User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
baloneyskin daddy OP
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,946
How many miles

I've been riding some sort of 2 wheeled vehicle for over 40 yrs and would have a hard time remembering some of the bikes I 've owned over the yrs let alone have kept an accounting of miles ridden. Yet I continually read posts from inmates that state how many miles they have under their belts. Do riders really do this or is it just a way of boasting? I guess if you only owned a few bikes and kept record of their mileage it's possible but what about dirt riding or riding someone elses bike?
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
Doan fret about it. Worry about how much time/miles you have left. I've been legally owning/riding since the 60's and couldn't guess the mileage. Rounds fired doan mean squat, what counts is you been there and made it home.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,051
I've only been riding a few years, and have only owned two bikes, so keeping track of mileage is easy. I also keep a detailed Excel file on every bit of maintenance/farkling work I do to my bikes. I include the date and mileage for each entry. I doubt I'll stop doing this, so I'll always have a good estimate of miles ridden (excluding dirt miles, but honestly they wouldn't add much onto my total).

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Miles acquired can be easy to track for some. I'm 27, been riding since 22. My first bike I have 15k on(easy number) and I'm at 1k on my second. I plan on only owning that bike for a LONG time so it will be easy to keep track of.

I would imagine a lot of those numbers get inflated over time. But overall a lot of miles means someone is paying attention and being a relatively safe rider.

Dirt miles are great, but a persons skill in dirt can't be defined with a number. Too many variables.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #5
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
I've been riding some sort of 2 wheeled vehicle for over 40 yrs and would have a hard time remembering some of the bikes I 've owned over the yrs let alone have kept an accounting of miles ridden. Yet I continually read posts from inmates that state how many miles they have under their belts. Do riders really do this or is it just a way of boasting? I guess if you only owned a few bikes and kept record of their mileage it's possible but what about dirt riding or riding someone elses bike?

Some do.

I remember seeing like 11,000 hours on an old KX250, and I've had three bikes with the 6 figure mileage on them.

....how many miles overall? Who knows.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
It's more or less a best approximation. I know the five bikes I had in my 12 years of riding, at what mileage they were sold and more or less how much I have to subtract for times they were ridden by others. My mileage per year was nearly constant with one or two exceptions.
At last when I say this year I will reach the 100k miles mark, it's not that important if it is in spring or in autumn as it's not relevant if it's really 90k or 110k miles.

In the last two years I kept track of my mileage even more to better estimate how much of my earned money I have to budget for riding, so I think in the next decades the numbers will get even more accurate.
Of course, posting it is a bit of boasting.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,751
Quote:
Wondered the same thing myself at times. Last fall ran into a rider with a 200k miles patch on their spiffy leather vest. After a brief conversation found out they have only ridden on the street and calculated mileage ridden by keeping detailed maintenance records on 6 or so street bikes. Can't even imagine figuring how many miles I did as a kid in the dirt. Been riding on and offroad for over 30 years. All I know is that I have ridden a lot of miles and have enjoyed all of them with few exceptions.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:04 AM   #8
D R
----

Oddometer: 466
I got this last year:

My current motorcycle is my second motorcycle ever owned - purchased in the spring of 2006. My first motorcycle was in the mid 1980s and I've no idea of the mileage ridden; probably between 20-25,000 miles. I doubt anyone here can give an accounting of total miles ridden, accurrate to the exact mile. I know my total "BMW miles ridden" is more than the "offical" count because I didn't include miles for test rides and those ridden on loaner bikes while mine was undergoing maintenance.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
A lotta peeps drone around, slab'in on the freewayz fer the sole purpose of bragging 'bout all their miles, butt slab'in ain't ride'in.

I've been ride'in 'bout as long as you Opie, and it's easy to figure miles roughly; just look at how many miles ya rolled up on each bike.
3 yrs ago I dun bought me a used FJR w/ 8,500 mi, and it now has 66,000 +/- miles.
Last yer I bought me an FZ6 w/ 5,500, and it now has 12,000 mi. and so on. I figure in the 38 yrs I've had me a street endorsement, I put on close too 1/2 a million hard ass miles avoid'in the freewayz whenever possible.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Exact miles, no. But it's not all that hard to get a decent approximation if you're a street rider, depending on how many bikes you go through. I have tended to keep decent track of mine, because I use my bike for daily transport, including for my business (thus I get to write off a lot of the miles). Plus I don't change bikes much -- my current bike I've had for almost 20 years and have put over 200K on it, so there's my starting point. I'm at about 360 to 370K lifetime.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
C-47brett
El Guano!

Oddometer: 8
I tried keeping track for a long time. Always frustrated I could never ride as much as I wanted or as much as many others get to.
Got over ALL of that.

8000- maybe 10,000 a year is all I'm gonna get. I don't keep track except for oil changes, and I'm just happy for every (safe) mile!!!!!

One really good crash changes many a man's perspective on such things......

Wheels: (3) GS Adv's, (3) Ducatis, (2) Hodakas, (6) other BMW + Yamaha/Harley/Honda
Wings: Pitts Special, T-6, C-47, Ju-52, Lear 45, Turbo Commander
C-47brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Skooter
people suck

Oddometer: 289
One day while surfing another motorcycle forum, a startling thought occurred:

I'll bet alot of these guys are lying.

But that's beside the point. I passed the 125,000 mile mark last week. Go ahead and prove me wrong.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,105
Quote:
Yet I continually read posts from inmates that state how many miles they have under their belts. Do riders really do this
Is this a trick question.?.you say you read something then asked if anybody does this.

I know what you are saying though..

On a cruiser it does say how often you ride..5,000 miles on a 10 year old bike [probably a Harley ] says I ride when it is sunny and thats about it...

Same bike with 45,000 miles says I ride..!!

It is quite obvious that some riders believe the higher the miles the better the ride,why else would you hear it so often..

You hear the same thing from some snowmobilers ..dude I did like 200 miles Sat..Wooohooo...some people stop to smell the roses other people ride right past them and never even notice.
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
raebear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Some do.

I remember seeing like 11,000 hours on an old KX250, and I've had three bikes with the 6 figure mileage on them.

....how many miles overall? Who knows.
Unless you had a visitation from the almighty I don't see how you saw that, a KX250 has no odo and no electronics to keep track. Just saying.
raebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,937
Been riding for 50 years this past January. Been working on other peoples bikes for 30 of those. I probably have more miles on other's bikes than some do on their own. Does it matter? Nah. It'll matter if I get to the point where I can't do it anymore.