Old 10-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #496
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
Chris got ahead of Ned!?

Sweet.
Ned is NEVER going to hear the end of it.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #497
jenduro
sister and spectator

Oddometer: 54
Go Ned Go!

Just catching up (Ned's nephew was just born last week, so things are wild here too) but thanks as ever to all of you for keeping us at home in the loop. Ned - have fun out there! Lots of love from your sister and the whole family!!!!
jenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #498
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Really fun time learning how to navigate today. Made some big mistakes but had a great time. Wish it was double the miles so I could get more experience. :)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #499
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
Really fun time learning how to navigate today. Made some big mistakes but had a great time. Wish it was double the miles so I could get more experience. :)

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
Best way to learn......by fu#$^ing up! Good job
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #500
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Ned is NEVER going to hear the end of it.

Just talked to Chris, he had a blast today. He said the first stage was awesome and the roadbook was dead on. Stage 2 was also awesome, but the navigation got a little tricky.

Cross Country (Tony G) had a great ride today but lost his clutch. He's working on fixing it and is planning on riding tomorrow either way. Fingers crossed he gets it sorted out!

It sounds like the group of riders and support crews gathered for this event are an incredible crowd of people. I'm really regretting not making the trip.

I was watching 4 different spot pages while at work today which turned out to be a bad idea. Maybe I'll just watch c.vestal's tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #501
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillUA View Post
i think a UTV class is on order next year
yeah would be good
Old 10-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #502
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,690
Posting from bed:

26OA. Tricky nav but it was just paying attention that got the best of me. Besides differences if opinion in what a water pump and rut look line on the roadbook, it was all there. Maybe some detail to be filled in but for the first year minor going to complain.

Really good ride with a lot of good trails. A shirt section of Classic Baja single track, some beach riding, a lot of rocks ruts and even some whoops. I didn't have signal at the lunch stop so I couldn't update. We were really out there most of the day.

Bike ran well and even better with Sunoco 100. That darned pinging went away for a while, until the wash and 260 deg oil temps.

I'm told I wasn't tracking today even though it was "on." I hope it works tomorrow. "OK" messages when I can though for sure. My family is driving the chase truck so I have to keep them updated.

Goodnight. Spot link below.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...2KQJRQXtzP6NLW
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #503
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Posting from bed:

26OA. Tricky nav but it was just paying attention that got the best of me. Besides differences if opinion in what a water pump and rut look line on the roadbook, it was all there. Maybe some detail to be filled in but for the first year minor going to complain.

Really good ride with a lot of good trails. A shirt section of Classic Baja single track, some beach riding, a lot of rocks ruts and even some whoops. I didn't have signal at the lunch stop so I couldn't update. We were really out there most of the day.

Bike ran well and even better with Sunoco 100. That darned pinging went away for a while, until the wash and 260 deg oil temps.

I'm told I wasn't tracking today even though it was "on." I hope it works tomorrow. "OK" messages when I can though for sure. My family is driving the chase truck so I have to keep them updated.

Spot worked only in the beginning and at the end . Good job out there! Looks like fun. I'll be following tomorrow and if it happens next year I won't miss it!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #504
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Fantastic stuff! Thanks everyone who posted. I guess the rest we all too tired?

Really interesting to see the results for Day 1.

Ride safe tomorrow guys, abd bring it home!!!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #505
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Posting from bed:

We had a few problems with this on the Kings of the West ride and had to stop riders @ the next roadcrossing or checkpoint to get their tracking going again when they wouldn't show up on SPOTWalla where we were tracking all of the riders on one page

Copied and pasted from the SPOT FAQ's page:

Turn the unit on, wait 2 seconds, and hold the OK button until the light is no longer solid and begins blinking together with the ON/OFF button. This cycle should last 24 hours or until cancelled. If the light goes off after 20 minutes, then you did not successfully put the unit into tracking mode, but into OK mode instead.

If SPOT has a GPS fix, then it will transmit a message every 10 minutes for 24 hours. To use tracking mode again after a continuous 24 hour period, you will need to reinitiate tracking mode.

Messages can be viewed on the Messages tab of your login account and if you have set up a Shared Page ahead of time, Track messages will be visible there.

Remember there is a 15-minute delay from the time the message appears in your account until it appears on your Shared page.

Since the functions share the same button, if you have initiated an OK cycle, you may not initiate Tracking until the OK cycle is complete, or unless you turn the SPOT off and back on again. The tracking function does not override OK. A good rule of thumb is if the OK light is already blinking then you cannot start something new.

You may cancel tracking by holding the OK button down while you are in a Track cycle. The light will begin flashing RED and then it will go solid indicating it is attempting to send a Track Cancel message. Then, the OK light will cease flashing completely.

Hope this helps
Good luck everyone and ride safe

airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #506
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
I'm just finishing my work for the day (night). Lots of problems with the SPOTs and GPSs.

I think some people didn't pay SPOT for tracking, and still don't know you don't get tracking if you don't pay extra for it. Many who did have tracking didn't mount the SPOT in a good position, so the tracking was "spotty". There were other issues with the SPOT activities that made tracking very problematic for us. I know you all want to track everyone, but as with Dakar, you (spectators) should never really know were anyone is. If I gave you all those links, I'd have to shoot you!

Lots of people had GPS track recording problems, and received big time penalties for large sections of missing tracks. I spent 8 hours downloading and checking everyone's GPS after the finish. Andy Grider and Larry Roeseler both had GPS issues, so now they have two of my spares. Andy saw his problem before the start, so got my spare before things went bad. Larry got 3 hours of penalties for his late discovery!

There was one particular point on the course where the roadbook was a bit sketchy. Some lost a few minutes there. I think Ned lost an hour or more. he was running a strong 3rd up to that point. Only a couple of beginners made the mistake and went the right way by accident!

It's late, I gotta go!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #507
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,992
Go Baja Dad (Mark V)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #508
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Go Baja Dad (Mark V)
Thanks Troy
Fun day yesterday had some good times Keep me to the finish 10th overall yesterday After all penalties were assessed ended up seventh for the day Including a 30 minute penalty for myself
Had one little miss excursion at the beginning of the dunes made that back up
My knee is little sore but I'm gonna give it a go this morning
Got go!!! Start time Is less than an hour away
Old 10-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #509
gun 4 hire
FTR SSR #90b

Oddometer: 128
The BAJA RALLY de MOTOS

Great info and updates ... Thanks to those folks staying up late to relay first hand info.... Very much appreciated !

Rooting for everyone in this thing .... Shouting out in special support for Brent Tex from the Key West FTR Posse ! Keep it up my man !

All who wander sure as heck ain't lost
87 Honda Rebel 450 {soon to be ratted}
http://tat09.blogspot.com/
gun 4 hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #510
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Day 2

Good luck today gents & gal! And a big thanks to all who've help put this inaugural rally together. Good stuff! And to those inmates who are making posts after a long day of racing....................WOW, extra KUDO's!!! Thanks
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote