ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
joerc211v OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
coeur d alene living/riding?

Might be taking a job in CDA. I'm living in Fort Collins CO right now. Nice size town lots of bars breweries (college town). Closest single track is an hour in the truck. The good stuff is 2+. Is CDA really single track paradise? Is it pretty wet in the summer. I lived on the Oregon Coast for a couple years in the 90's. Beautiful place but I like the sunshine! What are your guys thoughts? Idaho state income tax is steep. I would be taking the job for less stress and a few less hours. Possible 4 day work week. One weekend day required to work.
Thanks
JoeEMS
joerc211v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Gah you luclky bastard-lol. Thats my dream location. I would kill to have a Decent job there. Killer riding, 1/2 hr to spokane, extremely scenic, four full seasons, Montana is right there, people are super cool and laid back, low cost of living and taxes.
firecrotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I live in Spokane but my favorite off-road ridng is in north Idaho.

This place is just a few minutes from downtown CDA.
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha One Nine View Post
I live in Spokane but my favorite off-road ridng is in north Idaho.

This place is just a few minutes from downtown CDA.
I rode there in 2009. It was actually my first out of state trail riding and was a month after getting my 530. CF mt.
Bungholio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,968
I bought an '07 DL1000 in Sandpoint a few years ago with 6800 miles on the clock for $3800.00 if that helps.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
shortbus4x4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I moved here a year and a half ago from Humboldt County CA. There is lots of riding, you can even get kits to put on your bike to ride it in the snow. My riding buddy from CA that moved here about 6 years before me lives about 30 minutes north of Sandpoint and says he can do about 80 miles of SINGLE track from his front door. My Snap-on guy has his quad street licensed even. Everything is cheaper here than CA except for sales tax on food. As far as weather it is lots sunnier than the coast and drier too. I don't think it rains much but some of the locals seem to think so. Sun is the one reason we moved, my wife couldn't handle the overcast greyness anymore.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,979
Some of my favorite road rides are through that area in the May-October range, I generally stay near Spirit Lake for a few days in May.
The loop around to Troy Mt is always good.
From November to April you had better like snow a lot, or get a trailer and bring the bike and the golf cart to Lewiston any time of year.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkweewee View Post
I bought an '07 DL1000 in Sandpoint a few years ago with 6800 miles on the clock for $3800.00 if that helps.
Yeah,,but he never rides it!
It's blue, matches his eyes,,he shines it a lot,,
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
I live right in Cda and can ride from there to Montana on almost all single track. There's a group of us single trackers that ride every weekend most of the year. PM me when you get in town and I'll show you the trails. There is some super fun relaxing trails all the way up to super gnarly...

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
XR4EVER
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,083
Wait.... You are moving here FOR work?!! That is a first!

There are trails in/near CDA, but the good stuff (endless singletrack) is about 30-45 minutes drive from there. Canfield gets old, but I guess it's better than nothing. If you are moving here to ride, live in Pinehurst and drive over the pass for work in CDA like I used to. It is a great little town. Rent for a 2BR house with a garage was $350 a month, and I could ride from my doorstep.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
If you like Ft Collins, you will probably like CDA, even though the pachyderm herd here is at time a bit overwhelming. Lots of great riding near here, and a vibrant scene in town, if you are into that.. The outlying small towns are pretty quiant for most folks taste. Bring yer bike an yer guns and have a rootin tootin time!
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,772
JoeEMS - let me know how it goes, my wife is considering a job in Sandpoint which means I would be a CO transplant in the area as well. I'm kinda spoiled living in Woodland Park, so I'm hoping it will be comparable in the ST department.
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 2,203
I thought the Coeur d'Alene itself was one big traffic jam (compared to Dry Shitties). Real estate seemed expensive at least close to town although that could have changed in the last few years. The best any city can claim is it is CLOSE to good riding...

The other thing to keep in mind is that whole area including Spokane has very few good jobs (if the one you get doesn't work out.)
Tiger 800 - FOR SALE
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Duke View Post
JoeEMS - let me know how it goes, my wife is considering a job in Sandpoint which means I would be a CO transplant in the area as well. I'm kinda spoiled living in Woodland Park, so I'm hoping it will be comparable in the ST department.
Within 45 minutes there is some of the best. Huge mix of terrain and skill level. XRs4ever hit the nail on the head.... Wallace and silver valley is awesome. Canfield is fine for quick trips. Batey Boukd is an hour. 30 minutes to bay view... Mckrosky, st joe, freeze out. Moyie is close if you're in Sandpoint. Camp where ever you want, etc.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #15
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,979
Tonight

I have to agree with everyone who loves the area since I go there and enjoy it also but winter is long there. If you love snowmobiles too you will be in paradise, just make sure you get a place that will hold lots of toys.
A road not too foar from CDA tonight BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!