Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
JAB OP
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
LED's and flashers, again

I know this is almost a weekly topic, but I am easily stumped. Added
LED turn signal lights to replace incans. Found and bought an electronic flasher that does not need a load to work. The rear turn signals work fine, the front signals sort of work, but instead of on-off-on-off they just change intensity, dim-bright-dim-bright. Before the change, the front lamps (LED) with the incan lamps on the rear, worked fine with a standard bimetal flasher. I am just not sure why the fronts stay partially lit. Any ideas?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,115
You need more load on the front. Is the no load flasher for LEDs or is it generic use?
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
JAB OP
Unsprung Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
You need more load on the front. Is the no load flasher for LEDs or is it generic use?
It is a generic flasher rumored on the innerwebs to work with LED's.
That would be an FL32/equivalent flasher.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Take the connectors apart on one of the LEDs,hold an incandescent in there and see if they work right. Your new ones could have a load resistor built in.
If that doesn't work,put your old rear turn signals in line at the rear and see if that clears it with the new flasher. Normally I'd suspect back current,but these are LEDs...they shouldn't back flow.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
It is a generic flasher rumored on the innerwebs to work with LED's.
That would be an FL32/equivalent flasher.

There's your problem, you need a no load led flasher.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
JAB OP
Unsprung Weight

Well, I guess I will have to try one of the LED specific ones.
It's just weird to me that one LED will cycle as it should and the other lamp kind of glows like it has to discharge. Oh well, off to the parts store. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #7
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 479
Here's the deal:
I installed LED turn signals on my Quota. I bought a LED Flasher Relay (works great, installed in seconds plus an additional ground wire) for a Chevy off ebay. When I hit the flashers all the the flashers flashed at once. WTF? If your turn idicator light has 2 bulbs (left/right) then my Turn signals would have worked great,. Quota has one bulb for turn signals. Quick(not pernament) solution, removed turn indicator bulb.
Pernament solution is either add 4 resistors or add a LED bulb with an additional ground.
So boys and girls what have we learned today. LED flashers + LED flasher Relay, your flashers might not still function properly without additional "load". You can read a thousand posts about LED turn signals and never seem to get a total picture. I am at times electrical challenged. It's a great upgrade.

good luck,
Les
Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 160
Wink

www.superbrightleds.com has several versions (bare wire, bullets, plug-n-play connector) of an electronic flasher relay for about $9. My V-Star 650 needed a flasher after switching the front pair of 1157 bulbs for LED turn signals. I bought the bullet connector relay even though I knew it wouldn't fit; my harness takes blade connectors. When it showed up, I lopped off the bullets and crimped on 1/4" blade connectors. Plugged in the flasher and they work great!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
JAB OP
Unsprung Weight

So I got the LED specific flasher and installed it. The function is better, but I still get a little bit of glow on the front lights. If I add a incan test light to it, it will not glow and work as it should. Guessing there is a funky connection on a ground somewhere. If I try to add an indicator lamp, I find that the flasher is cycling all of the time. So my turn signal switch is acting as a selector and the flasher just blinks no matter what. Or it starts to work if it has the just the load of a single bulb on it.
Still not sure it's right, but it is bright enough to work and I will keep at it
till either it's perfect or no longer works.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Here is what I did to fix LED problem on a Yamaha TW200 when the LED flasher unit still failed to make things blink correctly.
http://tw200forum.com/forums/99574/ShowPost.aspx
You are getting a "backfeed" of power thru the indicator bulb that installing 2 directional IN4004 diodes and/or some circuit rewiring will cure.
Or as mentioned above remove turn indicator bulb.
Only had to do the fronts since it was the dash indicator light circuit that was allowing power to backfeed to the front turn signal lights.
Consult you specific bike wiring diagram.

Good Luck

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 06:50 PM
holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Danjal
Insert wit here.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #12
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I hope someone can answer my question.

I have a 2002 XR250 BAJA (Japan Model MD30). It had an audible flasher relay when I got it. I replaced the crappy broken turn signals with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180659708257...M-34422.R2.TR2

Also, the bike came with front running lights. The orange and orange/white wires and the lite blue and lite/blue/white wires have been jumpered. I've done the same thing with the new wiring harness that I bought from Japan to replace the butchered one.

I want to replace the audible but none of the flasher relays from local scooters will work.
I don't think these are LED but they may draw to little current to make the flasher relay work.

Can I get a LED flasher relay to cure the problem?

BTW, I'm in Vietnam so it's not like I can run down to Napa. I have to wait until someone can mule stuff from the US.
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
JAB OP
Unsprung Weight

Without knowing if you have LED or incan bulbs I have to guess. Here is 2 guesses. An LED flasher might work OR the bulbs do not load the flasher enough to make it work. Try shorting the blinker wires and see if the flasher works. If that happens, you need to add resistance somehow or try to find a heavy duty flasher that has a resistor or load built into it. Further guessing tells me if the new blinks were LED and the rears are incans it would make everything blink faster. Also, LEDs are polarity sensitive so make sure you have them right way around.
Good luck.