Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #901
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,029
The fuse under the seat that controls the clock is also linked to the powerlet so it's good to test them with a voltmeter or replace with new to be certain they are good.....
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #902
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakkie
ok guys me again. Neutral light is dead and happy button will only work if the clutch is in... does this mean the neutral switch is broken?
More likely the wire than the switch. Trace & check (it should connect to earth in neutral) the wiring from the switch (just ahead of the front sprocket) back to the dash. Mine started flickering a while back & it turned out to be a broken wire at one of the plugs up front.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #903
bakkie
Wilddog

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz
More likely the wire than the switch. Trace & check (it should connect to earth in neutral) the wiring from the switch (just ahead of the front sprocket) back to the dash. Mine started flickering a while back & it turned out to be a broken wire at one of the plugs up front.

Cheers
Clint
thanks will give it a go
Old 08-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #904
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
WOW - changed out my front sprocket from the OEM 16 tooth to a 15 tooth tonight - The bike is a WHEELIE machine ! From 1st gear it lifts the front with maybe 75% throttle.

Wow I love this bike.

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #905
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 790
Hi,

I am new to the world of LC4's ( I have been riding a 950 Adventure for the past year) and I have just bought a '03 640 Adventure-R.

However I find the 640 a bit tall for me and wondered if anybody has fitted kouba links to their bike to lower it and if so how do they rate them.

cheers, Bob.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #906
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911
WOW - changed out my front sprocket from the OEM 16 tooth to a 15 tooth tonight - The bike is a WHEELIE machine ! From 1st gear it lifts the front with maybe 75% throttle.

Wow I love this bike.
There is a thread dedicated to wheelies on the LC4 - losiu is the OP and I believe it is indexed.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #907
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboneleg
Hi,

I am new to the world of LC4's ( I have been riding a 950 Adventure for the past year) and I have just bought a '03 640 Adventure-R.

However I find the 640 a bit tall for me and wondered if anybody has fitted kouba links to their bike to lower it and if so how do they rate them.

cheers, Bob.
There are numerous threads on lowering the LC4, some should be indexed, others should be easy to find with a google search (see Post #1 for how).
Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #908
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakkie
thanks will give it a go
This could have been its own thread, or you could have tried to find an existing thread that suited your problem.

This is not a spanking, just an FYI. Certainly you get the attention of many LC4 owners here in the index thread, but you should give the LC4 inmates a lil' credit - they do respond in other threads, alot.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #909
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Hi,

cheers, Bob.
I don't know how much this helps, but my 640 ADV has a 2" drop on it with lowering links taking the bike from its standard seat height of 37.5" to 35.5". I am not the tallest guy at 5'10 and I can JUST barely touch both toes down at the same time when stopped or I can just barely flat foot the bike with one foot at a stop - with a slight lean of the bike.

Here is a picture of how the bike sits LOWERED. It may be 'Low' for a 640A - but it still has over 10" of clearance and I have never bottomed it out -yet -.

My bike has Emig Racing lowering links on the rear.(http://www.emigracing.com/)

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #910
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coho911
I don't know how much this helps, but my 640 ADV has a 2" drop on it with lowering links taking the bike from its standard seat height of 37.5" to 35.5". I am not the tallest guy at 5'10 and I can JUST barely touch both toes down at the same time when stopped or I can just barely flat foot the bike with one foot at a stop - with a slight lean of the bike.

Here is a picture of how the bike sits LOWERED. It may be 'Low' for a 640A - but it still has over 10" of clearance and I have never bottomed it out -yet -.

My bike has Emig Racing lowering links on the rear.(http://www.emigracing.com/)
Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear
Old 09-01-2009, 04:11 AM   #911
Crom-o
Red Centre Rider

Oddometer: 319
Thumb

Quote:
Excellent, that's just what I wanted to hear
Bob,

I have a set of Emig Racing lowering links that I've just taken off my 2006 640 Adventure which I recently got. Not sure if they're the 1 1/8 or 2 1/4 inch ones, I'll measure them when I have a chance. I found being a fat bugger I was bottoming out a bit on some washouts etc. so I took them out and put the originals back in which fortunately came with the bike.

If you're interested in getting some feel free to PM me with an offer.
APC Rally 2011 RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726485
Crom-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #912
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
all you need is 2 toes-really
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #913
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
I have just bought a '03 640 Adventure-R.

Don't do it!!! They ruin the suspension action, esp. the latter half of travel. The bike has 0 clearance to the guard at full compression as standard; 2" links will try to put the wheel 2" through the guard... and is more likely to as they reduce the bottoming force by half. Check the index, finds some threads where it is discussed in detail. Here's one: Spring matching (2000 LC4) (meat, can that go in the index with a note "lowering links discussion, post #23-on", please? ta.)

I'm 5'7" and 145lbs, I bottomed it all the time and the ride was really poor - with only 1 1/8" Emig Links. Can't even begin to think how bad 2" links would be. Maybe if you are only going to pootle about then you may not notice the bottoming, but surely you would notice the crap suspension action. Koubalink have a warning in their FAQs about this. I reverted to the standard links and instantly noticed how stunningly better the suspension worked, yet barely noticed the slight rise in seat height at rest (did notice the extra ground clearance on the trails).

A better bet, and for similar money to buying the links, is to get the shock serviced and have the stroke spacers adjusted to reduce the travel without any ill effects. That same shock is used in a wide variety of LC4s with different travel - Adventure, Hard Enduro, Dukes?, various SuperMotards - so a suspension guru can reconfigure it to suit. There's a few on here if you need one.

Chances are good an '03 needs a shock service now anyway, so it's not like you are even going to spend any extra money to get it re-assembled with the spacers added/subtracted.

Signed,
The Voice of Dissent
The Stable

warewolf screwed with this post 09-03-2009 at 05:36 AM
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #914
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf
...meat, can that go in the index with a note "lowering links discussion, post #23-on", please? ta...
yeah - I've been buried in work (good burial) so I have not had an update in some time... not sure when I will get to it (November is looking better )
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #915
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
I don't recommend using lowering links because they really screw up suspension big time. Especially shock. It sits much more horizontally and preload has to be jacked up .
Find a good suspension shop and they will redo suspension. Many shops offer it. Aftershocks(they did my suspension), superplush etc.
Here is link to my thread about lowering bike by 2"
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470673

BTW, Aftershocks did it by backing off preload and compensating with much improved and tuned progressive compression damping. So, shims were changed, valving redone and no changes to spring or spacers. Phil has dyno in the shop which allows him to measure an effect caused by the changes. Plus experience

666 screwed with this post 09-03-2009 at 05:32 PM
666 is offline   Reply With Quote