User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #121
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,408
Great job MP.

Was thinking of a new GS, but hey... been twenty years since I did any dirt riding. A LC4 Adventure will be much easier to pick up

Didn't find any thread on gas mileage or how comfortable they on freeways for how long if you have to get somewhere ...to a rally for example.

Been searching cycletrader.com and not many there.
Dealer down the street says he won’t have any until April.

Anyone familiar with International Motorcycle Brokers Inc?
Any suggestion on where to find used?
Gorilla King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:29 AM   #122
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
A GS will be easier to find
A GS will do better on the freeway
A GS will get the same mileage (mine are close anyway)

Having said all that I love my 640 Adv but it’s an uncivilized opinionated scantily clad nymphet compared to the buxom soft warm inviting introitus the BMW Adventure offers

Damn. You better get both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King
Great job MP.

Was thinking of a new GS, but hey... been twenty years since I did any dirt riding. A LC4 Adventure will be much easier to pick up

Didn't find any thread on gas mileage or how comfortable they on freeways for how long if you have to get somewhere ...to a rally for example.

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #123
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Great job MP.

PM sent.

I think IMB Inc. has come up before - I think they are concerning at least (legit? ) and someone might have said they were a scam. But that is heresay...

Mileage depends on tuning, but should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 (unless you are IN the rally).

Comfort depends upon what you are used to and also setup. My 2003 with two counterbalancers really smooths out in the highway cruise range (~75); my longest trip was from the Bay Area to Kernville (east of Bakersfield) in two stints 3-4 hours at a pop: no problemo with the right mods.

If you need more info, start a new thread. I am not sure all La Familia come in here all that often (least not to the end of the thread).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #124
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I am not sure all La Familia come in here all that often (least not to the end of the thread).

Here? Never.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #125
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly
A GS will be easier to find
A GS will do better on the freeway
A GS will get the same mileage (mine are close anyway)

Having said all that I love my 640 Adv but it’s an uncivilized opinionated scantily clad nymphet compared to the buxom soft warm inviting introitus the BMW Adventure offers

Damn. You better get both

Buy both is excellent advice!
Unfortuantly, retired, on a fixed income, no pensions...if I thought about this whole motorcycle thing intellectually instead of emotionally, clinically, analytically with a modicum of objectively, I would sell both my bikes and just get a GS....gas mileage, insurance, maintenance and such.

However, you will pry my K-bike out of my hands only under the threat of severe force.
Gong to have to sell a really clean R1100SA SE as it is…probably. I’ll start to advertise it tomorrow or maybe Friday…week from Tuesday.

It’s the wife thing, friend, lover and business partner. She has made a “sell one to get one” stand. Two road bikes is overkill anyway...I suppose.

Thinking a lighter bike would be better to bring my skill level up anyway and if the LC4’s are that hard to find, must be easier to sell, if I decide that dual sporting is not for me.

Probably should just buy a KLR… the Kawi just doesn’t speak to me I guess.

introitus?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #126
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
If you already have a BMW, or a few of them, then by all means get an LC4.
They are fun and, to me, there is a big enough difference between the two to cover pretty much anything I want to ride

I dont know that they are hard to find. They may be officially imported this year. They were not last year and were limited in numbers.
There are a few on the used market and usually with pretty low miles (3k). Mine was past that two weeks after I got it but I will ride it into the ground and likely be buried with it.

Watch out for Creeper and sniper kittie. He has inhaled a lot of Krylon Fusion and a pussy with a rifle is just scarey

Quote:
Buy both is excellent advice!
Unfortuantly, retired, on a fixed income, no pensions...if I thought about this whole motorcycle thing intellectually instead of emotionally, clinically, analytically with a modicum of objectively, I would sell both my bikes and just get a GS....gas mileage, insurance, maintenance and such.

However, you will pry my K-bike out of my hands only under the threat of severe force.
Gong to have to sell a really clean R1100SA SE as it is…probably. I’ll start to advertise it tomorrow or maybe Friday…week from Tuesday.

It’s the wife thing, friend, lover and business partner. She has made a “sell one to get one” stand. Two road bikes is overkill anyway...I suppose.

Thinking a lighter bike would be better to bring my skill level up anyway and if the LC4’s are that hard to find, must be easier to sell, if I decide that dual sporting is not for me.

Probably should just buy a KLR… the Kawi just doesn’t speak to me I guess.

introitus?

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #127
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Reorganization (phase I) Completed

Soooo..... I did it. Well, the first draft is up and ready for comments. I need to know what should stay in Post #1 and what should drop into Post #2. I did some first round cuts, and started to get crazy with the cuts and pastes and thought that perhaps folks would care to comment before I devoted too much time down a bad detour.

So please Give me some guideance. What would you like to see in the index's Post #1 vs #2 and any other feedback (organization etc.).

Thanks

Old 01-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #128
creeper
Still alive...

Hey Meat...

Now that I've had a chance to look at what you've done lately, the simple fact that you've taken the time to search out and organize the threads and links in THE INDEX into anything at all is a huge bonus to anyone looking for information.
Any additional organization or categorizing you do is just more frosting on an already very tasty cake.

I might be goin' out on a limb here, but I think it's safe to say that what you've done is developed a "single point of entry" source for LC4 information that is not available anywhere else on the internet.
Anyone with an LC4, who doesn't know about this Index, is at a distinct information disadvantage.

Creep
Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #129
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Soooo..... I did it. Well, the first draft is up and ready for comments. I need to know what should stay in Post #1 and what should drop into Post #2. I did some first round cuts, and started to get crazy with the cuts and pastes and thought that perhaps folks would care to comment before I devoted too much time down a bad detour.

So please Give me some guideance. What would you like to see in the index's Post #1 vs #2 and any other feedback (organization etc.).

Thanks

Lookin' good! I think you have it well in hand. I can't think of any kind broad enough categories to separate all the threads into two 'distinct' posts. Anybody looking for something will just have to review both.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:32 AM   #130
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Thanks fellas; it's great to be appreciated!

Phase I is almost complete; Phase II is in motion (thanks to a lil' birdy ).

Question: are items such as steering dampeners "optional"? Many work without them (even if they would be better off with them), some would consider them indispensable. Same could be said of items such as GPS units etc. Thoughts?

Just to keep this about for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP elsewhere
ok, just a bit more info; I was too tired to deal with this last night. This is the process I have started on the index Reorganization. We are in Phase I:

Phase I - Splitting the Index into "essential" and "optional?" Your choices or ideas would be of help here (I don't want to be dictator).

Phase II - Reformatting the Index into a more logical format; my current idea is to organize the posts based upon components (wheels, suspension, chassis, cockpit and controls, bodywork, and other?). Your ideas would be of great help to me.

Phase III - Beautification of the Index. This is an optional phase, one that may take some time. But I was considering improving the index to make it more pleasurable to use (no Loaded, no pron...). This may include embedding URLs into text, and other eye candy. Again your input would be of great help.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:05 AM   #131
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:

Question: are items such as steering dampeners "optional"? Many work without them (even if they would be better off with them), some would consider them indispensable. Same could be said of items such as GPS units etc. Thoughts?
Given the nature of the bike, I think it's a tool that's needed and some may wonder what others are using to help in there decision making, jmo.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #132
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boejangles
Given the nature of the bike, I think it's a tool that's needed and some may wonder what others are using to help in there decision making, jmo.
That is the general consensus rattling around in my head from what I have read. So in that case it would be prudent to place the topic in the "essential" Post I part if for no other reason then to relay this consensus to n00bs who would benefit from the FYI. That is where my head is right now anyways. I can't think of a drawback to considering it essential; its not a sixth gear or something...

In my case ("what others are using to hep in their decision making"), it is purely an economic consideration that is excluding this mod from my bike currently. I will have one eventually, since I think it would help in long days/trips with fatigue and also add a touch of saving grace in certain situations. I suppose in other's cases it could be technical reasoning, however I cannot fathom any validity short of "I ride this bike like your grandma".

Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #133
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Looks good to me...still catching up...forks, counter balancing, seats
...ahh where did you put the dancing girls?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #134
creeper
Still alive...

My thoughts on dampers, mufflers, carbs, suspension et all... is that you could go one of two ways.
Aftermarket stuff... accessories, which didn't come with the bike originally would go into a separate "upgrades" chapter, which could be broken down even further into sub-catagories.
It would be like a bike break-down all over again, but with nothing but aftermarket mods.

Or... Lump the stuff in with the OEM bike work, and sub-catagorize at the end of each with a "mods and upgrades" section.

It's all relative Meat... if it takes 2 minutes of looking or 5, I can still find what I need to find in The Index... and that's what matters.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #135
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

OEM vs. aftermarket major groups with subdivisions... nice another great suggestion creeper.

Gorilla King, those may be found in a "General Shoot the Shiz" thread that were moved to JM. Yes, it is indexed.