Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
More obscure bike protection - radiator, rear brake reservoir, voltage regulator?

So, obviously we all know handguards, crash bars, etc. are necessary but I am looking for someone who has actually damaged their radiator, rear brake reservoir or voltage regulator in a crash OR someone who would have damaged one of those 3 if they HADN'T already installed guards.

I don't want to have a fit of random unnecessary farkle addition when I could spend that money on something more essential, like gas for an adventure!

Thx
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Hey Manventure you're back!

Here's the rear reservoir "fix":

Head down to your local bicycle shop and ask for a rear reflector seatpost mount. 28.6mm dia. I believe. Look for the double bolt one like above and use the hardware it comes with. They usually have a bunch kickin around and will give 'em away for free.

I've had mine this way for over a year now and it's great. I figure BMW saw my bike and changed the 2013s to mimic that. (yeah right).

I figure since you've bought all of our parts I owe you that tip

Personally I think those protectors mentioned are all overkill/waste of money.

I've never had a problem with my rad but maybe if you're swamp buggy racing?

**Oh just remembered that I think you have the F650 which doesn't have the plastic rad guard the F8 does.**

The regulator/rectifier guards are really only covers it seems. Not really gonna do much I think. I doubt you're gonna break a rib off rather the whole thing will bend in. None of the guards I've seen will reinforce for that. If I were to do one it would but I think it's pointless.

Anyone...am I wrong?

Of course the 2013s are now horizontal.

Maybe there's a reflector bracket for that? Or maybe...

Let's hear from the collective.

Dave
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Manventure OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Yeah, we adopted a fantastic little baby boy in June and the last 9 months have been a bottle and diaper laden blur devoid of any meaningful bike riding.

However I am gearing up for a WABDR run in the late summer and hopefully a few 2-3 day trips between now and then so I am putting a few final farkles on the bike.
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey Manventure you're back!

Here's the rear reservoir "fix":

Head down to your local bicycle shop and ask for a rear reflector seatpost mount. 28.6mm dia. I believe. Look for the double bolt one like above and use the hardware it comes with. They usually have a bunch kickin around and will give 'em away for free.
**Oh just remembered that I think you have the F650 which doesn't have the plastic rad guard the F8 does.**

The regulator/rectifier guards are really only covers it seems. Not really gonna do much I think. I doubt you're gonna break a rib off rather the whole thing will bend in. None of the guards I've seen will reinforce for that. If I were to do one it would but I think it's pointless.

Anyone...am I wrong?

Of course the 2013s are now horizontal.

Maybe there's a reflector bracket for that? Or maybe...

Let's hear from the collective.

Dave
Dave:
Is the stock hose on the rear reservoir long enough, or does it need to be swapped out when relocating.......

If I had F800GS I'd likely have figured the stock plastic guard good enough, but having a naked F658GS I figured I should have something up there ...

I'm with you, I can't see any reason for an R/R guard ... it appears to me at least to be a pretty beefy aluminum heat sink heavy wall thickness ... not likely to be damaged.

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 04:50 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,476
Until they come up with "shields" like the Enterprise, I'm saving all my protection money for that one part I will eventually break. My 800 was dumped hard by the previous owner and the rad mounts broke. It has been cable tied that way for 40K kms now and a recent inspection showed no ill effects. BMW now sells a repair kit I may one day attempt. There are enough parts in the Flea Market to replace whatever you broke and much cheaper than new. The model is older now so there are many wrecks out there to scavenge from as well.

With all the 800 owners going with an aluminum rad guard, get yourself the plastic stock one for your 650. Motorfiets has one in the FM now. I put one on the GF's 650 and IIRC, I cut off the lower tabs and cable tied it in. The top bolts in like the 800. It'll protect the rad from all but the biggest rock that may destroy an aluminum one anyway. If you want hardcore, get your wallet ready. If you ride sensibly then moderate protection will be your insurance. If you're going hundreds of miles from civilization then maybe there's a small chance one of your farkles will save you. I'd rather buy a SPOT myself but YMMV.

I've gone and bought a set of wrecked body panels for my GS. I'll repair it and paint as required so I can hang my pristine panels in the garage. It was cheaper than all the crash bars etc. I don't care about looks, it's a GS and I use it as such. Aint neva been to Starbucks. When I'm ready to sell (never), I can make it look new again.

To each his own.

As it says on my wall (and applies to my GS as well):

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming "HOLY CRAP what a ride!"
Old 03-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
So, obviously we all know handguards, crash bars, etc. are necessary but I am looking for someone who has actually damaged their radiator, rear brake reservoir or voltage regulator in a crash OR someone who would have damaged one of those 3 if they HADN'T already installed guards.

I don't want to have a fit of random unnecessary farkle addition when I could spend that money on something more essential, like gas for an adventure!

Thx
Buy the plastic guard from an F800, zip tie your rear brake resi out of the way for the trip and call it a day. Good quality hand guards and whatever luggage you have will take the brunt of any minor tip overs or crashes.

I did the WA and OR BDR doing just that with no problems. Even low sided going about 40 in the dirt with no ill effects.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Dave:
Is the stock hose on the rear reservoir long enough, or does it need to be swapped out when relocating.......

If I had F800GS I'd likely have figured the stock plastic guard good enough, but having a naked F658GS I figured I should have something up there ...

I'm with you, I can't see any reason for an R/R guard ... it appears to me at least to be a pretty beefy aluminum heat sink heavy wall thickness ... not likely to be damaged.
Hey JRWooden!

Yes the stock hose is long enough and it tucks in on the outside right next to the hard line there. If I remember correctly there wasn't quite enough room with the chain guard to put it on the inside. I had the whole thing done in about a minute.

Good tips above for modifying the F800 plastic rad guard for the F650!

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 10:51 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
I've got the adventure cases on mine and the racks offer a lot of protection to the rear MC resevoir. Aside from something getting wound up in the tire, I don't see a lot of risk in the stock position, but a simple move like Dave's is not a bad idea. I may look at doing that anyway. I hate the location of it since it has to be unmounted to access it for re-filling. Even though that's a once a year for flushing thing, it still seems dumb.

I did upgrade my rad screen to an Altrider aluminum one after completeing the low fender-ectomy. There's significantly increased risk of errant stones off the fron tire now so I figured a bit sturdier guard was worthwhile. In stock form, I would have been content with the original plastic screen. TT also sells the rad reinforcment bit, but I think a good set of crash bars will negate the need for that and do so much more.

As for the rectifier guards - bling with no substance.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Hey JRWooden!

Yes the stock hose is long enough and it tucks in on the outside right next to the hard line there. If I remember correctly there wasn't quite enough room with the chain guard to put it on the inside. I had the whole thing done in about a minute.
Dave
Thanks Dave!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
...I am looking for someone who has actually damaged their radiator, rear brake reservoir or voltage regulator in a crash OR someone who would have damaged one of those 3 if they HADN'T already installed guards.

I cannot see how those "guards" are needed if you have crash bars. At least, that's been my experience with SWMotoTech bars. The OEM plastic radiator cover protects well against flying debris; mine has little nicks in it and nothing has ever gone through. There are photos on here of the effectiveness of the radiator OEM breakaway points, so why would someone want a hard connection that could break the radiator on impact? Neither of the two brake reservoirs have been torn off in my falls. The crash bars do their job along the entire side of the bike, at least back to the passenger pegs.

Some more silly farkles are the aluminum chain guard and sliders for the wheels. I've bought a few of their products, but the Touratech catalogue should keep you laughing (or in debt) for a while.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Aint neva been to Starbucks.
Yeah, but how about Tim Horton's, eh?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
Yeah, but how about Tim Horton's, eh?
Busted!

It's a staple on long trips. Fill the gas tank, Large DD and an egg n bacon bagel for me. Good for hours. It's not a real town unless it has a Timmies. Wifi, bathrooms and always some old guy wanting to tell you stories.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Mtl_Biker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Absolutely with you on that!

On my last trip to the Cabot Trail Timmies with their free WiFi was my only way to keep in touch as my cell provider (Rogers/Fido) didn't have any service there. And there's a free app that lets you find the closest Tim Horton's when you're travelling. And they've always been biker friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
It's a staple on long trips. Fill the gas tank, Large DD and an egg n bacon bagel for me. Good for hours. It's not a real town unless it has a Timmies. Wifi, bathrooms and always some old guy wanting to tell you stories.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
Reaver
Outta Here

F Rogers!

Sorry kids. Did an awesome East Coast Tour last Sept. No Rogers service for most of it. My BMW Waterproof bag that was included with my Tourance jacket completely sucks and killed my phone. Might as well have been a sponge. No service, no phone anyway.

So, to stay on topic, you want protection? Get a zip lock pouch for your delicate electronics and forget about the BMW quality waterproof gear.

Don't get me started. Cabot Trail Rocks!