do?

i used an antifreeze , engine ice, and that s#$T is expensive! better work damn well, like chill my beer while i am riding.....

it would be great to summarize the preferred fluids - some threads did mention certain types antifreeze, oil (diesel engine oil 15-40 rotella is what i use), and brake fluid 3.0, chain oil, etc.

http://web.mac.com/bhartlieb/iWeb/bh...adv.logan.html
the88tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #814
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88tlc
yes that is the bolt, #64, a short 10 mm. did not know there was something under this, what does that temp switch do?

i used an antifreeze , engine ice, and that s#$T is expensive! better work damn well, like chill my beer while i am riding.....

it would be great to summarize the preferred fluids - some threads did mention certain types antifreeze, oil (diesel engine oil 15-40 rotella is what i use), and brake fluid 3.0, chain oil, etc.
Temp switch probably shunts coolant into the radiators eh? And temp switch on the radiators should control the fan.

Regarding preferred fluids (so much better than "the best" fluids nice job ) - there is one thread with plenty of info in the index on engine oil (read up), antifreeze is like oil (match specs and select top shelf product), brake fluid is easy (match specs) but there is a link to a brake fluid comparison in my suspension fluids thread (which covers those hydraulic fluids very well), and chain oil... argh, that usually gets ugly - check with your chain mfg's recommendations and you should be good to go.

Now let me say: DUCK!!!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 AM   #815
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Temp switch probably shunts coolant into the radiators eh? And temp switch on the radiators should control the fan.
No, the thermostat shunts coolant to the radiators.

The full description for #64 (2006 model) is "TEMPERATURE SWITCH VDO", and the diagram indicates to me it is either fit the switch, or the screw (plug) and washer. Pretty sure my '05 has the plug, hard to see with the tank on, but I don't remember an electrical wire terminating in that area.

Further study reveals #69 "TEMPERAT.-SENSOR WATER LC8 02" on the other side of the head, which looks more like my bike.

Part #32 on the radiator is "THERMOSWITCH 98 C FOR FAN 03" so yep, I'd say that triggers the fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #816
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
No, the thermostat shunts coolant to the radiators.

The full description for #64 (2006 model) is "TEMPERATURE SWITCH VDO", and the diagram indicates to me it is either fit the switch, or the screw (plug) and washer. Pretty sure my '05 has the plug, hard to see with the tank on, but I don't remember an electrical wire terminating in that area.

Further study reveals #69 "TEMPERAT.-SENSOR WATER LC8 02" on the other side of the head, which looks more like my bike.

Part #32 on the radiator is "THERMOSWITCH 98 C FOR FAN 03" so yep, I'd say that triggers the fan.
I was guessing the thermostat on the rad wouldn't be much good in deciding when to divert water into the rads... so that is probably still what that one does, but I am now learning there is more than one thermostat in the engine - why?

(should this be it's own thread?!? )
Old 06-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #817
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,211
Quote:
...but I am now learning there is more than one thermostat in the engine - why?

(should this be it's own thread?!? )
Ping Stephano, he'll be happy to start a thread about it.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #818
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Ping Stephano, he'll be happy to start a thread about it.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #819
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

we'll need to connect thermostats to gobs of unusable HP
Old 06-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #820
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
I was guessing the thermostat on the rad wouldn't be much good in deciding when to divert water into the rads... so that is probably still what that one does, but I am now learning there is more than one thermostat in the engine - why?
I think we may be talking at cross-purposes here.

There's no thermostat in the rads, and only one in the bike - mounted near the spark plug. "Thermostat" is a temperature-triggered valve in-line in the coolant system, usually with a fairly short heat path from the coolant in the cylinder head. Coolant in the head gets hot, heating the thermostat which opens allowing coolant to flow from the cylinder through to the rads... non-electrical.

The other things we were discussing were electrical switches that passively sense temperature, not valves (ie not thermostats in the vernacular). The signal is fed to some other electrical component (temperature gauge, rad fan).

Or am I completely missing what you mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #821
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,514
where is the LC4 Dash thread?
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #822
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
I think we may be talking at cross-purposes here.

Or am I completely missing what you mean?
My wife says the same thing... yep, I was being sloppy and grouping the thermostat and the fan switch.

TT, I don't know - ain't it in the index? Sorry, back to hardware upgrades
Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #823
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
where is the LC4 Dash thread?
I'm dashed if I know.

overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #824