User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
gregsfrontporch OP
B00b

Oddometer: 11
Pissed Problems with TouraTech

So, I broke down last week and finally opened my wallet for a new Zumo 665, a locking mount and Accessory bar. $1,025. TT has a policy of any order over $1,000 requires signature required delivery. I spoke with the sales staff when I placed the order and explained that I am in South Africa at the moment and will not be able to sign for the package when it arrives. Can they forego the requirement? Maybe they could be a bit creative and break it into 2 shipments. No can do.
I've gotten an email today from UPS indicating a 2nd attempt. They will try and deliver one more time, then it goes back to the sender
This is frustrating, it seems that TT is the go to shop for GS farkles, but if this is the kind of service they provide, I can't work with them. How will they support me when I'm on the road in Central America and need a part ASAP.
Has anyone else had similar experience? Any suggestions on how to handle this? I would prefer not to black list such a large distributer, but then....
Does anyone recommend a more customer oriented vendor that I can splash my cash around?

Cheers,
gregsfrontporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
Capt. REDBEARD
TWECO

Oddometer: 1,074
about 90% of what they have - someone else has made better and for less $.

if the ocean were whiskey and I were a duck - I'd swim to the bottom and never come up
Capt. REDBEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
bobbybeemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsfrontporch View Post
So, I broke down last week and finally opened my wallet for a new Zumo 665, a locking mount and Accessory bar. $1,025. TT has a policy of any order over $1,000 requires signature required delivery. I spoke with the sales staff when I placed the order and explained that I am in South Africa at the moment and will not be able to sign for the package when it arrives. Can they forego the requirement? Maybe they could be a bit creative and break it into 2 shipments. No can do.
I've gotten an email today from UPS indicating a 2nd attempt. They will try and deliver one more time, then it goes back to the sender
This is frustrating, it seems that TT is the go to shop for GS farkles, but if this is the kind of service they provide, I can't work with them. How will they support me when I'm on the road in Central America and need a part ASAP.
Has anyone else had similar experience? Any suggestions on how to handle this? I would prefer not to black list such a large distributer, but then....
Does anyone recommend a more customer oriented vendor that I can splash my cash around?

Cheers,
Go to you UPS tracking and have UPS delv to a different addy. You can do that online. Send it to a buddy or your office or your mom or lady friend
Had the same issue once and it will help to call UPS or email them.
bobbybeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Like others have said, contact UPS and have them hold it at their office/shipping center for pick up. You should be able to look up the local UPS depot's phone number and call them directly.

I haven't done this with UPS or FedEx but I have had the same mailman for years, when I am expecting a package and I know I won't be there to receive it, he will let me pre-sign a blank "receipt" and leave it with him. I wonder if UPS will let you do the same (I know they use the electronic pads now but they may have a paper backup system).
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
Railbender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMoto View Post

I haven't done this with UPS or FedEx but I have had the same mailman for years, when I am expecting a package and I know I won't be there to receive it, he will let me pre-sign a blank "receipt" and leave it with him. I wonder if UPS will let you do the same (I know they use the electronic pads now but they may have a paper backup system).
I used to do that all the time before I retired. The UPS driver even gave be a whole pad of receipt forms, of course he had that route for many years and knew all of his regular customers.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,637
If TT has what you want, you could always make two orders, since they won't/can't.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
I have found that sometimes you need to go up the food supply line a step or two at TT .
Overall I am happy with what I have got from them .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsfrontporch View Post

Cheers,
If i am hearing this right, they have this policy, which you knew about, but then ordered anyway and are now upset about it?

Maybe you should have ordered from another supplier or perhaps you should have ordered the shipments separately.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
gregsfrontporch OP
B00b

Oddometer: 11
So, looking at my email, it appears that it was finally delivered.
Just to clarify things a bit. i am pretty much a nomad, meaning I haven't had a residence in over 8 years, I work in the field then try to spread my time off among different friend's couches. (I'm currently in Cape Town, flying home tonight, nothing like a pair of 11+ hour flights to get home) That being said, I have no relationship with the UPS driver. I sent the shipment to the place I will be staying, but they people that live there have real jobs (unlike mine) and thus waiting around for a delivery would be asking a bit much of them. Usually UPS leaves a voucher to sign and leave at the door, but apparently the voucher they left had "void" printed in the appropriate line.
Anyway, haven't spoke to my friends there, but as I said the package made it, somehow.
I did talk to TT at the time of the order and explained to them that sig required would not work but the processed the order anyway. I did not know that the order was sig required until after the order was placed.

As for TT, I don't believe I lost my temper with anyone there, but I did relate my displeasure. I got a response from the sales associate explaining that they had full honest and good intent, things just didn't work out properly this time.
I'm still disappointed though, and feel that they could have been either a bit more accommodating or could have done a bit of a better job disclosing their policy. Apparently this order even if it was under $1,000, would still have been sig required because it was a GPS unit. They have been burnt by fraudulent orders for these before.

Oh well,

Thanks for the feedback
gregsfrontporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 743
Glad it worked out for you. I called Touratech here in Germany to see about purchasing some extra mounting hardware for a panier rack on a KTM, and they just sent it to me for free...
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
I thought it was ups policy for signature over $1000? I've had to sign for other packages from other companies when I placed orders over $1000. Yes, it's inconvenient but not Touratechs's fault.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote