ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #1441
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
You didn't, & neither did that website.

If your USB device is getting 0.5A @ 5V that = 2.5W, at 12V that = 0.21A, take about 70% efficiency for the transformer, = 0.3A, so it will draw 0.3A/h at 12V. 8A/h / 0.3A/h = 26.6 h to flat. Depending on the voltage requirement of the charger you will probably get less, & you'll definitely be folding out the kicker after only a few hours.

Cheers
Clint


Excellent - someone who knows, and thanks for the tutorial on why the .7 factor (that'll stick in my head). So you get about a day until the battery is dead, that is still a long time, but (more importantly):

1) how long until the battery would be questionable for electric starting?

2) and how long until you begin damaging the battery?

I hear lead-acid batteries don't like to be run down and charged up.
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #1442
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post
shameless self promotion....

BST-40 Bible

laters,

laramie
Hey your thread is almost the top of Page 1! Why promote it?
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #1443
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post


Excellent - someone who knows, and thanks for the tutorial on why the .7 factor (that'll stick in my head). So you get about a day until the battery is dead, that is still a long time, but (more importantly):

1) how long until the battery would be questionable for electric starting?

2) and how long until you begin damaging the battery?

I hear lead-acid batteries don't like to be run down and charged up.
I can verify that the battery in my LC4 is toast from a faulty gps charger that over drained it one to many times. I would suggest 8 to 10 times is all it took to kill the AGM battery in my bike.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:23 AM   #1444
ericswede
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I can verify that the battery in my LC4 is toast from a faulty gps charger that over drained it one to many times. I would suggest 8 to 10 times is all it took to kill the AGM battery in my bike.
Thats why I want to hook the charger so it will only charge when driving :)
The phone does have its own little battery that will last a couple of days in "standby armed mode".

The apps are coming together, GPS tracking is working perfectly, I can get a lock even indoors, and if someone tilts the bike about 10 degrees(adjustable), example: takes it of the sidestand and put it in upright position, it triggers a call to my phone. Just some minor adjustments left.

So I will connect the charger in paralel to the rear light, any nej-sayers?
ericswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #1445
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,922
I had mine hooked up so it was only working when with the key on.
It still killed the battery the LC4 stator does not put out enough to charge a battery at idle. Its takes enough RPM to make it walk across the floor on the center stand to charge.
That is with headlight and LED tail light only when I measured it.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 AM   #1446
ericswede
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
I had mine hooked up so it was only working when with the key on.
It still killed the battery the LC4 stator does not put out enough to charge a battery at idle. Its takes enough RPM to make it walk across the floor on the center stand to charge.
That is with headlight and LED tail light only when I measured it.
I guess its a good thing I dont drive around at idle RPM then ;)
ericswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #1447
liferider
Never It's enough
 
liferider's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Patagonia
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
It's likely that the problem is carb related... It could even be due to how the bike is jetted verses elevations being ridden...

I would suggest pulling it apart for a good cleaning... Check the condition of the jet needle and needle jet for wear and that it has the proper shim/washer assembly + clip position... Pay particular attention to cleaning the pilot circuit from the air intake jet on the filter box end of the carb to the pilot jet, pilot fuel and the bleed holes by the butterfly valve....Blow air through the system to make sure that there are no blockages..

Check float height position {parallel} and also check the condition of the rubber tipped float needle for ring wear... It is possible that the float needle wear or float seat o-ring wear is letting to much fuel into the float bowl causing the poor engine performance below half throttle...

If every thing checks OK and they are riding higher than normal elevations try lowering the jet needle{moving the clip away from the pointy end} a clip position and see if it gets better...

Good luck...
David.
David,
You aimed just right: it was the float height position, letting too much fuel into the float bowl...

Thanks for your omnipresent desire to help.
A hug from Patagonia.
__________________
'Long Life to Dirt Riders'
__________________________________________________ _______
Argentina-Chile-Peru - Home of the Dakar ... again ... and again... and again!
liferider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #1448
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes
 
wrk2surf's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
Oddometer: 6,221
he is the man!
__________________
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #1449
Bushmaster271
BigSky Adventurer
 
Bushmaster271's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 25
Question 99 lc4 ?

Hey guys, just found a 99 lc4 for sale with 2000 miles. It is said to be in excellent condition and has touratech hard bags. I don't know much about that particular year so I'm open to your input. He has it priced at 4k obo. Thanks

Bushmaster271 screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 07:19 PM
Bushmaster271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #1450
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Luis Obispo - 58 229 & 1
Oddometer: 738
We will need a little more info than that to go on!
__________________
Matt - SikMoto www.Facebook.com/SikMoto San Luis Obispo, CA
SikDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #1451
cjm1219
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cjm1219's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Medford Oregon
Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster271 View Post
Hey guys, just found a 99 lc4 for sale with 2000 miles. It is said to be in excellent condition and has touratech hard bags. I don't know much about that particular year so I'm open to your input. He has it priced at 4k obo. Thanks

Is it a enduro, adventure or sumo? Seems a little high for the price, but I am not an expert. I bought a 2000 enduro 2 months ago for $2k with 7400 miles. Mine is not excellent as it has some scratches and a little fading on the plastics but the motor and everything else is good. I would try to talk him down a least a grand. These bikes a whole lot of fun and worth every penny I have spent on it so far.
cjm1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #1452
HydroDog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Mossyrock, Wa
Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster271 View Post
Hey guys, just found a 99 lc4 for sale with 2000 miles. It is said to be in excellent condition and has touratech hard bags. I don't know much about that particular year so I'm open to your input. He has it priced at 4k obo. Thanks
My guess this is the one you are talking about?http://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/2290216505.html

I pick up a one just like it last Oct. for $3K. It had 1900mi. and looked like it rolled off the showroom with 2 new tires thrown in but no boxes. Would recomend buying one?

If you go look at it, ask the owner if the mainshaft bearing has been updated.
__________________
08 Buell Ulysses
07 GasGas 300
02 MZ Skorpion Traveller
99 KTM 640e
HydroDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 AM   #1453
flying_low
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 7
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroDog View Post
My guess this is the one you are talking about?http://montana.craigslist.org/mcy/2290216505.html

I pick up a one just like it last Oct. for $3K. It had 1900mi. and looked like it rolled off the showroom with 2 new tires thrown in but no boxes. Would recomend buying one?

If you go look at it, ask the owner if the mainshaft bearing has been updated.
Hi,
I have a 99 LC4, bought with a few more miles on it than the one yu are talking about. Absolutely brilliant bike for dirt and trail, and maybe a bit f road transfers inbetween, but cannot stress enough how inportant it will be to get that mainshaft bearing checked out. I wish i had asked exactly this question because after putting 4000k on mine, this is what happened, (see link below) and it will cost me half of what the bike cost me to fix.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=e6db2514dc


Almost unbelievable how bad it caused damage. Just glad the rear wheel didn't lock up on me completely because i was doing 120km/h at the time ... it jut shut off and rolled to a stop.

Check the mainshaft bearing.... and good luck!
flying_low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #1454
flying_low
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 7
Cry 99 LC4 E new/secondhand engines availability?

Hi,

Anyone here know of anyplace that might be able to supply a new or secondhand motor?
Debating with the cost of repairs (new cylinder, crankshaft, piston, bearing etc etc) .. and asked at a couple of dealers that i have access to (Dubai, Germany and denmark) but am told tht KTM dont supply this engine complete anymore.. and that i have to buy it in parts.
Just wonderong/hoping there might be someone who has some older stock, or other bikes that have been put out to pasture and theres an engine somewherein a back room??

any ideas?
thank you you wonderful people!

Stay safe!
flying_low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #1455
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper
 
gunnerbuck's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: N.V.I, B.C.
Oddometer: 3,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_low View Post
Hi,

Anyone here know of anyplace that might be able to supply a new or secondhand motor?
Debating with the cost of repairs (new cylinder, crankshaft, piston, bearing etc etc) .. and asked at a couple of dealers that i have access to (Dubai, Germany and denmark) but am told tht KTM dont supply this engine complete anymore.. and that i have to buy it in parts.
Just wonderong/hoping there might be someone who has some older stock, or other bikes that have been put out to pasture and theres an engine somewherein a back room??

any ideas?
thank you you wonderful people!


Stay safe!
Pretty tough to find any deals on new engines... Ebay has quite a selection of parts if your willing to gamble on used stuff to build a second engine...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014